Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 7,598, Level: 26
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    fulll02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    157
    Points
    7,598
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Summer League for the Women???

    We've got the facts on the men's Capital City League.

    Anyone know if the women are playing in any summer league games this summer?

    When they start and where they play?

    Last season they played at Grand View on Sunday nights.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 218,151, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,307
    Points
    218,151
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    My buddy knows a guy, Whose cousin heard from a friend, that there older brother went to a woman's summer league game.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 51,120, Level: 69
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    51,120
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Both men's and women's summer league games are a joke. The only positive is seeing imcoming recruits in person for the first time, but even that is misleading since the basketball is so bad.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    My buddy knows a guy, Whose cousin heard from a friend, that there older brother went to a woman's summer league game.
    So that was the one spectator who would go to this.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Some enjoy women's hoops and some don't. I don't see why the same set of people feel the need to go into these threads about a subject they don't like (women's hoops) and proceed to whiz all over it. If ya don't like it, fine. Let those that do, enjoy it.

    Cyclone women's basketball is an Iowa State sport. Just because they are women, doesn't make them any less significant than the men's team - they put in just as much hard work and make the same sacrifices. Going out of your way to put down these individuals is, IMO, pathetic.

    I don't know if a summer league exists or when it starts. I assume there is a women's summer league, it will start around the same time the men's league does.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    I would not think there would be a womens league or people would be talking about it. I do think that women are less serious about basketball because there is not as much future in it after college. Marginal mens bball players have a shot to play after college, only the top few women will get to play after college.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    So your perceived view that women are less serious about college hoops and the fact fewer make it to the pro level are the reasons for ripping on our women's basketball program? Makes sense.

    Tell it to Medders and players like that - I'm sure it will be received well.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    So your perceived view that women are less serious about college hoops and the fact fewer make it to the pro level are the reasons for ripping on our women's basketball program? Makes sense.

    Tell it to Medders and players like that - I'm sure it will be received well.
    I was not ripping ISU womens basketball, just the fact that there is no interest in a summer womens league like capital city.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 7,598, Level: 26
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    fulll02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    157
    Points
    7,598
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I was not ripping ISU womens basketball, just the fact that there is no interest in a summer womens league like capital city.
    You claim the "fact" on this?

    There was a summer league last year with ISU WBB players along Drake, Simpson, DMACC, and other small college players from the area. I personally attended at least three of the sessions and would estimate the attendance of 100-200 people per game.

    I will certainly grant that interest levels in the women's league is less than that of any men's summer league, but to say there is no interest simply because you have no interest, is arrogant conjecture.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Some enjoy women's hoops and some don't. I don't see why the same set of people feel the need to go into these threads about a subject they don't like (women's hoops) and proceed to whiz all over it. If ya don't like it, fine. Let those that do, enjoy it.
    So what can we poo poo on?

    Hawk fans
    Neb fans
    Rebublicans
    not female athletes
    certainly not Nascar
    the Cubs
    Global warming nutcases
    Bud light drinkers
    The rich
    Certain athiest professors trying to get their 15 min

    Anything I left out?


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    There is a summer league in des moines started last year. I have seen the ISU women's workouts and what they commit themselves to and I can tell you there is no way they are less committed than men. In fact, I would even go so far as to say they are more committed to developing as BB players because they aren't focused on the showboat moves and just making a buck. They play and practice and work out for the love of the game and because they are pure competitors.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Oh don't make this a global issue - you're avoiding the issue.

    If you feel the need to bash women's sports to make yourself feel better or whatever - fine - please go right ahead.

    Just don't expect it to be received well.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 452,603, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,719
    Points
    452,603
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    There is a summer league in des moines started last year. I have seen the ISU women's workouts and what they commit themselves to and I can tell you there is no way they are less committed than men. In fact, I would even go so far as to say they are more committed to developing as BB players because they aren't focused on the showboat moves and just making a buck. They play and practice and work out for the love of the game and because they are pure competitors.
    Right, but what I am saying is there is probably a lack of developmental leagues because there is a lack of oppurtunity post college. There are no Paul Shirley type women that move from team to team and play 15 day contracts in the wbna one day and then spain the next. There is just no market for the "next level" of womens basketball.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  14. #14
    cyclONEnation
    Points: 236,443, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    C.John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,431
    Points
    236,443
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 44

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Central Iowa Women's Summer League at Sisam Arena at Grand View College in Des Moines, Iowa will be played each Sunday from June 17 to July 22.
    Contact
    Rick Sanders at rick@midwest-classic.com for more info.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Summer League for the Women???

    Lets not forget...our lowly women's hoops team has been doing something better than our men...

    Winning.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM