Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 795,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,296
    Points
    795,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 226

    Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook


  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 213,403, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,735
    Points
    213,403
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 347

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    I am impressed, I haven't seen a Buff Bagwell reference in years! Nicely done.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 278,999, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,623
    Points
    278,999
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 868
    Given: 1,746

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Any bets that Iowa will try some sort of double move or misdirection on Sims early to take advantage of his exuberance at getting in the game?


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 337,342, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,917
    Points
    337,342
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    I sure hope you are right about the receivers. If so, as long as AA can be the smart leader on the field, this offense is gonna impress. A passing game with a pulse can not only help ARob pick up yards - but lessen the risk of him being injured as well.

    If the first game was tonight at 7, it still wouldn't be soon enough.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 17,958, Level: 40
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Points
    17,958
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post

    You said you were surprised that Caspers is redshirting, but should we be? When he was recruited, he looked for a school that didn't need him right away because he WANTED to redshirt. Apparently, he thinks he has some work to do in the weight room before he's ready for the step up in competition. That's the only thing I can figure.

    What I'm wondering is if Rhoads was counting Caspers when he said he has a true 2-deep on the offensive line, or if he was counting someone else. If he's counting someone else, then we have a lot of offensive linemen, both now and in the future with the four frosh and Caspers. Because I'm as sure as I can be without insider knowledge that none of the frosh were counted in the 2-deeps before the first day of practice.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 278,999, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,623
    Points
    278,999
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 868
    Given: 1,746

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    You said you were surprised that Caspers is redshirting, but should we be? When he was recruited, he looked for a school that didn't need him right away because he WANTED to redshirt. Apparently, he thinks he has some work to do in the weight room before he's ready for the step up in competition. That's the only thing I can figure.

    What I'm wondering is if Rhoads was counting Caspers when he said he has a true 2-deep on the offensive line, or if he was counting someone else. If he's counting someone else, then we have a lot of offensive linemen, both now and in the future with the four frosh and Caspers. Because I'm as sure as I can be without insider knowledge that none of the frosh were counted in the 2-deeps before the first day of practice.
    Reread it:

    "I’m not surprised that Jon Caspers is going to redshirt this season."


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 17,958, Level: 40
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Points
    17,958
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Reread it:

    "Iím not surprised that Jon Caspers is going to redshirt this season."

    My bad. Never mind, as Emily Litella would say.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,480, Level: 63
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,678
    Points
    42,480
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Slight correction - I would add Bailey Johnson to the list of DL 2-deep that the program will lose after this year. The point about about a potential solid group returning remains valid.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    You mentioned the 2011 defensive line, but I think the entire defense has a chance to be a strength. At defensive end, we should be able to find a nice rotation with Neal, Maggitt, Nelson, Lattimer, Moore, and Laing, all of whom will be upperclassmen except Moore. Defensive tackle won't be deep (probably should add a JUCO), but will have some experience. Linebacker should be pretty good with an extra year of experience for Knott, Klein, Tau'fo'ou, and George. Corner should be excellent with everyone back. Only safety is of much concern to me.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 39,290, Level: 61
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,060
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,788
    Points
    39,290
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 11

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    You mentioned the 2011 defensive line, but I think the entire defense has a chance to be a strength. At defensive end, we should be able to find a nice rotation with Neal, Maggitt, Nelson, Lattimer, Moore, and Laing, all of whom will be upperclassmen except Moore. Defensive tackle won't be deep (probably should add a JUCO), but will have some experience. Linebacker should be pretty good with an extra year of experience for Knott, Klein, Tau'fo'ou, and George. Corner should be excellent with everyone back. Only safety is of much concern to me.
    Its very possible that LJ plays his way into the NFL this year. I think he has the talent, and it appears that he has the necessary focus this year.
    So we would lose Sims and Johnson. Our #1 and #2 defenders. Tough losses.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  11. #11
    Publisher
    Points: 795,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,296
    Points
    795,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 226

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Still, I think that there are some guys we haven't seen yet that will be able to step in and be respectable. I'm talking about the Jeremy Reeves' of the world. Those boys can play. We just haven't seen much of them yet.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 56,271, Level: 73
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,540
    Points
    56,271
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Any bets that Iowa will try some sort of double move or misdirection on Sims early to take advantage of his exuberance at getting in the game?

    I could see Iowa trying that for sure. That's exactly what we did several years ago when we beat them in Iowa City. JJ Moses scored a long touchdown on the first play of the game when we ran a reverse against their fired up defense. Not a bad strategy at all.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 105,256, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,419
    Points
    105,256
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 4

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Still, I think that there are some guys we haven't seen yet that will be able to step in and be respectable. I'm talking about the Jeremy Reeves' of the world. Those boys can play. We just haven't seen much of them yet.
    Jacques Washington. The guy was on the depth chart all of last season as a true freshman even though he was redshirting.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 178,068, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,937
    Points
    178,068
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: 8-6 Cyclone Notebook

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Slight correction - I would add Bailey Johnson to the list of DL 2-deep that the program will lose after this year. The point about about a potential solid group returning remains valid.
    The starting front four might be decent in 2011, but we will still have a very serious depth problem at DL and LB for quite some time IMO. And if you don't have depth, you don't have much. You can't afford ANY injuries, which is nearly impossible.

    We have 7 quality guys fighting for one RB spot right now. As I've said before... we'd need 28 quality DL fighting for 4 DL spots to equal what we have at RB. We'd need 21 quality LBs fighting for 3 LB spots to equal what we have at RB. We have a ton of WRs as well. That's all good, but I'm afraid its been at the expense of DL and LB. We have MAYBE one guy that MIGHT be able to play LB if any one of the starting 3 go down... and he's a true freshman in George. That is it, now that Lattimer is at DE.

    It will take several years of recruiting to get the DL and LB numbers up to where they need to be.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM