Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Memphis to Big East?

Big Ten, Memphis, Expansion...Big East Talking Points Already Set - Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician

This is interesting to me because of comments made by Barry Alvarez a few days ago stating that the Big Ten may still be exploring expansion for the next year or so and will likely be looking east for new teams....I wonder if this is somewhat of a preemptive strike by the Big East?

Wisconsin' Barry Alvarez: Big Ten may look east to add another school | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Memphis to Big East?

or maybe they like ten million dollars

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 6

Interesting. Seemed like a matter of time to me.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

You can't fault the Big East for being proactive - if Beebe would have offered Utah and BYU to the Big XII we may have not lost NE or CU and if we did we'd still be at 12 and be viewed as a stable conference. I know many argue BYU and Utah would not have been good adds but these would have been two more schools outside of Texas that would dilute the power of the Texas schools so maybe NE would have been good with that. Also, maybe CU would have liked having two other schools in the same time zone. I guess we'll never know - all I know is the Big XII is not viewed as a stable conference and getting anyone of significance to join now would be next to impossible.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    You can't fault the Big East for being proactive - if Beebe would have offered Utah and BYU to the Big XII we may have not lost NE or CU and if we did we'd still be at 12 and be viewed as a stable conference. I know many argue BYU and Utah would not have been good adds but these would have been two more schools outside of Texas that would dilute the power of the Texas schools so maybe NE would have been good with that. Also, maybe CU would have liked having two other schools in the same time zone. I guess we'll never know - all I know is the Big XII is not viewed as a stable conference and getting anyone of significance to join now would be next to impossible.
    I disagree, but I guess it depends on what your definition of significance is. We (the big12) still bring in TONS more money than any non-BCS conference school. I would think TCU, Houston, UNLV, BYU, or any non-BCS conf school would jump at the opportunity to be in the Big12. From their perspective, if the big12 is a bust a few years it may be the best case scenario even, they get a much bigger budget for a few years to build up facilities and get some great publicity and then just end up back in the same or similar conference they are in today but as a stronger athletics dept.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 9

Big 12 should have gone after Memphis. They are a perfect fit.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Memphis is perfect for the Big 12 if you think Indian Hills CC is perfect for the Big 12. I know you're a long-time poster here, brianhos, but really? Memphis is a glorified community college with one really good sport, basketball. Sounds just like Indian Hills or SWCC, except it's "technically" a 4-year school. No one there cares about football or any of their other sports, and their academics are just terrible.

My first ISU basketball game - Fred Hoiberg was on the court.
    My first ISU football game - Paul Rhoads was on the sidelines.
    But they hadn't yet reached their full potential.

SO PROUD that things have come full circle. #cyclONEnation

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Huh? Memphis a perfect fit for the Big 12? Surely you jest!

Geographically, Memphis is certainly out of the Big 12's footprint. From an athletic reputation standpoint, Memphis certainly doesn't fit the mould. From an academic standpoint, do they really fit the Big 12 mould?

In my opinion, the Big 12 should have looked to expand west. Six months ago there were a number of Montain West and maybe WAC schools that would have jumped at an opportunity to join the conference.

I would place TCU light years ahead of Memphis if I were Dan Beebe, as is Houston (both of these schools have previously been in a "major" conference). Colorado State is a much better fit than Memphis. I personally think Wyoming, with an athletic upgrade, could have been a better fit than Memphis. Of course, with its recent success, Utah should have been on the "hit" list for the Big 12.

Why all the love for Memphis? Their football historically has been horrific. Other than the recent period of Calipari-led cheating, their basketball has been insignificant. Can anybody tell me if they have a competitive wrestling program, or volleyball program, or softball program?

Yes, certainly, Memphis would be a great grab for the Big 12 (wink, wink)!

Last edited by Wingback; 08-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 104

Yeah, Memphis sucks man. Their FB program....and any other program besides the men's basketball squad really struggle. Not a good fit at all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7

I agree there are some concerns around Memphis, but those of you guys throwing out geography, please go get yourself a map because you are talking like a moron. If we figure a new school would go into a Big 12 North division, Memphis makes way more sense than these other schools you keep throwing out. Let's consider Kansas City as central to the Big 12 North. Memphis to KC is about 450 miles per google maps. Provo or Salt Lake to KC is 1100 miles. Yeah, sure, the geography of Memphis just doesn't work out.

Obviously the bball team has had great success lately and plays in a fantastic facility. The football team plays in a 62k seat stadium that has hosted a bowl game for the last 45 years. Give them a Big 12 schedule and money and I think football would do just fine.

As we should have learned in this last round of conference realignment talk, no sports matter outside of football, and sort of kind of men's bball. Nobody outside of this board gives a damn about anything else.

Academics are also over-rated. See NU to the Big Ten. See the rankings of current Big 12 schools such as OSU, KSU, and TT. The only league where academics actually matter is the Ivy League.

The Memphis media market ranks number 50 in the country, nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah, and $10M per in FedEx money, because at the end of the day that is all that really matters in this whole deal. It is why the Big 10 was in the drivers seat, and the promise of money is what finally kept the remaining Big 12 schools together. And even now, it has aTm running their mouths about still walking out the door if they don't get theirs.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    Yeah, Memphis sucks man. Their FB program....and any other program besides the men's basketball squad really struggle. Not a good fit at all.
    Their bball program is way better than ISU, and lately their football team has been no worse than ISU. They have been to 5 bowl games this decade. And let's be honest, academics and womens sports play no role in college athletics anymore. it is about $$$.

The big 12 desperately needs 2 more teams or they are going to get poached next year. Who will those two teams be? TCU and Houston? SMU? WAC teams?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Geographically, Memphis is certainly out of the Big 12's footprint. From an athletic reputation standpoint, Memphis certainly doesn't fit the mould. From an academic standpoint, do they really fit the Big 12 mould?

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    Huh? Memphis a perfect fit for the Big 12? Surely you jest!

In my opinion, the Big 12 should have looked to expand west. Six months ago there were a number of Montain West and maybe WAC schools that would have jumped at an opportunity to join the conference.

I would place TCU light years ahead of Memphis if I were Dan Beebe, as is Houston (both of these schools have previously been in a "major" conference). Colorado State is a much better fit than Memphis. I personally think Wyoming, with an athletic upgrade, could have been a better fit than Memphis. Of course, with its recent success, Utah should have been on the "hit" list for the Big 12.

Why all the love for Memphis? Their football historically has been horrific. Other than the recent period of Calipari-led cheating, their basketball has been insignificant. Can anybody tell me if they have a competitive wrestling program, or volleyball program, or softball program?

Yes, certainly, Memphis would be a great grab for the Big 12 (wink, wink)!
    Apparently you don't follow college basketball. But then again as a husker fan I don't blame you.

Also Memphis is well within the big 12 footprint. It is probably closer to most of the big 12 south schools than boulder is.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

They're offering $10,000,000 a year and STILL no one takes them seriously. Wonder why? They don't add much to anything. They take away from the pie instead of add to it, which is why schools like Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, etc. wouldn't allow it. That's suicide for the schools with smaller budgets.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    I disagree, but I guess it depends on what your definition of significance is. We (the big12) still bring in TONS more money than any non-BCS conference school. I would think TCU, Houston, UNLV, BYU, or any non-BCS conf school would jump at the opportunity to be in the Big12. From their perspective, if the big12 is a bust a few years it may be the best case scenario even, they get a much bigger budget for a few years to build up facilities and get some great publicity and then just end up back in the same or similar conference they are in today but as a stronger athletics dept.
    I would probably consider BYU as close to significant and they would at best not decrease the revenue of the conference. Yes there are many who would come but would probably decrease the overall revenue sharing of the conference. Any other schools of significance (other than ND) are in a conference and views that conference as better and more stable.