Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

Apartment Disaster

I rented an apartment from Campustown Property Management, I walk in for the first time, and i'm in shock of how much of a crap-hole it was...First of all, the carpet had a massive amount of stains, burn marks in it, and about 4-5 pieces of gum in it, broken railing on the balcony, broken woodworking, dirt in the vent, and stains up and down the walls, after seeing this, i went to the office and i made a complaint, and one of their associates came up with me to see all of the damage, coincidentally this was the same guy who inspected the place a couple of days earlier and said it was clean with the exception of one stain in a bedroom, he went through and wrote all of the problems down, and said someone would be there to clean it and then repaint the walls....has anyone else dealt with this situation in the past?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Apartment Disaster

It wasn't in the Legends tower was it?

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 962
    Given: 75

This is kind of on the other end of the spectrum, but back in 2000, some buddies and I rented a duplex in Northwest Ames. When it was time to move out, we were doing the standard frantic clean up, and we used a rag with bleach on it to clean the white walls. As the landlord was walking in the door to do the move out inspection, we dicovered that someone (not me) had just thrown the rag on the floor, and sure enough, a pretty good sized patch of the brown shag carpet, was bleached bright white, right in the middle of the room. So, like any quick thinking male in his twenties would do, I quickly put my foot over the bleached spot, and proceeded to pivot around in circles for the next 20 minutes, as the landlord moved around the building completing her inspection. She never saw the spot, and we got our full deposit back, but she must have thought I was an idiot spinning around in a circle in the middle of the room.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 1,120

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    This is kind of on the other end of the spectrum, but back in 2000, some buddies and I rented a duplex in Northwest Ames. When it was time to move out, we were doing the standard frantic clean up, and we used a rag with bleach on it to clean the white walls. As the landlord was walking in the door to do the move out inspection, we dicovered that someone (not me) had just thrown the rag on the floor, and sure enough, a pretty good sized patch of the brown shag carpet, was bleached bright white, right in the middle of the room. So, like any quick thinking male in his twenties would do, I quickly put my foot over the bleached spot, and proceeded to pivot around in circles for the next 20 minutes, as the landlord moved around the building completing her inspection. She never saw the spot, and we got our full deposit back, but she must have thought I was an idiot spinning around in a circle in the middle of the room.
    Most of us think you do that while you post

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 962
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Most of us think you do that while you post
    ouch. You cut me deep, Shrek. You cut me real deep just now.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    ouch. You cut me deep, Shrek. You cut me real deep just now.
    I saw the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

On topic, I'm glad that I haven't had one of these scenarios, at least not residentially.

Recruit
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    I rented an apartment from Campustown Property Management, I walk in for the first time, and i'm in shock of how much of a crap-hole it was...First of all, the carpet had a massive amount of stains, burn marks in it, and about 4-5 pieces of gum in it, broken railing on the balcony, broken woodworking, dirt in the vent, and stains up and down the walls, after seeing this, i went to the office and i made a complaint, and one of their associates came up with me to see all of the damage, coincidentally this was the same guy who inspected the place a couple of days earlier and said it was clean with the exception of one stain in a bedroom, he went through and wrote all of the problems down, and said someone would be there to clean it and then repaint the walls....has anyone else dealt with this situation in the past?
    If you partied like we did when we lived on Welch Ave you would've just left it all broke and dirty because it will be like by next August anyway

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 411

dude, you have to document all the problems now. less you be charged for them when you exit the crap hole that you signed up for sight unseen.

QUOTE=bostrem00;1842968]I rented an apartment from Campustown Property Management, I walk in for the first time, and i'm in shock of how much of a crap-hole it was...First of all, the carpet had a massive amount of stains, burn marks in it, and about 4-5 pieces of gum in it, broken railing on the balcony, broken woodworking, dirt in the vent, and stains up and down the walls, after seeing this, i went to the office and i made a complaint, and one of their associates came up with me to see all of the damage, coincidentally this was the same guy who inspected the place a couple of days earlier and said it was clean with the exception of one stain in a bedroom, he went through and wrote all of the problems down, and said someone would be there to clean it and then repaint the walls....has anyone else dealt with this situation in the past?[/QUOTE]

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Here's my house rental horror story and it's long. When I went to look at the house, the landlord was in the middle of fixing it up. He was sanding the cupboards in the kitchen and, painting the walls in most of the house and just doing general repair work. So he had a lot of equipment, tools, electrical cables, buckets, brooms and whatnot scattered all throughout the house. I took this as a good sign. He takes care of his properties. So I agreed to rent the house.

I signed the rental agreement on the spot and he gave me a set of keys to the place. I wasn't going to be moving in for three weeks and he said that was fine because it would give him time to finish up.

Moving time was fast approaching, so I went to the house on a Wednesday (I was moving on the weekend) and, if anything, the house looked in worse shape than it had before. Nothing had been picked up (in fact, it looked messier) and, as far as I could tell, no progress had been made at all on the repairs in the 2 1/2 weeks since I had first looked at the house.

I called him up and said I was concerned that nothing had been done and told him "you're aware I'm moving in this weekend, right?" He said not to worry, everything would be fixed and the house would be cleaned up before the movers got there. I was a little skeptical, but what was I to do?

So moving day comes, I get to the house about an hour before the movers because they stopped somewhere along the way to eat. You guessed it. Absolutely NOTHING had been done. I didn't know how I was going to move in with tools and extension cords and buckets and painting supplies and ladders scattered all over my living room floor. The kitchen cabinets had not been reassembled and there was a fine yellow/light brown film of dust from sanding the cabinets over every surface of the kitchen. The stove looked like someone had cooked poop soup on it without a pot.

I called this ******* up and read him the riot act. My movers will be here any second. What are you planning to do about this ********?

"oh , are you moving in today?" I could have literally reached right through the phone and strangled him. I said, "yes, I told you my moving date on at least three other occasions and just got done telling you three days ago, when you assured me you would take care of this mess."

"Oh, I'll be right over." In what I would soon learn was a habit of his, his "right over" meant an hour. My movers got there before he did. What a jerk. And when he got there, he was by himself. I was DAMNED if I was going to help him clean his mess up.

So here I am, watching this incompetent ***hat, trying to clean up an 8-hour mess in 30 minutes while movers tried to work around him. I had no choice but to move in. What was I going to do, let my furniture sit on their truck for a day or two? The movers are scurrying around the house and every time they pass me, they roll their eyes at me and shake their heads in sympathy over me having to deal with this loser.

The movers finally got done and left and I told the guy, "I am so furious right now, that I'm going to leave for a couple of hours and you can finish cleaning this mess."

When I return, feces for brains has left and has also not lived up to his end of the deal ... again. He has left the bathroom a mess and has not begun to touch the yellowish dust all over my kitchen. I call him again. It's about 4:30 p.m. by this time.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Well, I got the worst of it cleaned up and decided to call it a day."

"No, you didn't get the worst of it cleaned up. What about my kitchen? Do you expect me to live with this kitchen, or are you expecting me to clean up YOUR mess? Pigs will fly before I'll touch a mess you should have cleaned up weeks ago."

"Well, I'll be over in about an hour. Two hours later, he shows up with some help."

To make a long story less long, they naturally did a half-***ed job "cleaning" up the kitchen. He mopped the bathroom, leaving about a half-inch of water standing in there. (He's really the most incompetent person I think I've ever seen.)

Despite my pledge not to lift a finger to clean his mess, I was forced to after he left again about 8:30 and left things undone. They missed a lot of the film in the kitchen and I had to remop the bathroom, twice, because "I'm not very good at cleaning," he told me apologetically. No crap, Rainman.

So over the next several weeks, I got the pleasure of entertaining this dirtwad in my home as he continued to come over and address putting the cabinets back together at his leisure before he lost interest in it completely.

They still weren't completely put together when I finally got fed up and moved out a few years later. And he never did get more competent. Whenever I'd ask him to fix something, he'd come over an hour later (if he came at all) and not have the proper tools. How do you fix a plumbing problem without a pipe wrench? How do you work on something under the house without a flashlight? How do you screw in a door handle on a cabinet without a screwdriver?

Last edited by LindenCy; 08-07-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Filter Avoidance

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

when will people learn? campustown is the crappiest business organization in ames

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

[QUOTE=CycloneErik;1842997]I saw the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.QUOTE]
    ...you took it. AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT! Cyclone Erik the rules of this site are not flexable, nor am I. Either obey them or you are history, is that clear?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    Here's my house rental horror story and it's long. When I went to look at the house, the landlord was in the middle of fixing it up. He was sanding the cupboards in the kitchen and, painting the walls in most of the house and just doing general repair work. So he had a lot of equipment, tools, electrical cables, buckets, brooms and whatnot scattered all throughout the house. I took this as a good sign. He takes care of his properties. So I agreed to rent the house.

I signed the rental agreement on the spot and he gave me a set of keys to the place. I wasn't going to be moving in for three weeks and he said that was fine because it would give him time to finish up.

Moving time was fast approaching, so I went to the house on a Wednesday (I was moving on the weekend) and, if anything, the house looked in worse shape than it had before. Nothing had been picked up (in fact, it looked messier) and, as far as I could tell, no progress had been made at all on the repairs in the 2 1/2 weeks since I had first looked at the house.

I called him up and said I was concerned that nothing had been done and told him "you're aware I'm moving in this weekend, right?" He said not to worry, everything would be fixed and the house would be cleaned up before the movers got there. I was a little skeptical, but what was I to do?

So moving day comes, I get to the house about an hour before the movers because they stopped somewhere along the way to eat. You guessed it. Absolutely NOTHING had been done. I didn't know how I was going to move in with tools and extension cords and buckets and painting supplies and ladders scattered all over my living room floor. The kitchen cabinets had not been reassembled and there was a fine yellow/light brown film of dust from sanding the cabinets over every surface of the kitchen. The stove looked like someone had cooked poop soup on it without a pot.

I called this ******* up and read him the riot act. My movers will be here any second. What are you planning to do about this ********?

"oh , are you moving in today?" I could have literally reached right through the phone and strangled him. I said, "yes, I told you my moving date on at least three other occasions and just got done telling you three days ago, when you assured me you would take care of this mess."

"Oh, I'll be right over." In what I would soon learn was a habit of his, his "right over" meant an hour. My movers got there before he did. What a jerk. And when he got there, he was by himself. I was DAMNED if I was going to help him clean his mess up.

So here I am, watching this incompetent ***hat, trying to clean up an 8-hour mess in 30 minutes while movers tried to work around him. I had no choice but to move in. What was I going to do, let my furniture sit on their truck for a day or two? The movers are scurrying around the house and every time they pass me, they roll their eyes at me and shake their heads in sympathy over me having to deal with this loser.

The movers finally got done and left and I told the guy, "I am so furious right now, that I'm going to leave for a couple of hours and you can finish cleaning this mess."

When I return, feces for brains has left and has also not lived up to his end of the deal ... again. He has left the bathroom a mess and has not begun to touch the yellowish dust all over my kitchen. I call him again. It's about 4:30 p.m. by this time.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Well, I got the worst of it cleaned up and decided to call it a day."

"No, you didn't get the worst of it cleaned up. What about my kitchen? Do you expect me to live with this kitchen, or are you expecting me to clean up YOUR mess? Pigs will fly before I'll touch a mess you should have cleaned up weeks ago."

"Well, I'll be over in about an hour. Two hours later, he shows up with some help."

To make a long story less long, they naturally did a half-***ed job "cleaning" up the kitchen. He mopped the bathroom, leaving about a half-inch of water standing in there. (He's really the most incompetent person I think I've ever seen.)

Despite my pledge not to lift a finger to clean his mess, I was forced to after he left again about 8:30 and left things undone. They missed a lot of the film in the kitchen and I had to remop the bathroom, twice, because "I'm not very good at cleaning," he told me apologetically. No crap, Rainman.

So over the next several weeks, I got the pleasure of entertaining this dirtwad in my home as he continued to come over and address putting the cabinets back together at his leisure before he lost interest in it completely.

They still weren't completely put together when I finally got fed up and moved out a few years later. And he never did get more competent. Whenever I'd ask him to fix something, he'd come over an hour later (if he came at all) and not have the proper tools. How do you fix a plumbing problem without a pipe wrench? How do you work on something under the house without a flashlight? How do you screw in a door handle on a cabinet without a screwdriver?
    ...Don't hold back!

Last edited by LindenCy; 08-07-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A few years later? It took a few years to be fed up with him? That makes me think he wasn't really that bad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 263

A few years later? It took a few years to be fed up with him? That makes me think he wasn't really that bad.
    He did have free access to the tools for years also.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I had very few options at that time. I had just spent a bunch of my own money on the move. I needed to stay a year or two at least before I could move again, if for no other reason than to make my investment in the move pay off. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to move but about once every two or three years.

And if anything, he's worse than I described him. He frequently called me in the middle of the month for rent money because he had an "emergency." My rent was $475. Hell, even I have money for emergencies, especially one that was "only" $475, and I don't own 20 rental houses like he does. There was a plumbing problem he never did fix because "I don't have the money." It started out as a stool that would clog up regularly. And, no, I didn't call him about a clogged stool. But it gradually grew worse and eventually got so bad, I had raw sewage coming up in my bathtub every time I used the washing machine, which was the last straw. I moved out as soon as I could after that.

Last edited by Bipolarcy; 08-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.