Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Yet Another Wrestling Recruit.

Now admittedly, I know next to nothing about how wrestling recruiting works, or what InterMat does, but to the untrained eye it looks like little random schools are signing insane numbers of wrestlers. Heidelburg with 29 in one day, Tri-State with 22, Ursinus with 26, Grand Canyon with 40-some and even NIACC with 33! Now, I can understand a CC/JC having a big class, since they only have two grades, and those kids probably want the good training they'll get from a particular school if they want to wrestle in big D-I programs. But am I totally missing something? Why is it that little third-rate schools are signing scads of players in just one year, whereas the big wrestling powers sign maybe three or four over the same time period?

Also, Oklahoma City has a women's wrestling program. Huh. I hope it involves mud, but I doubt it. (Kidding! Kidding! Female wrestlers are athletes as well, and deserve the exact same respect as male ones. Also, they could probably bend my legs until the bones snap.)

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

There signees are either academic casualties of big programs, wrestlers who are looking to move up a division after 2 years, or guys who are such academic reaches that they might not make it to a JUCO. These guys are usually no where near the quality of wrestlers we are getting in most cases.

There are some wrestlers who are of Division 1 caliber that have legitimate reasons for going to Div. 2, 3, NAIA, etc. These reasons include academics, staying close to home, friends at that college, or good relationships with the coaching staff.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 810
    Given: 786

Man, at first I thought we'd get people to come because of the name Cael alone, but last year he proved he can coach too. I am very excited about next season!

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

At Council Bluffs tailgater I won a flattened Wheaties box signed by Cael of his box and I may stupidly asked him to also sign which he humbly did. I thanked him for giving the university more hope for the future. My perhaps sideways thinking was it was more valuable to me to not just have a Cael signed Wheaties box, but to also have JP who hired him to sign and started us on our way to greatness in wrestling circles again. How many Wheaties box have the Undefeated Cael and the bold JP who has hired great coaches in such a short time. How many times has 5 or 6 great coaches been hired in various sports in period of two years at one school. I call him JP the Bold. Cael going No 2 in his first year as coach is actually unbelievable. Take that Dan Gable.

Last edited by Wesley; 06-11-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    and even NIACC with 33!
    I know in NIACC's case they are starting a new program next year. They have not had wrestling since 1976. Basically they have no Sophmores so that is the one reason for the high number of recruits.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    At Council Bluffs tailgater I won a flattened Wheaties box signed by Cael of his box and I may stupidly asked him to also sign which he humbly did. I thanked him for giving the university more hope for the future. My perhaps sideways thinking was it was more valuable to me to not just have a Cael signed Wheaties box, but to also have JP who hired him to sign and started us on our way to greatness in wrestling circles again. How many Wheaties box have the Undefeated Cael and the bold JP who has hired great coaches in such a short time. How many times has 5 or 6 great coaches been hired in various sports in period of two years at one school. I call him JP the Bold. Cael going No 2 in his first year as coach is actually unbelievable. Take that Dan Gable.

Wesley... If I have ever witnessed a written "word salad," there it was.

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cypwr View Post
    I know in NIACC's case they are starting a new program next year. They have not had wrestling since 1976. Basically they have no Sophmores so that is the one reason for the high number of recruits.
    I can't believe the number of out-of-staters Niacc signed. For a first year program that is kind of impressive. I figured they would just get a bunch of in-staters.