Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

Starting a Discussion (Not on the "bad News" coming)

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT AT DISCUSSING THE “BAD NEWS” STORY REPORTED.

Why can we not even DISCUSS this issue? People are here to discuss Cyclone Athletics…both the good and the bad. This site was founded as a place Cyclone fans could come together and discuss ISU sports. Why not even let us discuss “bad” things that happen to ISU. This site isn’t an arm of the Athletic Department, or has that what it’s become?? If you are banning discussion on this topic, you also should ban people when they trash Stevie Hicks (because he may take that the wrong way and not try as hard this season…maybe he is sensitive as well), how we will probably lose to Texas, etc. If that’s seriously what this site is coming to, then I would have to go back to CN or CR.

I’ll comply and not discuss this “bad news” but banning discussion by locking threads, moderators warning people, etc. is outrageous. It goes against everything Jeremy says why he started the site. But hey, let’s talk about the good things of the upcoming football season (looks over at the 300-lb gorilla in the corner of the room).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152
    In order for Jeremy to continue receiving the quality insider information that he obtains, it's important that he respects the wishes of the coaches, players and the entire athletic departent at times. This is one of those times.

As members of a message board owned and run by Jeremy, it is our "duty" to respect his wishes and allow him to continue to maintain the relationship he has with the Cyclone Athletic Department.

Sometimes a story comes out and rumors start from it, when all the facts are not know. Jeremy is trying to head off these rumors that could hurt innocent players and coaches.

It's really just that simple.

Walk On
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Here's what I think the situation is:

Jeremy learned of this yesterday and thought it would be no time before it got out, so he forewarned us of some news. Then sources said not to release this info due to it's sensitivity. Upon learning of that, Jeremy prob realized that he shouldn't have posted the breaking news post. It's something that everyone else here would have done if we were in Jeremy's shoes.

But what is the point of discussing this topic if we have NO IDEA what it is? All it accomplishes is practicing up on the high school girls gossip. Monkeybrow, please take it from here and throw in a punchline so I can laugh histerically in my office.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    In order for Jeremy to continue receiving the quality insider information that he obtains, it's important that he respects the wishes of the coaches, players and the entire athletic departent at times. This is one of those times.

As members of a message board owned and run by Jeremy, it is our "duty" to respect his wishes and allow him to continue to maintain the relationship he has with the Cyclone Athletic Department.

Sometimes a story comes out and rumors start from it, when all the facts are not know. Jeremy is trying to head off these rumors that could hurt innocent players and coaches.

It's really just that simple.
    I agree with you that it is our duty to respect his wishes but do you really think that athletic department officials are sitting in their office looking at CF.com and saying "Well because a bunch of internet message board posters are discussing potential rumors, I am no longer going to continue my relationship with Jermey and I will not feed him with anymore information", do you really think that's the case? Wouldn't this "source" be more upset that Jermey posted something saying "Bad news is coming but I can't tell you want it is and oh yeah, don't discuss it either." He opened the can of worms here...

Prospect
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Starting a Discussion (Not on the "bad news" coming)

I agree 100%, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever why there would be a story that some bad news is about to come out but then say he can't say what it is, then everyone is instructed not to talk about what the possible news could be. Duh, what do you expect from posting something like that. It seems pretty nieve to think that people wouldn't want to discuss or speculate something like that or just a good little ploy to try and get more people to read the site. Oh and locking the threads to prevent replys is a real good move as well, kind of like taking your ball and going home.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    I don't know how to answer this for you, because I don't know what happened either. I think that the issue is sensitive and pertains to a certain player or person, and if that is the case, a little discretion is perhaps in order. I mean we could be talking about somebody's life here. I don't think that anybody is going to stop people from saying that Hicks has been a disappointment or that the team might not do that well this fall. I am VERY skeptical about those things myself.

The issue is that Jeremy and I'm sure others on this site want to keep it from becoming a gossip site. Talking about the teams and their performances and speculating how certain players or teams will do all deal with on the field issues. If we all start speculating on what could be happening to somebody or something, that's when the rumors start, and that's unfair to players as people.

Imagine that there is a game that Bret Meyer is just off this coming year. There is a big difference between saying things like, he struggled because of pass rush or good coverage downfield, or anything else we can see on the field. Maybe talk about things like he isn't elusive enough for you or that his ability to throw the deep ball needs improved. These are all things I've heard.

But when people start coming on and saying stuff like, "I think Meyer got drunk at Paddy's on Friday and it really effected his play." That is gossip stuff, there's no way to prove it (Unless you bust out some Larry-esque photos) and it's unfair to the player even if it did happen.

I also doubt that Meyer would EVER do anything like that because he seems totally commited to the team and to winning. I was just using that as an example.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. We don't want this place to become a rumor mill, because then it discredits any information being discussed on the site by it's members or Jeremy. I don't speak for the other moderators or for Jeremy in this, because I haven't discussed it with them. But it has been my approach as a mod for this site.

I hope you understand, and I'm sure it will all come out soon enough.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44
    Unfortunately, it is human nature to dwell on the severity of news when we are told that bad news is coming. Yesterday, I was enjoying the online dating chat of Monkeybrow and amyk33 and counting down the days to Toledo. Today, we are all forced to ponder how bad the next "news" is going to be.

As bad as it sounds, I would rather watch Nancy in a CF thong showing off her hail damaged posterior doing a line dance at the 50 yd line of Kinnick than sit here dwelling on the impending doom we are about to receive.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    ISUfan22 - Do not blame everyone here for wondering and discussing what is going on. It was Jeremy's post that spawned all this conversation. Its his board and he can post whatever he wants, but don't expect people not to discuss a "cryptic" post like that. If what you say is true then maybe he shoulf have sat on it...apparentley the subs to the premium boards know what is going on. You guys float it out there and calling is "BREAKING NEWS" and the criticize people for speculating, discussing, and wondering what it is. You abviousley know what it is so you don't really care, but for those of us in the dark....we are interested and are on the edge of our seats eagerly awaiting news or a follow up to Jeremey's BIG scoop that started all this. If what "cllions05" says is true, which is also speculation, then maybe Jeremy should come out and post some sort of follow-up....no matter what it is.....

Last edited by RedStorm; 08-03-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    This is no different then when Jeremy cant release the name of a basketball recruit. I dont see anyone complaining when he does that. Sometimes when people ask you to keep things quiet you have to do so, or else we wont have the luxary of the other information we get here on this site. I'm asking you to respect Jeremy's rules and wait patiently for the information to break. We owe Jeremy that.

God Bless America

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Honestly guys, if you are so fed up with how Jeremy is running his site (not yours, not mine, his), then why don't you go invest the great deal of time and money he has into your own Cyclone website. If he promised his sources that he wouldn't reveal the information, then he has an obligation to not talk about the matter until he is given approval. Any attempt to speculate as to what it could be is only going to start wild rumors that, as ISUFan22 said, could hurt players and coaches who have done nothing wrong. I see no need to do anything but wait and see what the news is, and then I am sure we can have a frank and open discussion of it. In the meantime, is everybody ready for August 31? Break out the brats and beer!

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I wonder how many of the people preaching "wait patiently" know what the information is? It's easy to preach patience when you're not the one who is in the dark.

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 13
    Quote Originally Posted by sstalpes View Post
    ISUfan22 - Do not blame everyone here for wondering and discussing what is going on. It was Jeremy's post that spawnewd all this conversation. Its his board and he can post whatever he wants, but don't expect people not to discuss a "cryptic" post like that. If what you say is true then maybe he shoulf have sat on it...apparentley the subs to the prmium boards now what is going on. You guys float it out there and calling is "BREAKING NEWS" and the critisize people for speculating, discussing, and wondering what it is. You abviousley know what it is so you don't really care, but for those of us in the dark....we are interested and are on the edge of our seats eagerly awaiting news or a follow up to Jeremey's BIG scoop that started all this. If ewhat "cllions05" says is true, which is also speculation, then maybe Jeremy should come out and post some sort of follow-up....no matter what it is.....

Exactly. Jeremy still has a lot to learn about 'reporting' news.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I agree with you that it is our duty to respect his wishes but do you really think that athletic department officials are sitting in their office looking at CF.com and saying "Well because a bunch of internet message board posters are discussing potential rumors, I am no longer going to continue my relationship with Jermey and I will not feed him with anymore information", do you really think that's the case? Wouldn't this "source" be more upset that Jermey posted something saying "Bad news is coming but I can't tell you want it is and oh yeah, don't discuss it either." He opened the can of worms here...
    Actually, I think you’d be surprised. Every message board I’ve read at one point or another – the owners/mods have stated “Coach X has asked us not to discuss X”.

If that is not followed, there’s a good chance the insider info we’ll get would be yanked. I know for a fact Don Knock is on at least one of the message boards almost daily. So yes, the staff at ISU does read some of these boards.

BryceC – excellent post!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by sstalpes View Post
    ISUfan22 - Do not blame everyone here for wondering and discussing what is going on. It was Jeremy's post that spawnewd all this conversation. Its his board and he can post whatever he wants, but don't expect people not to discuss a "cryptic" post like that. If what you say is true then maybe he shoulf have sat on it...apparentley the subs to the prmium boards now what is going on. You guys float it out there and calling is "BREAKING NEWS" and the critisize people for speculating, discussing, and wondering what it is. You abviousley know what it is so you don't really care, but for those of us in the dark....we are interested and are on the edge of our seats eagerly awaiting news or a follow up to Jeremey's BIG scoop that started all this. If ewhat "cllions05" says is true, which is also speculation, then maybe Jeremy should come out and post some sort of follow-up....no matter what it is.....
    As I stated in a separate thread, I agree that nothing should have been said at all until the story was able to be broken. Yet as a separate poster stated, I think Jeremy felt the final news would be allowed to be made public soon after his "heads up" post. That obviously hasn't been the case unfortunately.

Regardless, we've been asked to do something by the owner of this board. I'd suggest ya follow that.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    I like toasted ham and cheese sandwiches served by "wee" little females in alluring Ewok costumes....nothing better then Star Wars erotica.

I wonder if amyk33 will still go to b-bops with me?