Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Donovan to receive temporary ban from NBA?

Finally, some consequences...

Billy Donovan and the Magic entered talks on Monday to terminate the contract that he signed on Friday, but the NBA might have a say in resolving the matter as well, ESPN.com has learned.

Multiple sources said that Donovan is being asked to refrain from coaching in the NBA for five years as one of the terms of his release from his Magic contract. Especially in light of this newest wrinkle, negotiations were expected to continue into Tuesday.

ESPN's Kelly Naqi cites a Magic team source saying Donovan obtained legal representation at 6 p.m. Monday to work on the complexities of the contract with Orlando attorneys.

The source also said that Donovan has called high-ranking team officials several times apologizing for the his change of heart. According to the source, Donovan said, "I'm so sorry this happened. I meant no harm. My heart is in Florida."

Continued...

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Donovan to receive temporary ban from NBA?

Well if his heart is with Florida who cares about the ban. If he's really into coaching Florida, another 5 years away from the NBA is no big deal. Obviously he wasn't ready for it this time after pulling a Dana Altman...

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Well if his heart is with Florida who cares about the ban. If he's really into coaching Florida, another 5 years away from the NBA is no big deal. Obviously he wasn't ready for it this time after pulling a Dana Altman...
    I agree Travman. Consequences without teeth are just window dressing. I don't see where he caused Orlando any harm by going back to Fla.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

He caused Orlando a rather significant PR mess - that is causing them harm. They sold something like 300 new season tickets just on Friday alone.

Did anyone lose their job over it or players left? No...yet harm was done.

I just want to see something happen to Donovan and the guys that think they can come and go on a whim.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I'm not saying what he did was right, it was lame to back out like that but whatever comes out of it as a "reprimand" will really be inconsequential in the big picture view of things. Donovan goes back to coach at Florida and Orlando hires someone like Stan VanGundy who is an expirienced NBA head coach and everyone moves on. Donovan is probably not thinking about jumping to the NBA again anytime soon anyways after this so give him a 5 year, heck even 10 year ban and I doubt it really matters.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    He caused Orlando a rather significant PR mess - that is causing them harm. They sold something like 300 new season tickets just on Friday alone.

PR mess is an understatement. When a college coach spurs your NBA franchise after accepting the job, it makes your franchise look bad.

And I'd be POed if I was one of those new season ticket holders that bought a ticket because of him. I'd also have a change of heart and demand my money back. If Billy can do it...why can't season ticket holders do it?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

I just want to see something happen to Donovan and the guys that think they can come and go on a whim.
    I just think it is flat out unprofessional and immature. I mean come on, we are talking about your career here. You should know going in this is a very serious and very critical career decision affecting you, your family, your current employer, prospective employer, etc. Take the time and think through it. If you haven't thought through it enough to make a decision then don't commit until you do think it through. Once you have taken enough time and committed then stay committed. It's called integrity.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My sense is that it would be pretty tough to enforce this sort of "ban".

I work in an industry where you are typically asked to sign non-compete clauses and every lawyer I've ever discussed a non-compete with has told me that they are virtually impossible to enforce.

In this situation, the only real enforcement would come from David Stern. If someone other than the Magic tried to hire Donovan during this period he could probably not stop it...but he may be able to force the party that would hire Donovan to pay some sort of compensation (monetary or players) to the Magic.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Prospect
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

His heart is in Florida?? Isn't Orlando in Florida?? :-)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,332
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    My sense is that it would be pretty tough to enforce this sort of "ban".

I work in an industry where you are typically asked to sign non-compete clauses and every lawyer I've ever discussed a non-compete with has told me that they are virtually impossible to enforce.

In this situation, the only real enforcement would come from David Stern. If someone other than the Magic tried to hire Donovan during this period he could probably not stop it...but he may be able to force the party that would hire Donovan to pay some sort of compensation (monetary or players) to the Magic.
    I'm not sure the non-compete clause analogy holds. Here he is being asked to agree to not coach in the NBA in consideration for being released from his contract.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 165

Travman Quote: "Obviously he wasn't ready for it this time after pulling a Dana Altman..."

I don't think he pulled a Dana Altman. True, he reneged on his initial decision after an announcement was made. But that is really where most of the similarities end. Altman saw the mess that is the University of Arkansas athletic department & realized that he wouldn't have administrative support to implement a plan to instill integrity and respectability back into the program. He took the high ground by not explaining the realities of the Arkansas mess, and that opened himself up to attack.

Donovan, however, was coming into a great situation in Orlando with great "administrative" support. He obviously made a mistake by not fully thinking through his intial decision to accept Orlando's offer.

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"