Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Magic Johnson: Joining with Larry Bird, Michael Jordan not an option - ESPN

    I don't really see why people are so up in arms about this still. Why is this news? I am not an NBA fan, but the majority of championship teams throughout history have had more than one all-star on the team. Get over it, Miami was smarter than everyone with Free agency. Jordan and Magic didn't win anything by themselves, they had top 50 all-time players on their teams. Kobe needed Shaq and Pau, probably both future HOF's. Why is this so wrong? I think it is just jealousy, about the money and headlines and excitement the Miami trio will generate.



  2. #2
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ISUCLONES15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post
    Kobe needed Shaq and Pau, probably both future HOF's.
    Shaq yes, Pau wont even get a sniff at the HOF.



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    Shaq yes, Pau wont even get a sniff at the HOF.
    10 Years (so far), Average about 19 Points per game and 9 Rebounds per game. 2 NBA Titles. 3 or 4 more years with those averages and he will definately get a sniff. May not get in, but probaby should IMO.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 173,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,032
    Points
    173,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    What do these old geezers know about basketball today?? They think they are so smart just because they played when people actually cared about the NBA?!?!?1



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 95,211, Level: 96
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,698
    Points
    95,211
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    I think it's mostly that LeBron has been hyped as the next Jordan and its his legacy now that will be tainted. LBJ has had some decent talent in Cleveland that a "great" player would have been able to win with. Now he's essentially trying to stack a team to get that ring rather than put in the hard work and make those playing around you better like MJ did. Wade already has a ring, he has nothing more to prove or lose in this deal and the Heat is still his team so if LBJ does win a ring with the heat it won't be because of his greatness and he led them to it, it will be because the team he's on had the most talent. Teams with the most talent don't always win the title, just ask the Mavs or the Lakers team that had Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton. Magic, Bird, and Jordan all lead their teams to rings, I doubt you can say LBJ did that if he wins one in the Heat so these 3 guys are essentially saying he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the all time greats with them just because he wins a ring or more because he wasn't the guy that carried the team and led them to it.


    Go Cubs Go!

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 19,836, Level: 42
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    949
    Points
    19,836
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post
    10 Years (so far), Average about 19 Points per game and 9 Rebounds per game. 2 NBA Titles. 3 or 4 more years with those averages and he will definately get a sniff. May not get in, but probaby should IMO.
    No way. Not a game changer, or extremely impressive in one of the main stat lines.

    plus he looks like an idiot, but that's beside the point



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,855, Level: 64
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,700
    Points
    43,855
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 298

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    This is a big deal because of the awful precedent it has set. Every free agent season is going to consist of big stars conspiring to create these loaded teams. Basically the NBA will be just like baseball, the owners who are willing to throw out gobs of money are going to be the only ones who have a chance to be competitive. Most people don't understand that the NBA really has no salary cap. The cap number is just a limit where the teams are forced to pay the luxury tax if they exceed it. Theres no limit to how far they can exceed it as long as you're just resigning guys you already had on contract.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 57,815, Level: 74
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,934
    Points
    57,815
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 49

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    I think it's mostly that LeBron has been hyped as the next Jordan and its his legacy now that will be tainted. LBJ has had some decent talent in Cleveland that a "great" player would have been able to win with. Now he's essentially trying to stack a team to get that ring rather than put in the hard work and make those playing around you better like MJ did. Wade already has a ring, he has nothing more to prove or lose in this deal and the Heat is still his team so if LBJ does win a ring with the heat it won't be because of his greatness and he led them to it, it will be because the team he's on had the most talent. Teams with the most talent don't always win the title, just ask the Mavs or the Lakers team that had Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton. Magic, Bird, and Jordan all lead their teams to rings, I doubt you can say LBJ did that if he wins one in the Heat so these 3 guys are essentially saying he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the all time greats with them just because he wins a ring or more because he wasn't the guy that carried the team and led them to it.
    This.



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Well, I disagree that a great player could have won with what he had in Cleveland, but that is another discussion. But if this Miami team wins 3 title's and Lebron is the leading scorer, and leading assist man, I guarantee this will all be forgotten, and he will be considered with the greats. Whether they like it or not. To me this just seems like sour old men, who are scared they might get knocked down a peg.



  10. #10
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    This is a big deal because of the awful precedent it has set. Every free agent season is going to consist of big stars conspiring to create these loaded teams. Basically the NBA will be just like baseball, the owners who are willing to throw out gobs of money are going to be the only ones who have a chance to be competitive. Most people don't understand that the NBA really has no salary cap. The cap number is just a limit where the teams are forced to pay the luxury tax if they exceed it. Theres no limit to how far they can exceed it as long as you're just resigning guys you already had on contract.
    This was already happening. How is this different from the Lakers/Celtics of the last few years?



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 10,667, Level: 31
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    646
    Points
    10,667
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Bird had McHale, Parish, Ainge. Magic had Worthy, KAJ. MJ had Pippen, Rodman. Each had a good supporting cast. The big difference is that they all played next to the same all star (top 50 player in history) for at least 10 years. That's not the case anymore. The Cavs tried to bring in talent but only for a half a season and expect them to gel. I don't like it that they all teamed up, but there is much more risk than reward for them now. Win it all a few times, that's expected. Don't win it at all, no matter individual stats, it will be the biggest bust of a team in sports history.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 173,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,032
    Points
    173,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    I think it's mostly that LeBron has been hyped as the next Jordan and its his legacy now that will be tainted. LBJ has had some decent talent in Cleveland that a "great" player would have been able to win with. Now he's essentially trying to stack a team to get that ring rather than put in the hard work and make those playing around you better like MJ did. Wade already has a ring, he has nothing more to prove or lose in this deal and the Heat is still his team so if LBJ does win a ring with the heat it won't be because of his greatness and he led them to it, it will be because the team he's on had the most talent. Teams with the most talent don't always win the title, just ask the Mavs or the Lakers team that had Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton. Magic, Bird, and Jordan all lead their teams to rings, I doubt you can say LBJ did that if he wins one in the Heat so these 3 guys are essentially saying he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the all time greats with them just because he wins a ring or more because he wasn't the guy that carried the team and led them to it.
    Exactly. LeBron has just set himself up to fail. If he wins a title or two, he will split the accolades at least 3-ways. If he had won one in Cleveland it would have been all him (from the public's perception).

    I can only speak for myself, but I always cheered for the Cavs in the Playoffs. I'm not a fan of any particular NBA team, but it was a good story and I wanted to see him bring a championship to Cleveland. He lost me as a fan when he went to Miami, and I'm betting that is the sentiment among most other casual NBA fans.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 95,211, Level: 96
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,698
    Points
    95,211
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    LeBron essentially quit on the Cavs last year in the playoffs too. He had one game he wasn't hustling or anything and I believe there was 1 playoff game he passed up on the game winning shot. Real stars want the last shot in a big game, Wade will be taking those for the Heat I'm sure.

    I remember Jordan scoring 45 or something in 1 finals game and Pippen litterally having to help him off the floor afterwards. THAT is a true superstar right there, MJ could have easily taken the game off or not played as much but instead it was business as usual for him because he wanted to win that bad. You didn't see that effort from a healthy LeBron in that game he looked like he didn't care to be playing in this postseason. Jordan almost seemed to elevate his game even more when he was not feeling well and you couldn't get him to come off the floor even if you dragged him. Today's players don't seem to have that same kind of competitive fire like MJ, Magic, and Bird did.


    Go Cubs Go!

  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Well I blame Kobe for starting this trend, when he wasn't making the finals he was ********, moaning, and threatening to leave until they got 2 seven footers on the team. I just don't see why we have to have the past players diss Lebron. Us as fans are allowed to do it all we want.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 95,211, Level: 96
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,698
    Points
    95,211
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: Magic Johnson Disses LeBron

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Exactly. LeBron has just set himself up to fail. If he wins a title or two, he will split the accolades at least 3-ways. If he had won one in Cleveland it would have been all him (from the public's perception).

    I can only speak for myself, but I always cheered for the Cavs in the Playoffs. I'm not a fan of any particular NBA team, but it was a good story and I wanted to see him bring a championship to Cleveland. He lost me as a fan when he went to Miami, and I'm betting that is the sentiment among most other casual NBA fans.
    Good point, you didn't see Jordan asking to be traded when the Bulls couldn't win early in his career. It took him 7 years before he won his 1st ring and he, Pippen, and Horace Grant played together 3 or 4 years before they finally won their first ring. You never heard Jordan complain about the talent around him and if you look at those Bulls teams most of those role players were nothing more than low paid journeymen till they played with MJ who in the end got several of them some nice contracts. Steve Kerr and Luc Longley especially got some really nice paydays after they broke up the dynasty and no one would ever mistake them for being more than a decent role player. MJ made the talent around him better, even Pippen couldn't win a ring without him and he tried with the Bulls the year after Jordan left the first time and again by teaming up in Houston with Hakeem and Barkley.


    Go Cubs Go!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM