SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

NHL: 'Hawks dump Niemi, sign Marty Turco

Blackhawks walk away from Niemi, sign Turco - NHL Free Agency 2010

FTA:

The Blackhawks confirmed to NHL.com Monday that they will walk away from the arbitration award given to Antti Niemi and sign unrestricted free agent goalie Marty Turco to a one-year contract. Niemi in turn becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Chicago Tribune was the first to have the information.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 112

Re: NHL: 'Hawks dump Niemi, sign Marty Turco

Not exactly thrilled about this. Would have loved to see the Hawks keep Niemi around, as I think he's going to keep getting better.

Turco has certainly played very well in his career, but he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Niemi was the real deal.

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

I nearly posted this, but wasn't sure of the interest. Should have known the regular suspects on the board would be up for discussing the NHL.

I think Turco at $1.3 is a steal, even though he showed signs of his age last year. However, I think Niemi at twice that, with more youth and potential, would have made more sense. Signing both wasn't much of an option though, as the Blackhawks absolutely handcuffed themselves by spending to (and actually above once bonuses were included) the salary cap.

As it stands, the Hawks essentially need to fill out their 23-man roster by signing a bunch of players to entry-level contracts. I think it still requires them to waive Huet and bury his contract in the minors to get it off the books, and even then they'll need players on the cheap.

This is Florida Marlins-esque dismantling of a championship team: Versteeg, Byfuglien, Eager, Ladd, Niemi...others I'm forgetting? No way in my mind does Chicago compete for a repeat.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I nearly posted this, but wasn't sure of the interest. Should have known the regular suspects on the board would be up for discussing the NHL.

I think Turco at $1.3 is a steal, even though he showed signs of his age last year. However, I think Niemi at twice that, with more youth and potential, would have made more sense. Signing both wasn't much of an option though, as the Blackhawks absolutely handcuffed themselves by spending to (and actually above once bonuses were included) the salary cap.

As it stands, the Hawks essentially need to fill out their 23-man roster by signing a bunch of players to entry-level contracts. I think it still requires them to waive Huet and bury his contract in the minors to get it off the books, and even then they'll need players on the cheap.

This is Florida Marlins-esque dismantling of a championship team: Versteeg, Byfuglien, Eager, Ladd, Niemi...others I'm forgetting? No way in my mind does Chicago compete for a repeat.
    I think they knew full well this is what was going to happen. Wagered the next couple of years for their run last year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I choose to blame the Hossa contract.

I'd love to see him walk now that he has his Cup, and relieve the Blackhawks of their obligations.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I choose to blame the Hossa contract.

I'd love to see him walk now that he has his Cup, and relieve the Blackhawks of their obligations.
    Ha, I feel like I should get you a Hossa jersey due to how much you hate him.

I'd put the blame on Campbell more so if we're playing the blame game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I knew losing all of the previous players was going to happen, but I thought niemi would at least stay.

I'll be surprised if they make the playoffs even.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    I think they knew full well this is what was going to happen. Wagered the next couple of years for their run last year.
    I agree completely. I was surprised the gamble paid off though, as I thought other teams in the West boasted better lineups.

The thing I question most about Chicago's personnel decisions is the insistence on keeping four banner forwards: Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp. In my mind a solid goaltender brings a lot more to a team than another talent up front when the offense is already loaded; however, Wirtz has chosen to scrimp on goaltending to keep those top two lines heavy.

On another note, my favorite locations for Niemi would be Philadelphia (who lost to Niemi in the finals), San Jose (who forced part of this mess by handing an offer sheet to Hjalmarsson), or Atlanta (where most of Niemi's departed teammates have ended up). All of those would make sense and provide great stories.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Always interest here. I knew this was coming for a long time.

In his prime, Turco would have blown away Niemi. He's one of the greatest goalies of our era, has Cup experience and can come in under the cap.

Then again he's a year younger than I am. I think he's got game, I think Dallas was just not going to so sign a guy in the Cul De Sac of his career to an extended contract.

I watched Niemi when he was in goal with the IceHogs against the Chops. It's been my impression that he really "rose to the occasion" in the Stanley Cup.

I think it's a smart move.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree completely. I was surprised the gamble paid off though, as I thought other teams in the West boasted better lineups.

The thing I question most about Chicago's personnel decisions is the insistence on keeping four banner forwards: Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp. In my mind a solid goaltender brings a lot more to a team than another talent up front when the offense is already loaded; however, Wirtz has chosen to scrimp on goaltending to keep those top two lines heavy.

On another note, my favorite locations for Niemi would be Philadelphia (who lost to Niemi in the finals), San Jose (who forced part of this mess by handing an offer sheet to Hjalmarsson), or Atlanta (where most of Niemi's departed teammates have ended up). All of those would make sense and provide great stories.
    I think this is the trend in the NHL these days though.. You saw it with San Jose refusing to pay 6-7 million to Nabokov and instead spending it on Nittymaki... It used to be that you NEEDED a top flight goaltender to win, but with the increase of goalie platoons, it looks like a lot of teams are going the other way and spending the money elsewhere.

I think Philly has to be the logical landing spot for him.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Turco should still be effective next year. With that core of Toews, Kane, Keith, Campbell, Seabrook, Bolland, Kopecky all back it's still a good team, albeit not as good as last year's.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just ask the Habs..
    Halak was insane until they played Philly. No way they make it that far with a goalie like Turco.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Chizit View Post
    Just ask the Habs..
    Halak was insane until they played Philly. No way they make it that far with a goalie like Turco.
    There's no way the Flyers get to the Finals unless they have a goalie like Leighton, right? Leighton was so great the Flyers were pretty much set to let him go until they found no other solutions.

The whole catching fire thing can happen to any goalie and Turco has a better track record than either Niemi or Leighton.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    There's no way the Flyers get to the Finals unless they have a goalie like Leighton, right? Leighton was so great the Flyers were pretty much set to let him go until they found no other solutions.

The whole catching fire thing can happen to any goalie and Turco has a better track record than either Niemi or Leighton.
    He has also been in the league for 15 years.

Niemi still had room to get better. I guess we will see if he is nearly as good during the regular season as the playoffs when he is playing wherever he lands.