Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Need help from a farmer

    So I am trying to estimate the number of jobs and workers it would take to harvest corn stover for a biomass application.

    How many acres can someone harvest in an 8 hour day? How many acres of hay, large bales, (and number of bales bales) can you get through in an 8 hour day (this can be hay or stover)?

    Thanks



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 21,611, Level: 44
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    552
    Points
    21,611
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    So I am trying to estimate the number of jobs and workers it would take to harvest corn stover for a biomass application.

    How many acres can someone harvest in an 8 hour day? How many acres of hay, large bales, (and number of bales bales) can you get through in an 8 hour day (this can be hay or stover)?

    Thanks
    This math paper might be of some help to you:
    Mathematical Models Can Make Farmers More Efficient



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 30,483, Level: 53
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tube1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,020
    Points
    30,483
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    PNF - Pyrocyz Needs Farmers


    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 361,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,228
    Points
    361,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 73

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    So I am trying to estimate the number of jobs and workers it would take to harvest corn stover for a biomass application.

    How many acres can someone harvest in an 8 hour day? How many acres of hay, large bales, (and number of bales bales) can you get through in an 8 hour day (this can be hay or stover)?

    Thanks
    I know you didn't ask for this but I don't see stover becoming economical.

    Anyway, that all depends on how much machinery you have and other things like that. There are so many variables.


    It's all snark from here on out

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I know you didn't ask for this but I don't see stover becoming economical.

    Anyway, that all depends on how much machinery you have and other things like that. There are so many variables.

    Are you a farmer?



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 43,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,016
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,974
    Points
    43,234
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Way too many variables to just throw out a number. How big is the machinery? How many operators do you have? What are the sizes, shapes and locations of the fields? How fast can you get machinery running after a breakdown? How far does the grain need to be hauled and will that be a limiting factor?



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 23,234, Level: 46
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cowboycurtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    909
    Points
    23,234
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 5

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    here is a sheet that a lot of farmers use for billing customers when doing custom work. i dont bale hay or stover so i cant give you a very accurate estimate on that but there are some prices on here for baling. hopefully this helps some.

    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub...ons/FM1698.pdf



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 77,689, Level: 86
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,130
    Points
    77,689
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 33

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post
    Way too many variables to just throw out a number. How big is the machinery? How many operators do you have? What are the sizes, shapes and locations of the fields? How fast can you get machinery running after a breakdown? How far does the grain need to be hauled and will that be a limiting factor?
    this.


    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 133,643, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    FarminCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Right Over There
    Posts
    2,800
    Points
    133,643
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 89

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I know you didn't ask for this but I don't see stover becoming economical.

    Anyway, that all depends on how much machinery you have and other things like that. There are so many variables.
    I agree. Let alone the ramifications of what it would do to the ground if everything was taken off on a regular basis.

    My view is utilize the cobs if need be but leave the stalks. And personally I don't even want to deal with the cobs, looks like a PIA if you ask me.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post
    Way too many variables to just throw out a number. How big is the machinery? How many operators do you have? What are the sizes, shapes and locations of the fields? How fast can you get machinery running after a breakdown? How far does the grain need to be hauled and will that be a limiting factor?
    I know. I am just looking for a typical farmer going out and having a good day in the fields. How much work can get done? This only needs to be a rough estimate and I thought that I would try to get some real input.

    If I was back home I would just walk down the road and talk to my neighbors, but I am not there.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    I agree. Let alone the ramifications of what it would do to the ground if everything was taken off on a regular basis.

    My view is utilize the cobs if need be but leave the stalks. And personally I don't even want to deal with the cobs, looks like a PIA if you ask me.

    I never said that I want people to remove all of the stover. Sustainably, you should be able to remove half of the stover without any ramifications to the soil.

    What do you think that you would need to get paid to be convinced to remove a small amount of the stover? $100/acre??

    What if I also had a product that could replace some of the carbon and the nutrients that were removed?



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 23,234, Level: 46
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cowboycurtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    909
    Points
    23,234
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 5

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    I never said that I want people to remove all of the stover. Sustainably, you should be able to remove half of the stover without any ramifications to the soil.

    What do you think that you would need to get paid to be convinced to remove a small amount of the stover? $100/acre??

    What if I also had a product that could replace some of the carbon and the nutrients that were removed?
    I will remove all the stover you want for $100 an acre. i will be there any time you want.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 43,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,016
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,974
    Points
    43,234
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    I know. I am just looking for a typical farmer going out and having a good day in the fields. How much work can get done? This only needs to be a rough estimate and I thought that I would try to get some real input.

    If I was back home I would just walk down the road and talk to my neighbors, but I am not there.
    Ok, rough estimate: 24 row corn head and a good day about 20 ac/hr.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 121,496, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,323
    Points
    121,496
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 802

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    What is stover?



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 51,023, Level: 69
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pyrocyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    51,023
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Need help from a farmer

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
    I will remove all the stover you want for $100 an acre. i will be there any time you want.

    Basically when it comes down to it, most economics being run on corn stover collection say that it will cost approximately $70/ dry ton. Lets assume that it is a dry year and your stover is sitting at 30% moisture. That equates to about $53/wet ton and a lot of people think that you could remove between 1.5 and 2 tons per acre sustainably. At 1.5 tons/acre you are looking at about $80/ acre for a farmer.

    The challenge in my mind will be a wet year when farmers are hard pressed to get their corn out. Then you will have to pay a premium to convince them to go back and get the stover. Thats where single pass bailing could be an asset (which by the way ISU is developing a couple different technologies on how to implement this). That way you could collect your stover while you are harvesting your crop.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM