Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 62

Jacy Holloway Story

Great read from Cyclones.com

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Jacy Holloway Story

Saw that.

I really like these follow-ups. Mediacom had a replay Monday night of the '96(?) Big 8 tourney game against Mizzou. Got to wondering where guys were -specifically Jacy. He was a tough, solid kid - not flashy, but definitely got the job done.

And how big was that shot that he hit against KU in the championship???? Whooee coach!

Wish Mediacom could get that one on the air.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 39

Great quote from Jacy's story

“I have tried to take bits and pieces from all of the different styles of coaching that I’ve been a part of,” Holloway said. “Coaching simply comes down to how you deal with kids and what you can get out of them. You can know a ton about basketball, but if you can’t relate to your kids, then it doesn’t do you any good.”

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Nice article and it's good to see Jacy get some credit. I remember a lot of Cyclone fans were luke warm with Jacy because he wasn't fast, flashy or a real prolific shooter. The guy almost never turned it over however and his assist record speaks for itself.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,079
    Given: 574

I would definitely love to see more of that type of story. These kids come through the program, and then they're gone. It's great to hear about them, and it sure brings back the memories.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

The thing I always loved about him is was a winner. He just got the jib done. Hard to teach a kid to win. It seemed that every year the coaches would bring in a new stud for the point and Jacy would just go and win the job. Great Clone!

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 46

What a fantastic article! I had no idead he's been in the most NCAA games along with Stevie Johnson! I tell ya its no coincidence, although he did play with great players. Did you notice that he has the best assist-to-turnover ratio in school history at 2.82! He may not have scored much, but he is a huge reason why we were good during those years. Floyd kept trying to recurit over him, but he couldn't do it! Jacy protected the ball like no other.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

For the record... Jacy was fouled on that last play against UCLA in 1997! I don't deny that he might have done a little acting to emphasize it, but there's no denying that Dollar gave Jacy a blatant forearm to clear him off and create space for the winning shot. I've seen the replay more times than I care to remember, and every time I see it, it's an even more obvious foul. There's no doubt in my mind that the refs swallowed their whistles because there was NO WAY they could call the great UCLA Bruins for a foul with the game on the line. The Bruins don't foul late in games. Those 11 championship banners prove it.

That no-call rivals the Michigan State "blarge" call as the worst screw-job in Iowa State basketball history. On the bright side, it did make it that much sweeter when we destroyed UCLA in the 2000 Sweet Sixteen. Revenge is a dish best served by means of a blowout!

Okay, got that out of my system.... End of rant!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    For the record... Jacy was fouled on that last play against UCLA in 1997! I don't deny that he might have done a little acting to emphasize it, but there's no denying that Dollar gave Jacy a blatant forearm to clear him off and create space for the winning shot. I've seen the replay more times than I care to remember, and every time I see it, it's an even more obvious foul. There's no doubt in my mind that the refs swallowed their whistles because there was NO WAY they could call the great UCLA Bruins for a foul with the game on the line. The Bruins don't foul late in games. Those 11 championship banners prove it.

That no-call rivals the Michigan State "blarge" call as the worst screw-job in Iowa State basketball history. On the bright side, it did make it that much sweeter when we destroyed UCLA in the 2000 Sweet Sixteen. Revenge is a dish best served by means of a blowout!

You are absolutely correct...he was fouled. I was in the Alamodome and saw it with my own eyes. Too bad the officials "swallowed their whistles".

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 46

The Sparty game kept us from a clear road the national championship and it really hurt, but I think the UCLA game is the most devastating loss I've seen. Our team in '97 was really good.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

He did get shoved out of the way by Dollar on that last shot, but also Floyd had them run a very smart play to get a foul called at the end of the game. Since it was after a made shot he had Bankhead run the base line and Holloway set a pick on the guy guarding the inbounder. Holloway just got leveled by one of the UCLA players there was no way the refs would call a foul there but it was one very smart play by Floyd and then Willoughby still almost hit the shot.

Kyle S. Flander

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post

The Dollar shot was a lot of luck too even if there was a foul. That one doesn't bother me so much. The MSU double foul call was terrible but I think the single worst screw job we got even if it was not necessarily the difference in a game was that 3 pointer KU hit between Homan's 2 FT attempts a few years ago. How they ever allowed that to count is just mind boggling. It's a dead ball on a miss on a 2 shot foul regardless if it misses or goes in. By that account we should be rebounding every time a FT goes up in hope to score a quick basket

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

It's good to read what Jacy's up to. Above all else, as great an athlete as he was, he was just a nice person, and always very humble about his talent.

I would also like to say how much I appreciate the cyclones.com webpage. I don't know who is in charge of it, but they are doing a great job! The stories are interesting and the postings are up to date. I love the black intro page to the site for special occasions. Mrs. yCy

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

He's known his son Jonathan since he was three? What happened during the first three years? Was he married before?

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    You are absolutely correct...he was fouled. I was in the Alamodome and saw it with my own eyes. Too bad the officials "swallowed their whistles".

I was teaching in SA at the time. Spring Break week, cut everything short to come back for the game. The fuel pump on my car went out 15 minutes from my apartment, almost missed meeting my friend. VIA (the public transportation system) had a deal where you could park your car, and the bus would drop you off at the dome door. Made it just in time.

The freaking Clemson (coached by Rick Barnes) - Minnesota (academic fraud) took forever. I think it was two overtimes. Since I had no interest in who won, it became painful, it just wouldn't end.

I really wasn't sure we would have a chance, but as the game progressed, I was all ready to come back Saturday, and kick Minnesota's ***. Final Four Baby!!!!

Then UCLA came back, depression sets in, soooooo close. Then Dedric hits the three to get to OT, and we are all happy again.

I was at the opposite end of the floor from where Dollar pushed Jacy three rows up, but I thought that Cato had it blocked (he got a fingernail on it).

I don't remember the walk to the bus, or the ride back to my car. I stopped at the bar by my house, a triple Goldschlager was waiting for me. It was then I was told about the push-off (I thought he may have tripped, and went flying), and I watched the replay, once. I taped over the game without ever watching it.

We decided, that since we had tickets, and my hangover had subsided (ok I was still drunk). We cheered hard for Minnesota, as they banished the evil that was UCLA from San Antonio.

Jeffrey A Crawford