Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 43

Dish Network or DirectTv?

Alright, I am going to be moving and I am trying to figure out which TV service to go with. To me, it looks like Dish is a better deal by about 10 bucks a month. I wouldn't have to get the sports Pack because you get the two local FSN channels. Sure I may miss a game here or there. I haven't looked into all the details yet either but it also looks like they don't have a lease charge on the receiver and Direct has a $7/month charge.

Give me any suggestions you can please. I know that both will also swing deals if you are willing to put that pressure on them. Please share any stories or tips.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Re: Dish Network or DirectTv?

I like my Dish Network, I think the menus are much easier to navigate too and they won't charge you for replacement equipment like Direct does.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Dish does charge $5 for local channels and $5 if you don't connect your DVR to a phone line or network.

Despite that, I still love Dish because it is cheaper.

Prospect
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Alright, I am going to be moving and I am trying to figure out which TV service to go with. To me, it looks like Dish is a better deal by about 10 bucks a month. I wouldn't have to get the sports Pack because you get the two local FSN channels. Sure I may miss a game here or there. I haven't looked into all the details yet either but it also looks like they don't have a lease charge on the receiver and Direct has a $7/month charge.

Give me any suggestions you can please. I know that both will also swing deals if you are willing to put that pressure on them. Please share any stories or tips.
    If you are a serious sports fan, you should not even consider Dish or Cable. It is Directv all the way. I really like Directv customer service also.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553

For those of you with Dish, what do you do for your internet service?

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    For those of you with Dish, what do you do for your internet service?
    Qwest DSL. I have a local phone line (I know... old fashion but I have my reasons why I keep this line) through them too which while I probably spend more overall because of it I save the $5 for the bundle and another $5 from Dish for having my receivers plugged in.

Another thing to factor in is doesn't Direct charge for each additional receiver? With Dish you only need 2 receivers for 4 TV's since they have the dual receiver setups. Works out pretty nice and the range on the 2nd remote is great, I have my DVR setup for the main TV upstairs and the 1 downstairs and I can use the remote normally downstairs just like I do when I am just feet away from the one upstairs. Don't have to point the remote up at the ceiling towards the receiver or anything it's that good.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 84

I had Direct for 3 years, then Dish for 3 years and finally when we moved I went back to Direct TV. Easier to vanigate and equipment is WAY more reliable. Kicker was the Dish salesguy flate lied to me when I ordered.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    I had Direct for 3 years, then Dish for 3 years and finally when we moved I went back to Direct TV. Easier to vanigate and equipment is WAY more reliable. Kicker was the Dish salesguy flate lied to me when I ordered.
    Are the cost of the two comparable (Basic package, want HD, dont need movies or extended sports packages, ect.)

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 50

Directv is better for sports. With that said dish isn't bad but direct is a little better.

I would avoid ordering over phone or Internet. Find a local installer with a business local and use him.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Directv is better for sports. With that said dish isn't bad but direct is a little better.

I would avoid ordering over phone or Internet. Find a local installer with a business local and use him.
    Is Dish's Multi-sport Pack the FSN channels?

The thing I am having a hard time getting around is the $17 it would cost me just in service charges for Direct. Right now Dish is offering free HD for life too which is a $10/month savings.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is Dish's Multi-sport Pack the FSN channels?

The thing I am having a hard time getting around is the $17 it would cost me just in service charges for Direct. Right now Dish is offering free HD for life too which is a $10/month savings.
    I'm looking at the same thing here. It looks like I would be covered on my Chicago sports and then all the ESPNs with the the basic dish package. The fees on Direct TV look a bit over the top.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm looking at the same thing here. It looks like I would be covered on my Chicago sports and then all the ESPNs with the the basic dish package. The fees on Direct TV look a bit over the top.
    Yeah and I get FSN midwest and North. I would love to have Directs college sports coverage but not at a $20 premium.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah and I get FSN midwest and North. I would love to have Directs college sports coverage but not at a $20 premium.
    I haven't looked at the $7 sports package on Dish-- do you know what it includes?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

I've had both and would give Dish Network the edge.

The first reason I switched was because of the Dish two-room DVR system. I realize they both have whole-house DVR options now so this may no longer be a consideration.

I feel like my service with Dish has been slightly more reliable. I don't seem to have as many rain fade issues with Dish. I don't know if it's because they have better equipment or we get a stronger signal from them where I live or what. But I've had some pretty heavy rains come down and not lost my picture.

The only complaint I've had with Dish was that they used to not let you make programming changes online more than once a year, whereas DirecTV you could change your programming online anytime you wanted. I think they may have changed that though because I recently did it with no issues and I know it had been less than a year.

DirecTV has boasted in the past that they have higher rated customer satisfaction than Dish. I have heard more than one person say they can't see how that could be because they've never phoned in an order that wasn't screwed up somehow. Now I see Dish is saying THEY have higher rated customer satisfaction than DirecTV, so I guess it's a matter of who you ask.

Regarding picture quality, Consumer Reports rated Dish HD picture quality "Good" while DirecTV rated "Excellent." I can tell you when I visit a friend's house with DirecTV I can't tell any difference, so I don't know what that is based on.

If you must have NFL package, it's a no brainer and DirecTV is your only choice. If you can live without it, my personal feeling is Dish is a better value. I'm really happy with Dish's sports package and the NFL Red Zone channel. If I can't see my team's game at least I can see the highlights virtually as they happen.

PS - And I never fully forgave DirecTV for the time they accidentally blacked out the ISU-Iowa game in '07.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I haven't looked at the $7 sports package on Dish-- do you know what it includes?
    It says 25 local sports channels. My guess is that's FSN and/or Comcast. It doesn't say for sure though. I am much more worried about college sports than I am the NFL. If I can get the regionals I will likely go with Dish.

Or so I have read.