Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Help with HD picture on new TV?

I just purchased a 55" Samsung LED TV. I have Mediacom and have been having problems with the HD picture. On certain channels it looks perfectly clear and fantastic, like any HD show on NBC, CNN, HBO, etc. etc. These come through as 1080i.

But ESPN and a lot of other "HD" channels look awful, football games are very fuzzy/blurry. I've watched some ABC/ESPN HD repeat football games on the BTN, same result. It seems to be most noticeable when the camera is zoomed out from the players on the field of play, but when they zoom close up on a player the picture becomes pretty clear again. Any channels that don't look very good are reading 720. It's still HD, but I find it hard to believe this is the best quality HD ESPN has to offer.

Now I can't watch any sports on NBC right now, but I assume this fall when Notre Dame/NFL comes on the games will be very good quality. Much better than ESPN. I owned a small 32" 720p TV and I didn't notice the difference of quality between channels on that TV like I do on this 55 inch.

My questions for you wise ones....

1. Does anyone else notice this difference of HD quality on a bigger 1080p TV? Whether you have Mediacom or DirecTV/Dish...is this due to NBC having better cameras or a better broadcast? I assume not. I bought the TV online, but I took a look at it in American before I watched it. I'm pretty sure they have Directv or dish wired to all their televisions. They had the Orange Bowl on dvr which was very good quality.

2. So I assume this a Mediacom issue? I know dish has better HD and I plan on switching come December.

I just want to make sure its not an issue with the TV, because if it is, its going back since I purchased this mainly to watch sports.

Kind of interested in FiOS TV by Verizon, but I don't think its available in the DSM area yet. Supposedly it has fantastic HD quality.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 142

Re: Help with HD picture on new TV?

Have you updated your coax? If not that maybe the issues. The new stuff makes a big difference in signal quality. If you do have to replace it get the good stuff, dont go cheap on it.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a pretty old one I think. But I don't understand how some channels would still come in with really good quality if the cord was the problem.

Last edited by M3MEPLEASE; 07-24-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 142

Not just the cord all the coax from the outside box to your TV. I would sure start there if it is old. People have issues with coax that is 15 years old. I was having problems with over the air channels coming in on my TV I replaced the coax from the ant to the TV and I get Des Moines and some Omaha statiions clear as can be now. A guy I know lives in a house that isnt even 10 years old and was having problems getting 1080i on some channels, with Direct. Changed the coax and it made his picture so much better.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Not just the cord all the coax from the outside box to your TV. I would sure start there if it is old. People have issues with coax that is 15 years old. I was having problems with over the air channels coming in on my TV I replaced the coax from the ant to the TV and I get Des Moines and some Omaha statiions clear as can be now. A guy I know lives in a house that isnt even 10 years old and was having problems getting 1080i on some channels, with Direct. Changed the coax and it made his picture so much better.
    I live in a really old apartment building so you might be on to something. I move in Dec, so I plan on switching to dish when that happens.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    This doesn't make sense. With digital, either the signal is strong enough to display or it isn't. It isn't like analog where you could make the snow/static/fuzzies disappear.

It could be that your tv isn't upscaling the 720p correctly, but samsung makes the best LCDs, so that is not likely the problem.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bstegs View Post
    This doesn't make sense. With digital, either the signal is strong enough to display or it isn't. It isn't like analog where you could make the snow/static/fuzzies disappear.

It could be that your tv isn't upscaling the 720p correctly, but samsung makes the best LCDs, so that is not likely the problem.
    It's Mediacom

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 102

I have directv and have noticed in the past the big 10 replays can look terrible in HD. The actual live games were fine, but the replays showed a drop in quality. I haven't watched any lately, but it may not be your tv but the quality of the channel.

If you have ESPNU in HD, they show a lot of replays as well, so that may give you an idea.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 526

Have you messed with the "native"setting on your TV or on the Mediacom box?

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Nobody broadcasts in 1080p at the moment, and it's unlikely they will anytime soon.

For watching sports, 720p Plasmas are about the best thing on the market.

My guess is you're seeing the limitations of Mediacom. There's no real way to find out for sure until you switch though.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Get Directv!

Sorry I didn't help much, but in my opinion it is the best option out there.