Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Chevy Volt

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 206,757, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,481
    Points
    206,757
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 372

    Chevy Volt

    Chevy just released prices on the Volt. $41K and $33,500 after tax credits. It sounds like most people are excited about the lease price which is $350/month for 36 months plus $2,500 at signing.

    I have no interest in buying the car but after running some numbers, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

    Thoughts?



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 80,905, Level: 88
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,045
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,345
    Points
    80,905
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 13

    Re: Chevy Volt

    I was shocked when I first saw your numbers but the car I was thinking of was the Tesla. But those number are still pretty impressive and promising.


    Last edited by RyCy04; 07-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 17,524, Level: 40
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    665
    Points
    17,524
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 6

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Apparently it requires premium fuel (after the first 40 miles anyway).

    It's probably not a big deal financially considering how little gas it will use, but I doubt this will go over well with the crowd interested in this type of vehicle.

    Chevy Volt: 40 Miles Without A Drop Of… Premium Gasoline? | The Truth About Cars



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 206,757, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,481
    Points
    206,757
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 372

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
    Apparently it requires premium fuel (after the first 40 miles anyway).

    It's probably not a big deal financially considering how little gas it will use, but I doubt this will go over well with the crowd interested in this type of vehicle.

    Chevy Volt: 40 Miles Without A Drop Of… Premium Gasoline? | The Truth About Cars

    This is one of the last things I would worry about for this car but you're right, they will.

    I have to use premium in my car which only gets about 23mpg. I hate it but that's the price you pay to own a car with a turbo.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Chevy Volt

    I'm not a big lease fan, but on a totally new technology car like this that would probably be the safest thing to do until they get the bugs worked out.

    $41,000 seems like a lot to save money on gas, but sure there will be a lot of buyers.

    Wonder where the Nissan Leaf will be priced?

    Personally, give me a Toyota Corrola for a 1/3 of the price.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 253,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,665
    Points
    253,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 0

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Wonder where the Nissan Leaf will be priced?
    $32,780 total, $25,280 net after the tax breaks. I would be really interested to see how much more energy people will use charging the battery and what the cost will be there. It will be a little while before they get in my price range but I'd love to get a totally electric car.




  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 452,612, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,720
    Points
    452,612
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I'm not a big lease fan, but on a totally new technology car like this that would probably be the safest thing to do until they get the bugs worked out.

    $41,000 seems like a lot to save money on gas, but sure there will be a lot of buyers.

    Wonder where the Nissan Leaf will be priced?

    Personally, give me a Toyota Corrola for a 1/3 of the price.
    Leaf will be about 10k less expensive than the volt. Volt is much better looking though.

    GM announces $350 lease for the Volt - Jul. 27, 2010


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 270,224, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,498
    Points
    270,224
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 28

    Re: Chevy Volt

    I'm still waiting for Hydrogen.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 206,757, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,481
    Points
    206,757
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 372

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    $32,780 total, $25,280 net after the tax breaks. I would be really interested to see how much more energy people will use charging the battery and what the cost will be there. It will be a little while before they get in my price range but I'd love to get a totally electric car.
    This is tough to justify. Even after the tax savings you're still paying a $10K premium for the fuel savings. I'm making the assumption that the leaf won't be better than a $15K car like the Versa.

    It sounds like Nissan will actually break even on these cars. The Volt will lose money.



  10. #10
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Is there any analysis on savings on maintenance? Obviously these still have a combustable engine with all the maintenance that goes with. So it probably doesn't matter with the Volt or Leaf.

    But I recall in the documentary on the EV1 that a purely electric car has a small fraction of the upkeep costs. Something to consider when questioning the premium over a similar gas vehicle.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 206,757, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,481
    Points
    206,757
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 372

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Is there any analysis on savings on maintenance? Obviously these still have a combustable engine with all the maintenance that goes with. So it probably doesn't matter with the Volt or Leaf.

    But I recall in the documentary on the EV1 that a purely electric car has a small fraction of the upkeep costs. Something to consider when questioning the premium over a similar gas vehicle.
    The Leaf is 100% electric so I would think maintenance would be a lot lower. I think the big question mark is the batteries and resale. Are you going to want to buy an electric vehicle with 60K miles? How many miles will you get out of the batteries? What loss of performance can you expect? Just a lot of questions.

    I think the one saving grace has been the Toyota Prius. As much as I hate them they have been very reliable so the resale has been VERY good.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 81,936, Level: 88
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,835
    Points
    81,936
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 0

    Re: Chevy Volt

    I guess this would be useful for in-town commuters, but for a family car it doesn't seem worth it. If you drive over 40 miles, the gasoline engine kicks in at 80 HP! My Corolla has around 110 HP and I'm not sure that it would be drivable without the manual transmission to work the RPM's. I could not imagine the drag with passengers and the extra weight of batteries. I'll stick to my 35-38 mpg and wait until someone (other than Tesla) can figure out electric vehicles.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 23,725, Level: 47
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,114
    Points
    23,725
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Its a gasoline generator that charges the battories so the car's performance will be the same as the first 40 miles. Or at least thats my understanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I guess this would be useful for in-town commuters, but for a family car it doesn't seem worth it. If you drive over 40 miles, the gasoline engine kicks in at 80 HP! My Corolla has around 110 HP and I'm not sure that it would be drivable without the manual transmission to work the RPM's. I could not imagine the drag with passengers and the extra weight of batteries. I'll stick to my 35-38 mpg and wait until someone (other than Tesla) can figure out electric vehicles.


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

  14. #14
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Chevy Volt

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    The Leaf is 100% electric so I would think maintenance would be a lot lower. I think the big question mark is the batteries and resale. Are you going to want to buy an electric vehicle with 60K miles? How many miles will you get out of the batteries? What loss of performance can you expect? Just a lot of questions.

    I think the one saving grace has been the Toyota Prius. As much as I hate them they have been very reliable so the resale has been VERY good.
    I thought the leaf was. But the article I just read stated they figured it's mileage at 300+/gal. Which I couldn't really figure...

    Batteries are definitely the question mark with most all these vehicles. And I suspect that it was intentionally omitted in that doc (or I'm just not remembering - been a while).

    We briefly looked at the Prius a couple years ago. I really don't see the knock on them. I like having a nice car - but don't get into styles or sportiness at all. But when we looked at the Prius - it was neat little car.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 40,688, Level: 62
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyLoboClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,447
    Points
    40,688
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

    Re: Chevy Volt

    doesnt the 80hp gas engine charge the batts only? I think the gas engine does not provide power to the wheels, it charges the motors which power the wheels. Isn't this correct?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM