Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Student Tickets

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Student Tickets

#2 Good bye student attendance, especially for basketball games. Transferability of tickets is now near impossible. Now instead of me being able to give my ticket to a friend, I get to leave my seat empty. Nice job dumbasses. Apparently they enjoyed looking at a half empty student section last year in Hilton, a problem they just made worse.

#3 I'm sorry ticket people. You're going to get absolutely plowed at the gates. College students are going to be running you over, and I'll probably be one of them, so I apologize ahead of time.
    Student attendance will drop dramtically, yet people will get plowed at the gates by the non-attending students?

I have a card for my ICubs season tickets, as opposed to a book of paper tickets. LOVE IT. I get the issues with transferring tickets, etc. But if they set the system up right, it can be slick.

Don't students have to show ID anyway? Back in the old days of 1990... we had to show ID, fee card (do they even have that any longer) along with the ticket.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    You people have got to be joking, running around like Chicken little. Do you have any idea how many schools already do this? Here, see for yourself:

West Virginia, Colorado, South Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, North Dakota, Central Florida, Arizona State, California, Kansas, Oregon... that's just the first few pages. Dozens of other schools (including Iowa) issue a paper ticket printed with the students name and requiring the matching ID card to be swiped at the gate. And guess what? ALL of those schools have a mechanism for transferring your ticket to someone else.

So calm down.
    must make it a good idea if everyone else is doing it

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    You people have got to be joking, running around like Chicken little. Do you have any idea how many schools already do this? Here, see for yourself:

West Virginia, Colorado, South Florida, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, North Dakota, Central Florida, Arizona State, California, Kansas, Oregon... that's just the first few pages. Dozens of other schools (including Iowa) issue a paper ticket printed with the students name and requiring the matching ID card to be swiped at the gate. And guess what? ALL of those schools have a mechanism for transferring your ticket to someone else.

So calm down.
    False. My girlfriend (UNI alum) and I attended the Iowa/UNI game at Kinnick last year with scalped student tickets. My buddy and his girlfriend went in first, and then kicked back their IDs. We got in just fine.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If they do get the system set up correctly (although who knows how long that will take the ticketing office) it could be even easier to transfer tickets than it is now. If they set it up based on the student id number, it could be as easy as typing that number in on accessplus to transfer a ticket. No more of this having to find a time and place to meet up with someone to actually hand over the tickets.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

JP is on vacation, but here's the email from someone else in the department. This GREATLY alleviates transferability concerns for me:

"Dear Alex,

Thank you for your email concerning student tickets.

You are correct that this year the student ticket will be on the student ISUCard.

If a student is not able to attend the game they can forward their ticket another ISU student.
    By forwarding a ticket, it will send an email to the individual that a student chose to forward their ticket to, that individual will then be able to print that ticket and the ticket on the student ID is void.

ISU student tickets are intended for ISU students only. ISU students receive tickets at a significantly reduce rate then the public and therefore are intended for ISU student use only.

If you have any other concerns or questions please feel free to contact the ticket office.

Thank you for your continuous support of ISU Athletics and keep on the tradition of cultivating future Cyclone fans!

Sincerely,

Matt"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Student attendance will drop dramtically, yet people will get plowed at the gates by the non-attending students?

I have a card for my ICubs season tickets, as opposed to a book of paper tickets. LOVE IT. I get the issues with transferring tickets, etc. But if they set the system up right, it can be slick.

Don't students have to show ID anyway? Back in the old days of 1990... we had to show ID, fee card (do they even have that any longer) along with the ticket.
    We're supposed to show the ID but I've only actually had to show it once in 3+ years of sporting events. I have no idea what a fee card is so I'm going to assume no.

And just because there are less students doesn't mean the ones leftover still can't run over the ticket people. Half the games they just give up beforehand and let people run through (intelligent move). I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't scan some people early and then not get plowed at the gate but that's a rant for a different day.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    If they do get the system set up correctly (although who knows how long that will take the ticketing office) it could be even easier to transfer tickets than it is now. If they set it up based on the student id number, it could be as easy as typing that number in on accessplus to transfer a ticket. No more of this having to find a time and place to meet up with someone to actually hand over the tickets.
    Just to point out how it can be done - the Icubs allow you to exchange you ticket and either leave it at will call, or email it to be printed.

Of course, that's using a paper ticket once again. Since this is all electronic to begin with, I'd suppose that you could "sell" your ticke to another student, transfer it online, and it would simply show in their account, hence on their ID. You'd never have to see the person except for the cash.

Of course, what people are really beefing about is the fact they can't get their high school buddies from another school - or the young alums can't hock a student ticket any longer. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the tranferability of tickets as it does the availability for those who aren's supposed to have them in the first place.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If they honestly think that is going to stop non-ISU students from being in the student section they're nuts.

And this is still a ridiculously stupid idea. They've apparently never seen the mess it creates for ISU dining trying to scan all the cards.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    We're supposed to show the ID but I've only actually had to show it once in 3+ years of sporting events. I have no idea what a fee card is so I'm going to assume no.

And just because there are less students doesn't mean the ones leftover still can't run over the ticket people. Half the games they just give up beforehand and let people run through (intelligent move). I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't scan some people early and then not get plowed at the gate but that's a rant for a different day.
    Yeah - I figured those went out the window years ago.... I have no idea what the heck they were for anyway. Small piece of paper that was shredded by semeseters end.

I"m just giving you grief about the trampling. But I can't figure why it's so unreasonable that your ticket would be scanned at the gate (ID) and then not rechecked at the entrance to the section. They do this for some of the higher priced donor areas too..

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I"m just giving you grief about the trampling. But I can't figure why it's so unreasonable that your ticket would be scanned at the gate (ID) and then not rechecked at the entrance to the section. They do this for some of the higher priced donor areas too..
    That's how it was last year. You'd get your ticket scanned at the gate, and then have to show your ticket again to the usher. Most of the ushers checked, but I dressed wildly enough that I could walk down, go back and hand out ticket stubs on the concourse and get anyone else in because the ushers would remember who I was and I wouldn't have to show it again.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just to point out how it can be done - the Icubs allow you to exchange you ticket and either leave it at will call, or email it to be printed.

Of course, that's using a paper ticket once again. Since this is all electronic to begin with, I'd suppose that you could "sell" your ticke to another student, transfer it online, and it would simply show in their account, hence on their ID. You'd never have to see the person except for the cash.

Of course, what people are really beefing about is the fact they can't get their high school buddies from another school - or the young alums can't hock a student ticket any longer. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the tranferability of tickets as it does the availability for those who aren's supposed to have them in the first place.

One really good thing it will mean is no more/ not as many UNI fans or Nebby in the student section when we play those schools.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

" a student is not able to attend the game they can forward their ticket another ISU student.
    By forwarding a ticket, it will send an email to the individual that a student chose to forward their ticket to, that individual will then be able to print that ticket and the ticket on the student ID is void."

It sounds like a paper ticket, and then the forwarding student can't swipe their ISU card.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The real question that should be asked - who's administering the system for students and how easy is it to use, and are there fees associated with exchanging/forwarding. There I would agree with the uproar.

I haven't read the whole thread, so if answered I apologize.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 08-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    One really good thing it will mean is no more/ not as many UNI fans or Nebby in the student section when we play those schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    It sounds like a paper ticket, and then the forwarding student can't swipe their ISU card.
    Which is exactly why I don't think its going to fix anything. The students will always be smarter than any system designed to prevent them from accomplishing something. Its no different than copying DVDs. The public will always be able to break the encryption.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Which is exactly why I don't think its going to fix anything. The students will always be smarter than any system designed to prevent them from accomplishing something. Its no different than copying DVDs. The public will always be able to break the encryption.
    Well, one would think that the majority of students will be using their ID (swiping) and so the people trying to sneak others in under student tickets will be most likely having to use paper tickets.

And since that paper ticket was sent to a particular student, they could very well put their name on the ticket itself and be able to compare it to a student ID. If nothing else, paper tickets are now much more identifiable and subject to more scrutiny.