Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 1,044

"The Better Half"

Nolookpass: Concerning your "better half" post that has been closed:

That is some pretty good made-up stuff. Portions of it are very inventive and fanciful. It is obvious to some of us that you are purposefully taking stereotyping to an extreme level in order to show how ridiculous stereotyping is. That's a very common writing technique and it's often times used to poke fun at attitudes held by some members of society.

However, your closer needs some work. "The better half" phrase is most often used to describe one of the persons in a committed relationship (usually referring to the wife!) and has nothing to do with stereotyping of certain groups of society.

Overall, I would give you a B in a Creative Writing class. I think by some polishing up of your writing skills and putting some more time and effort into your work you could bring your grade up.

For your next assignment, the subject will be "elitism".

Last edited by aauummm; 08-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: "The Better Half"

A few thoughts...and I apologize in advance if this a bit rambling...I have a tee time with some old frat buddies in about an hour and am still trying to compose an email to the mods to see why my threads always get locked.

Stereotyping is not at all ridiculous. In fact, we as a society do not stereotype enough in my mind. The problem is people don't stereotype themselves, only others. If more people would take a look at themselves and act according to what they see the world would be a better place. If your tattoos outnumber your teeth stick to shopping at Wal-Mart and not Jordan Creek. If even an inch of your boxers are showing when you walk down the street, date some meth head from your alternative school and don't think you have a shot with an SEP cheerleader.

I understand how "better half" is most commonly used, but in the way I used it I think it is quite clear what I was trying to convey . I could have used the ol' "haves and have nots" (I, obviously, am in the "have" category) but that seemed to played out. The fact is the grass is greener on my lawn...hell, the fact I have my own lawn separates me from 75% of the mouth breathers who trek thru life in this country on auto-pilot and looking only to infringe on my (and the other haves') happiness.

As far as your request on the subject of elitism...you are from Altoona, not an area I would expect someone to come from who understands the finer things in life. You need to stick to horse racing and lottery tickets in the hopes you hit the big one and can move up in life. Your wit and intelligence aint gonna do it fer ya.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 88

I, for one, think nolook is somewhat entertaining.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 886
    Given: 10

I find him entertaining, but I worry the path he travels will lead to a MontyBurns like fate.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by nolookpass View Post
    As far as your request on the subject of elitism...you are from Altoona, not an area I would expect someone to come from who understands the finer things in life. You need to stick to horse racing and lottery tickets in the hopes you hit the big one and can move up in life. Your wit and intelligence aint gonna do it fer ya.
    This makes me laugh, talking down Altoona when you previously claimed to live in Pleasant Hill.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I find him entertaining, but I worry the path he travels will lead to a MontyBurns like fate.
    True.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 114

Maybe we can get a nolookpass forum on CF. Sort of like off-topic but more random and offensive. (I enjoy nlp's post BTW)

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 34

NLP isn't afraid to tell us what he's thinking whether we agree with it or not.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 824
    Given: 478

A few thoughts...and I apologize in advance if this a bit rambling...I have a tee time with some old frat buddies in about an hour and am still trying to compose an email to the mods to see why my threads always get locked.

Stereotyping is not at all ridiculous. In fact, we as a society do not stereotype enough in my mind. The problem is people don't stereotype themselves, only others. If more people would take a look at themselves and act according to what they see the world would be a better place. If your tattoos outnumber your teeth stick to shopping at Wal-Mart and not Jordan Creek. If even an inch of your boxers are showing when you walk down the street, date some meth head from your alternative school and don't think you have a shot with an SEP cheerleader.

I understand how "better half" is most commonly used, but in the way I used it I think it is quite clear what I was trying to convey . I could have used the ol' "haves and have nots" (I, obviously, am in the "have" category) but that seemed to played out. The fact is the grass is greener on my lawn...hell, the fact I have my own lawn separates me from 75% of the mouth breathers who trek thru life in this country on auto-pilot and looking only to infringe on my (and the other haves') happiness.

Its never good to judge someone by their possessions. I would stick to judging them by how physically attractive they are, or how much beer they can drink.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 787
    Given: 514

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Its never good to judge someone by their possessions. I would stick to judging them by how physically attractive they are, or how much beer they can drink.
    You must like me.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And you can tell all of that about me because my sig says Altoona?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    This makes me laugh, talking down Altoona when you previously claimed to live in Pleasant Hill.
    I was thinking the same thing!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post

Agreed.