Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 312

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

Re: WBB Schedule released

No Minnesota? By my count, they still owe us a home game -- we've played the past five seasons, with Minnesota getting 3 of those at home. Maybe we're just taking a season off for scheduling reasons.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

10-11 Opponent RPIs (from 09-10 -- our RPI was 28)

Western Illinois 295
    Drake 153
    Northern Iowa 118
    Virginia 16
    TCU 42
    West Virginia 10
    Michigan 54
    Iowa 44
    Columbia 112
    Cal State Northridge 334
    Florida A&M 203
    Prairie View A&M 232
    Chicago State 307
    North Dakota State 222

We have a five game stretch where our worst opponent RPI (09-10) is 54. Michigan is the only home game of that bunch: Iowa is road and the other three are in St. Thomas. The rest of the schedule is pretty weak. Columbia is on par with Drake and UNI, and the rest are all pretty bad.

Last edited by mred; 08-05-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

wondered about Minny too.

guess I will just have to get used to ISU playing a pansy non-con. Yeah, the Paradise Jam is in there, but I would really like to see a couple of tough warm up games before conference. Michigan is interesting.

let's just hope the rest of the Big 12 raises our RPI like usual.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Michigan game is part of the Big 10-Big 12 challenge.

I have no problems with this schedule. This is a much harder non-conf schedule than last year, where our second-best opponent was 98-rpi Minnesota.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 202

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post

guess I will just have to get used to ISU playing a pansy non-con. Yeah, the Paradise Jam is in there, but I would really like to see a couple of tough warm up games before conference. Michigan is interesting.

I agree - would like to see a decent, tough "name" team on our non-conf. home schedule, to reward our tremendous fan support. Michigan is hardly that.
    Seems that our crowd - #3 in attendance - gets taken for granted.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,808
    Given: 3,096

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I agree - would like to see a decent, tough "name" team on our non-conf. home schedule, to reward our tremendous fan support. Michigan is hardly that.
    Seems that our crowd - #3 in attendance - gets taken for granted.
    I think the fanbase is the least of Bill's worries. He needs to replace a do everything point guard that is now in the WNBA. I think they will need the patsies for the squad (and especially the guards) to come together and get comfortable in their roles. There will be plenty of fireworks for the fans as the squad plays in the best women's basketball league in the country.

Just my $0.02.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 26

A few thoughts - we probably lost Minny since we picked up Michigan as part of the B12/B10 challenge, which is too bad because we had a nice rivalry with them and both fanbases traveled well.

Virginia will be a different team than we saw in Ames in March - Monica Wright graduated, so they will have to replace her, and many have said Debbie Ryan needs to retire. TCU and WVU should be good games.

As for getting the name team to come to Ames, good luck. We've played at Duke in the past, Stanford in the past and they never came to Ames. Bill has talked about this before, the reason we had Vandy a couple years ago was because Melanie Balcomb had a player from Minnesota and that was a chance to get her close to home to play, because Minny wouldn't play them, and she owed Bill for going to their tourney. Many teams want to play us, just not in Ames, and they won't agree to a home and home for a non-conference game. Bill has tried to schedule these games, but the "power" teams have always wanted us to go to their place, since it is for one year. Do I agree with it - no, but it's part of the game. I think that's why we are going to the Paradise Jam because the level of competition is much better than a lot of pre-conference tournies.

Overall, it's a good schedule and will test our players early and get the newcomers ready for the B12.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    A few thoughts - we probably lost Minny since we picked up Michigan as part of the B12/B10 challenge, which is too bad because we had a nice rivalry with them and both fanbases traveled well.

Virginia will be a different team than we saw in Ames in March - Monica Wright graduated, so they will have to replace her, and many have said Debbie Ryan needs to retire. TCU and WVU should be good games.

As for getting the name team to come to Ames, good luck. We've played at Duke in the past, Stanford in the past and they never came to Ames. Bill has talked about this before, the reason we had Vandy a couple years ago was because Melanie Balcomb had a player from Minnesota and that was a chance to get her close to home to play, because Minny wouldn't play them, and she owed Bill for going to their tourney. Many teams want to play us, just not in Ames, and they won't agree to a home and home for a non-conference game. Bill has tried to schedule these games, but the "power" teams have always wanted us to go to their place, since it is for one year. Do I agree with it - no, but it's part of the game. I think that's why we are going to the Paradise Jam because the level of competition is much better than a lot of pre-conference tournies.

Overall, it's a good schedule and will test our players early and get the newcomers ready for the B12.
    Green Bay would come, oops, ISU doesn't want to play them again. South Dakota St., opps ISU doesn't want to play them, Tennessee would probably come. Ball St. might be interesting. I guess, if we can't get a name, at least give us some reputable teams to play, but that is too "risky."

And what is wrong with tough road games anyway....that is what prepares teams for the tourney. I am a big supporter of BF and ISU WBB, but my one gripe is we schedule way to many pansy teams. Okay, for the first few games, but six in a row right before conference play? and we gripe about not getting ranked or respect. I like to watch those home games on Clone Zone, but I got to say that looks like a snooze fest to me.

Yes, Aus is gone, so are all the other senior stars from other teams....that is college ball....someone has to step up. Maybe it won't be one player, but contributions from several. I have faith. In my opinion, ISU will have the best frontcourt in the Big 12(yes Griner is cool, but they need another strong person at the 4), throw in Bolte at the 2/3. Who knows, I have a feeling Jess Schroll is gonna step up. And we do have solid jucos coming in, who, as much as I liked WW, she really just didn't seem to jive on the court. The PG spot may be a question mark, but I think the bigger one is who is going to take command of this team and be a leader. I just don't see Bolte doing that, she is just too "nice" and easy going.

Last edited by twistedredbird; 08-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Yea, I am very disappointed about this non-conference schedule. I am very excited for the paradise jam, but other than that, it's kind of boring. I would love to see us play Duke, UCLA, or Notre Dame sometime- that would give us an awesome schedule. :)

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 150

I have a cousin who is attending Minnesota State-Mankato. Let the trash talking commence! Screw it if it is just an exhibition game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by mhalb View Post
    Yea, I am very disappointed about this non-conference schedule. I am very excited for the paradise jam, but other than that, it's kind of boring. I would love to see us play Duke, UCLA, or Notre Dame sometime- that would give us an awesome schedule. :)
    I doubt we will ever see us play Notre Dame in a non-conference game since Bill coached under Muffet. I'm guessing Muffet has the same feeling that Bill has against playing games against your former assistants, you don't do it. We've played Duke in the past, but they would never come to Ames, everything had to be at Cameron. As for UCLA, don't see this happening unless its a tourney game somewhere.

There are a few games that lead me to believe teams approached Bill about playing a game - Columbia and Cal State Northridge. It would not surprise me if they aren't playing someone like UNI, Iowa, Minny, Creighton (not Drake their non-conference schedule is already posted) and they wanted a second game in the area. Bill has done this in the past with teams who want to play in front of large crowds.

We have to step back and remind ourselves, last fall there were people complaining about how weak our non-conference schedule was, and guess what we ended up in the Sweet 16 with a young team. We are still a young team with one senior and an unproved/unknown point guard. The Paradise Jam, Iowa, and Michigan games will be huge tests for a young point guard, leading a still young team. The last thing any young point guard needs is to get beat down so badly in the non-conference season that they become ineffective in the conference season.

I am not going to criticize Bill for his scheduling choices. I believe Bill puts together a schedule to challenge his players in the non-conference schedule, but give them a chance to get comfortable with each other and win some games. If people find the non-conference games boring, that's their problem. I haven't missed a home game in 10 years, and I'm not going to miss any this year.

I do find it ironic that win # 500 should be against Drake. Bill never has liked Amy Stephens, so that would be a nice way to celebrate # 500 by beating Drake.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...09-10-a-4.html

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I think it is pretty fair schedule. With the Paradise Jam and the Big Ten schools, we could have 5 competitive games. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a good game from North Dakota State. Remember, we had Aus last year and still got beat by Drake. This team even more so than the 2009 version needs to jell and jell quickly before the start of the Big 12 season. I have my tickets and will be at each game to cheer on the sisters rather they play Podunk Tech or Texas. I am going out on a limb here and saying 12-2 during non conf. and 10-6 during the conf. season. That adds up to a 22-8 season and should put us back into the big dance. The starters should be Prins, Poppens, Bolte, Harris, and Cole. That's my story and I am stickin to it....

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    I doubt we will ever see us play Notre Dame in a non-conference game since Bill coached under Muffet. I'm guessing Muffet has the same feeling that Bill has against playing games against your former assistants, you don't do it. We've played Duke in the past, but they would never come to Ames, everything had to be at Cameron. As for UCLA, don't see this happening unless its a tourney game somewhere.

There are a few games that lead me to believe teams approached Bill about playing a game - Columbia and Cal State Northridge. It would not surprise me if they aren't playing someone like UNI, Iowa, Minny, Creighton (not Drake their non-conference schedule is already posted) and they wanted a second game in the area. Bill has done this in the past with teams who want to play in front of large crowds.

We have to step back and remind ourselves, last fall there were people complaining about how weak our non-conference schedule was, and guess what we ended up in the Sweet 16 with a young team. We are still a young team with one senior and an unproved/unknown point guard. The Paradise Jam, Iowa, and Michigan games will be huge tests for a young point guard, leading a still young team. The last thing any young point guard needs is to get beat down so badly in the non-conference season that they become ineffective in the conference season.

I am not going to criticize Bill for his scheduling choices. I believe Bill puts together a schedule to challenge his players in the non-conference schedule, but give them a chance to get comfortable with each other and win some games. If people find the non-conference games boring, that's their problem. I haven't missed a home game in 10 years, and I'm not going to miss any this year.

I do find it ironic that win # 500 should be against Drake. Bill never has liked Amy Stephens, so that would be a nice way to celebrate # 500 by beating Drake.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...09-10-a-4.html
    I do understand what you are saying. I guess this year I understand why the schedule is like this. I can't go to every game, but I listen to every single game on the radio, and cheer even though they can't hear me. I am very excited for the season to come, and I can't wait for win 500!

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Looking forward to the Paradise Jam Games against Virginia (which is what should have been our second round game in the NCAA tourney game last year, only this year both teams will have lost their star point guard) and TCU (which is where Whitney Williams transferred, even though she won't be playing. They beat A&M last year too).

I'll give my extremely optimistic non-conference record later today when I have more time :)