Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 0

Diante Garrett notes

I asked a very reputable poster from the Wisconsin board who is really tuned in to Wisky high school ball, and he gave me this little writeup on Garrett:

Glad to be of assistance. Here's what I know about Garrett. I had a chance to watch Garrett play against Madison Memorial in a #1 (Vincent) vs. #2 (Memorial) game in the state quarterfinals, then against #3 Oshkosh West in the state finals.

His body and the way he moves reminds me of former Badger Devin Harris. He is a solid athlete, not jump-out-of-the-gym, but certainly good enough. He is a bit thin, not to the point where he could not play because of it, but he could stand to add a bit of strength and weight. He seemed to handle the ball equally well with both hands, and appeared to be a very strong ball-handler overall. He gets into the lane very well. I would say his ability to penetrate is currently the best part of his game. In addition, he did not have problems getting his shot off once he got into the lane, despite Memorial having 2007 PF Keaton Nankivil (UW signee) and West having good size as a team. His favorite shot seemed to be a little floater once he got by his man and into the lane. From the perimeter, his form looks pretty decent, but he needs to get more consistent. Shooting from the perimeter is probably the weakest part of his game. I don't recall any problems defensively, he seemed to work hard. Vincent has always been known as a good defensive team, but they play some junk defenses. I don't know what sort of defense McDermott plays, but I wouldn't think Garrett's defense would be a problem at the college level.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, but there have been rumors about academic problems. I have nothing to substantiate that, but it was curious to me that UW never seriously pursued him, despite Garrett being the second best player in the state behind Nankivil. The Milwaukee publics schools are really poor, if there are problems with Garrett, it is due at least in part to where he goes to school. UW has a junior-to-be named Marcus Landry, who was academically ineligible the second semester of his freshman year. By all accounts, Landry is a good kid, hard worker. Landry attended the same high school as Garrett. Again, I don't mean to knock Garrett in this regard because I really don't know any more than what's kicked around on message boards. I hope everything works out for him and he has a nice career at ISU.

Sorry if that was too much, that's about everything I can think of in regards to Garrett.
    I wouldn't worry too much about him being eligible, because since it's summertime now I would imagine we'd run into this before now. I like the Devin Harris comparision, I loved him in college.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Diante Garrett notes

It will be nice to have a guard that can get into the lane without losing the ball and get off shots or get fouled. Tinsley was great that way.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

He penetrates and likes to shoot the floater? Sounds like Stinson and his tear drop.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

If Garrett and Brister are able to penetrate as well as everyone says they can, our offense should be in good shape. The offense was missing a lot last year, but I think that is what hurt us the most.
    And I think they will have 4 other guys on the court who can score next year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 409
    Given: 255

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    IThe offense was missing a lot last year, but I think that is what hurt us the most.
    I agree 100% - everyone on the team except Taylor seemed afraid to go strong to the hoop.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am also really excited to see guys who can drive and kick to shooters like Staiger and Boozer. Since we lacked shooters we also didn't have anybody to kick out to and that let other teams collapse the lane. It will be nice to our guys down low have some room to work.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 419

Loved the tear drop by Stinson. Nobody could block it and he always made it. Money

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 679

Garrett will have trouble in the lane against Big 12 competition his freshman year. He is very skinny. I still think he'll play alot.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 419

It's not always about being skinny though. Look at Rip Hamilton. He has great body control. I am not saying putting on some weight won't help the kid but if he has great control over his body he should have no problem. The big's down low is where you really need bulk and power. Unless your 7'8 inches tall and Chinese.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

I alsosaw the same three games, although my view was through a 27" TV screen. I saw exactly the same thing. Garrett is extremely smooth, athletic, unselfish, and skinny. When he got into the lane he shot his little floater rather than challenge the big guy and take it all the way for a dunk or layup. Maybe because he was outweighed by 50# ?? At any rate he avoided contact. I don't recall him making more than 1 trey during the tournement, but he didn't attempt many either. He needs to add weight, but I think he will make us proud before his career at ISU ends

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Garrett will have trouble in the lane against Big 12 competition his freshman year. He is very skinny. I still think he'll play alot.
    W. Johnson was skinny also, athleticism can make up for skinny. Getting to the line is tough if you don't have strength though. I visited with Johnson last evening, what a great guy, plus he can play ball!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 530

ISUFan22 hit it right on the head.

Although Taylor was out of control... it was needed to have him take it to the rack or at least take some shots

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    ISUFan22 hit it right on the head.

Although Taylor was out of control... it was needed to have him take it to the rack or at least take some shots
    That is true, but I'm excited about having a guy with a better handle than Mike, who was just as likely to lose the ball as get a shot off.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I asked a very reputable poster from the Wisconsin board who is really tuned in to Wisky high school ball, and he gave me this little writeup on Garrett:

I wouldn't worry too much about him being eligible, because since it's summertime now I would imagine we'd run into this before now. I like the Devin Harris comparision, I loved him in college.
    He already has a qualifying test score. The only thing to worry about was did he graduate from high school or not.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I believe the Wisconsin board poster was suggesting that he heard Diante struggled in school and although he has qualifying scores for ISU he might struggle with grades once here, hence the comparison with Landry who was ineligible after his first semester of college. Just wanted to help clarify since it seems a couple people interpreted it differently.