Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 17,906, Level: 40
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,889
    Points
    17,906
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

    B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Going back to five days, with a break between the quarterfinals and semifinals, playing on Tuesday-Wednesday, off Thursday, Friday-Saturday. Championship game will be played on Saturday afternoon before the men's game.


    Format Change - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Going back to five days, with a break between the quarterfinals and semifinals, playing on Tuesday-Wednesday, off Thursday, Friday-Saturday. Championship game will be played on Saturday afternoon before the men's game.


    Format Change - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site
    I personally like the other format better. It would be OK if it was being held somewhere other than KC.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 20,248, Level: 43
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Points
    20,248
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    That day off before the semis will allow for larger weekend crowds. Fans whose teams make it can decide to make it a weekend



  4. #4
    Walk On
    Points: 12,169, Level: 33
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    207
    Points
    12,169
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    I personally like the other format better. It would be OK if it was being held somewhere other than KC.

    huh?


    Making a difference everyday!

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ARSON View Post
    huh?
    If it was in Oklahoma City or Dallas at least there would be more things to do while the people at those places make you feel welcome. The KC area is a dump IMO.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 26,263, Level: 49
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    west of dm east of cb
    Posts
    1,529
    Points
    26,263
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 68

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    If it was in Oklahoma City or Dallas at least there would be more things to do while the people at those places make you feel welcome. The KC area is a dump IMO.
    Did you go to Oklahoma City 2 years ago? I did and there is not that much more to do in OK City than watch the games. Besides we get alot more fans when we play in Hilton south then in OK City.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    Did you go to Oklahoma City 2 years ago? I did and there is not that much more to do in OK City than watch the games. Besides we get alot more fans when we play in Hilton south then in OK City.
    Yes we did. If the weather would have been normal instead of freezing rain, there would have been more to do. I just do not get a great feeling when we are in KC.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 17,906, Level: 40
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,889
    Points
    17,906
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    Yes we did. If the weather would have been normal instead of freezing rain, there would have been more to do. I just do not get a great feeling when we are in KC.
    My guess if you asked most fans if they would rather go to KC or OKC, they would choose KC. When the tourney was in Dallas, it was a joke with average at best attendance and Dallas is a pro sports town, they honestly could care less about the B12 tourney, especially since they have the Super Bowl in 2011. We draw MUCH better in KC. Do I think Civic Auditorium is a great venue, no - but I'll take a three hour drive vs. a seven hour drive anytime. We've pulled off far more magic in KC than we ever did in Dallas, or OKC. I'll take the two championships in KC, the OT win over K-State, the last second buzzer beater to beat CU by Angie Welle, and another one by Lyndsey Medders that all happened in KC anytime. THe other playing option in KC is to play the women's tourney at Kemper and according to the KC folks I talked to, they said that would kill it.

    This is a temporary fix anyway, once Nebby and CU are gone, you will only have two opening round games instead of four so all you will need to do in the conference is finish in the top six to get the opening round off. I wouldn't be surprised to see the tourney go back to four days when you go to 10 teams. I'm guessing they'll play Wednesday-Saturday.

    I can always find plenty to do in KC, guess it's just a matter of opinion.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 42,198, Level: 63
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,198
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    If it was in Oklahoma City or Dallas at least there would be more things to do while the people at those places make you feel welcome. The KC area is a dump IMO.
    Municipal auditorium? Downtown KC in general? I've heard that since the Sprint Center has opened its got a much better feel.

    I love the tourney in KC, and as someone from KC, I would agree downtown KC is not great. Haven't really gotten to experience the Sprint Center yet. Muni needs a new ceiling, sound system, and seats, but I love the art deco of Muni and the Music Hall. The energy seems good there too.



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 2,806, Level: 15
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    36
    Points
    2,806
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Can't say much for Dallas since I haven't been there, but OKC has bricktown and KC has the P&L District and I've found plenty to do there during the tourney. Maybe I'm just easily entertainable.

    Besides - I dig the pic the Big 12 site used for this story. Poppens is gettin it!



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 20,248, Level: 43
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Points
    20,248
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonePower88 View Post
    Can't say much for Dallas since I haven't been there, but OKC has bricktown and KC has the P&L District and I've found plenty to do there during the tourney. Maybe I'm just easily entertainable.

    Besides - I dig the pic the Big 12 site used for this story. Poppens is gettin it!
    I am actually in the background in that picture, sitting about four rows up on the right side next to the tunnel.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 54,422, Level: 72
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,218
    Points
    54,422
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    I personally like the other format better. It would be OK if it was being held somewhere other than KC.
    Are you serious? KC is the consummate place for the tourney. The city loves ISU, there is lots to do there, great eating, and ISU draws major crowds. They don't call it Hilton South for nothing!!



  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Are you serious? KC is the consummate place for the tourney. The city loves ISU, there is lots to do there, great eating, and ISU draws major crowds. They don't call it Hilton South for nothing!!
    The feelings about KC probably stem from a while ago when we had our vehicle vandalized in the downtown area when we were at Municipal. It was in the middle of the afternoon, a window was broken, and some valuable stolen. We talked to others that year that had the same thing happen.

    The other thing is the attitude of the workers at the tourney. They act like they hate being there. On the other hand, the Oklahoma location was cleaner and the workers were friendlier.

    I will go anywhere to watch the Cyclone basketball teams play, but I don't have to like the locations.

    I will say that The University of California is a very nasty area too, but I got to see a very good win.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 19,963, Level: 43
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    majorcyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,037
    Points
    19,963
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

    Re: B12 Women's Tourney Changes Format for 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    The feelings about KC probably stem from a while ago when we had our vehicle vandalized in the downtown area when we were at Municipal. It was in the middle of the afternoon, a window was broken, and some valuable stolen. We talked to others that year that had the same thing happen.

    The other thing is the attitude of the workers at the tourney. They act like they hate being there. On the other hand, the Oklahoma location was cleaner and the workers were friendlier.

    I will go anywhere to watch the Cyclone basketball teams play, but I don't have to like the locations.

    I will say that The University of California is a very nasty area too, but I got to see a very good win.

    The trick to this is to use the KC shuttle bus system as much as you can.


    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM