Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 771,317, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,787
    Points
    771,317
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 494
    Given: 125

    Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Here's a feature on Austen Arnaud's high school and college career from Ian Smith. Good stuff in here including quotes from Arnaud's high school coaches, etc.

    Iowa State Football: Austen Arnaud prepares for his final season at Iowa State | Cyclone Fanatic


    Last edited by ChrisMWilliams; 08-09-2010 at 06:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,004, Level: 77
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,246
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,994
    Points
    62,004
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 109

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    A nice win against NIU and then a huge win @ Iowa to start out this season would get this guy very focused on the upcoming B12 games. Win the opener, and perform well and beat Iowa, AA could be dangerous and confident.

    You would have to think, since this kid has been a Cyclone his entire life that he has the Iowa game circled on his calendar. He hasn't beaten Iowa yet as the ISU starting QB. He had moments in '08 on a wet field in IC, but we didn't get it done. Then, the turnovers in last year's game. This guy wants to perform well in that game, it just has to be eating at him. It would be HUGE for his confidence to start the season sharp. Be poised and ready for a good one with NIU, and be absolutly ready for the road game at Iowa.


    Last edited by WalkingCY; 08-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 269,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,445
    Points
    269,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    AA will either leave a hero this year or Bret Meyer part deaux (never living up to expectations after glimpses of awesomeness). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    The way Arnaud put the team on his back in the 2nd half against UNLV a couple seasons ago was phenomenal. The throw between defenders to Sumral in the end zone - wow...the key first down and then some run was a thing of beauty.

    The only other quarterback we've had that has really shown this ability is Seneca.

    Arnaud just needs to exercise some demons early this fall. Tools all there, just needs the confidence. A very strong performance against NIU and a good showing against Iowa would be a great start.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 37,597, Level: 59
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,411
    Points
    37,597
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 54

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    A nice win against NIU and then a huge win @ Iowa to start out this season would get this guy very focused on the upcoming B12 games. Win the opener, and perform well and beat Iowa, AA could be dangerous and confident. . . . Be poised and ready for a good one with NIU, and be absolutly ready for the road game at Iowa.
    Mind a different perspective? Iowa's just not on my radar. Individual teams aren't on my radar, really. CPR and staff have me thinking consistency. Thinking about a high level of play game-to-game. If we do that, maybe we can be a surprise despite the nation's toughest football schedule.

    We can knock off Iowa; heck yes, it can be done. If we lose, though, I hope Austen does not suffer a loss of confidence and poise. He needs to be consistently good every week for us to have a chance at six or seven wins.

    In other words, hopefully an Iowa win or loss will have little impact on Austen's performance.

    May the football gods who inhabit Mount Ocheyedan permit our defense to gel early. . . .


    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

    We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 431,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,786
    Points
    431,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 14

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Key to Arnaud beating Iowa = doing what he knows and staying calm. If he tries to win the game, he'll lose it. If he just lets things come to him, we'll be in it until the end. Herman needs to help here too. We ran it down their throats last year to start the game, no reason to get away from it if its working. If Sash and Greenwood want to take away the deep stuff, go underneath. Once they do creep up, take your shot deep. Sash does play aggressive and will get burned if you pick your spots correctly.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 275,790, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,928
    Points
    275,790
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Key to Arnaud beating Iowa = doing what he knows and staying calm. If he tries to win the game, he'll lose it. If he just lets things come to him, we'll be in it until the end. Herman needs to help here too. We ran it down their throats last year to start the game, no reason to get away from it if its working. If Sash and Greenwood want to take away the deep stuff, go underneath. Once they do creep up, take your shot deep. Sash does play aggressive and will get burned if you pick your spots correctly.
    Yes. Sash is a ballhawk who should be susceptible to double moves and pump fakes.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 24,326, Level: 47
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    isugcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Waverly
    Posts
    1,591
    Points
    24,326
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Great article.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 73,897, Level: 84
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,517
    Points
    73,897
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 13

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    hopefully herman can figure out how to score a touchdown this year against iowa. no reason A-rob cant punch one in-- the way we were able to run the ball last season against them.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 94,490, Level: 95
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,789
    Points
    94,490
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 367

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    You would have to think, since this kid has been a Cyclone his entire life that he has the Iowa game circled on his calendar. He hasn't beaten Iowa yet as the ISU starting QB. He had moments in '08 on a wet field in IC, but we didn't get it done. Then, the turnovers in last year's game. This guy wants to perform well in that game, it just has to be eating at him. It would be HUGE for his confidence to start the season sharp.
    I assume he wants to have a better showing after what happened last season, but I also hope he doesn't psyche himself out and force it (as another post above suggested).

    I think he wanted to beat Iowa pretty badly last year, and he seemed to look tentative. That was probably a combination of a new system and the hype of that game. I hope he doesn't put extra pressure on himself just for that game.


    Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here's a featuring on Austen Arnaud's high school and college career from Ian Smith.

    A what...?

    A GRAIL???



    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 275,790, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,928
    Points
    275,790
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    hopefully herman can figure out how to score a touchdown this year against iowa. no reason A-rob cant punch one in-- the way we were able to run the ball last season against them.
    Who cares about a TD? I would prefer a win. A final of 2-0 ISU would make me happy as a clam!


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,855, Level: 63
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,436
    Points
    42,855
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 134

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    AA will either leave a hero this year or Bret Meyer part deaux (never living up to expectations after glimpses of awesomeness). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    I completely agree, I'm not sure theres ever been a player that ISU fans want to see suceed more than AA. I really hope things come together for him, but I think he can go down as a Cyclone great without putting up huge numbers this year. Honestly, a bowl game this year would with this schedule would exceed anything the last few QB's did. This guy is a winner and a great team guy, thats what I hope for his legacy at ISU.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 12,260, Level: 33
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    643
    Points
    12,260
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    What I noticed in Austen's comment was the word "excited" - this is a danger sign. He needs to control his emotions more during the game (what might help him during the Iowa game is the pink locker room). I'm glad he's striving towards improvement though. He is a good guy and we're all pulling for him this year.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 38,320, Level: 60
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,866
    Points
    38,320
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 3

    Re: Austen Arnaud: Fulfilling a legacy

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The way Arnaud put the team on his back in the 2nd half against UNLV a couple seasons ago was phenomenal. The throw between defenders to Sumral in the end zone - wow...the key first down and then some run was a thing of beauty.

    The only other quarterback we've had that has really shown this ability is Seneca.

    Arnaud just needs to exercise some demons early this fall. Tools all there, just needs the confidence. A very strong performance against NIU and a good showing against Iowa would be a great start.
    +1. People want to rag on him for making mistakes, but he has been clutch in late game situations.

    1) UNLV (great last drive)
    2) KSU (this year, great last drive)
    3) KU - great comeback
    4) KU - last year, had big lead, led one last drive to win but was dropped I believe
    5) Minnesota - getting huge first down with game on line

    Most of the above didn't end in wins, but most were because of other causes. (FG/X points/defense)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM