Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Alcohol in a powder form?

CNN link

Dutch students have invented powdered alcohol which they say can be sold legally to minors.The latest innovation in inebriation, called Booz2Go, is available in 20-gram packets that cost €1-1.5 ($1.35-$2).

Top it up with water and you have a bubbly, lime-colored and -flavored drink with just 3 percent alcohol content.

"We are aiming for the youth market. They are really more into it because you can compare it with Bacardi-mixed drinks," 20-year-old Harm van Elderen told Reuters.

Van Elderen and four classmates at Helicon Vocational Institute, about an hour's drive from Amsterdam, came up with the idea as part of their final-year project.

"Because the alcohol is not in liquid form, we can sell it to people below 16," said project member Martyn van Nierop.

The legal age for drinking alcohol and smoking is 16 in the Netherlands.

The students said companies interested in making the product commercially could avoid taxes because the alcohol was in powder form. A number of companies are interested, they said.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 35

Re: Alcohol in a powder form?

law against this in the us in 3....2....1....

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 35

No way the US will allow this until they can tax it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 108

Meanwhile, as the Dutch continue to find ways to annebriate themselves, Muslim fundamentalists are over-running their country...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 1

Wonder what the buzz would be like if snorted?

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 309

Muslim fundamentalists are over-running their country...
    Maybe they should just elect one president and get it over. Oh wait that is what some in America want to do.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cultural reasons this won't work in USA (insert sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    CNN link

Dutch students have invented powdered alcohol which they say can be sold legally to minors.The latest innovation in inebriation, called Booz2Go, is available in 20-gram packets that cost 1-1.5 ($1.35-$2).

Top it up with water and you have a bubbly, lime-colored and -flavored drink with just 3 percent alcohol content.

"We are aiming for the youth market. They are really more into it because you can compare it with Bacardi-mixed drinks," 20-year-old Harm van Elderen told Reuters.

Van Elderen and four classmates at Helicon Vocational Institute, about an hour's drive from Amsterdam, came up with the idea as part of their final-year project.

"Because the alcohol is not in liquid form, we can sell it to people below 16," said project member Martyn van Nierop.

The legal age for drinking alcohol and smoking is 16 in the Netherlands.

The students said companies interested in making the product commercially could avoid taxes because the alcohol was in powder form. A number of companies are interested, they said.
    Here are a few reasons why this will have trouble getting off the ground in the USA:

1) Who really wants to say to their friends, "Let's go for a snort."

2) When the girls go to the bathroom, in pairs as usual, to powder their nose, what will they really be doing?

3) Instead of saying, "I got sloshed last night", no one will really say, "I got dusted last night."

4) How do you tap a keg of powder?

Can you imagine a Jerry Seinfeld routine on this?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Cultural reasons this won't work in USA (insert sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjj View Post
    Can you imagine a Jerry Seinfeld routine on this?
    There could be an entire Seinfeld episode dedicated to this. Heck, probably two.

I miss the days of Seinfeld...

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

But imagine how fun game day could be?????

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,205
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 5

What if you mixed the alcohol powder with an alcoholic beverage?

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    ??Powder Keg??

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

Already looking for a way to get even more messed up off of the stuff. Lets snort it! No wait, lets snort it with some coke! Wait, mix it with everclear! I like your style.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 152

That's kind of what I was thinking. Mix some of this in with a Captain and Coke and I think you've got quite the drink.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonjj View Post
    3) Instead of saying, "I got sloshed last night", no one will really say, "I got dusted last night."
    Speaking of getting dusted, I got this email forwarded to me about problems starting with kids snorting "Dust off". I apologize for it being long but this could be a huge problem...

I have checked this out on the internet. It is apparently true.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dustoff.asp

DUSTING...A LETHAL HIGH !!

If you haven't heard about this already please read it, if you already know, then pass it along to someone who may not know about it.

1. First, I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name is Jeff. I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were # 2 in the nation in homicides per capita.
    2. I also have a police K-9 named Thor. He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at 3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you understand that I know about drugs.

I have taught in schools about drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs. Makes them promise they won't.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one in February 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers.....They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to blow dust off a computer.
    A few weeks later when I went to use one of them they were all used. I talked to my kids and my two sons both said they had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled at themfor wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them.

On February 28 I went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st, I left for work at
    10 PM. Just before midnight my wife wentdown and kissed Kyle goodnight. At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He was propped up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over. She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He would sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle
    was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of Dust off was in his system. No other drugs. Kyle had died between midnight and 1 AM

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9 through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting, a takeoff from the product's name. It will produce a high for about 10 seconds. It makes them
    dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us showed Kyle how to do this about a month before.

Kyle showed his best friend. Toldhim it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. It's just compressed air. It can't hurt you. His best friend said no. Kyle was wrong. It's not just compressed air. It also contains a propellant called R2. It's a refrigerant like what is used in your refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out That's why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to your heart. It can more than hurt you...... IT KILLS YOU.

The horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. It's Russian Roulette. You don't die later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as you're breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing "the hit." That's why the straw was still in
    Kyle's mouth when he died. Why his eyes were still open.

The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it doesn't fit here. And that's why it’s more accepted. There is no chemical reaction, no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing signals.

Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had only known.

It's easy to say hey, it's my life and I'll do what I want. But it isn't. Others are always affected. This has forever changed our family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be fixed. The pain is so immense I can't describe it. There's nowhere to run from it. I cry all the time. I do what I'm supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One won't talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night. And my wife, I can't even describe how bad she is taking this.

I thought we were safe because of Thor. I thought we were safe because we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A probation Officer went to the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a drug problem there. They don't even have a dare or plus program there. So rather than tell everyone about this "new" way of getting high they found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle
    's death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they had told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs. Using Dust Off isn't new and some "professionals" do know about. It just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They all seem to know about it. April 2nd was one month since Kyle
    died. April 5th would have been his 15th
    birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the bus. I know Kyle
    is in heaven but I can't help but wonder if I have also died and ..... and have gone to Hell. It certainly is a Hell!!