Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: No blacks in baseball. Sheffield knows why

Boy he really thought that through well.

Owners paying big bucks are not going to get the best players because they are worried about 'control'. Yeah RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    ESPN - Sheffield has theory why fewer blacks play MLB

It's because black guys demand respect.
    I am sick of listening to Sheffield on this one...I was up one morning watching Cold Pizza on ESPN 2 (which I usually don't like - I love Mike and Mike in the Morning which is on b4 it), but anyhow they had this guy who i can't remember his name but was basically owning Skip Bayless on this subject (yeah i know everyone own's Skip - He makes Woody Paige look smart.) His basic reasoning was you can't just look at percentages, you have to look at overall #'s as well, bcuz of the addition of many more latinos into the sport of baseball its obviously going to change the percentages, it changed the percentages of asians and whites as well. And another big reason i think is the sport just IS NOT MARKETED to black youths the same as basketball and football are. I just don't believe it's just because african americans demand more RESPECT than latinos, asians, or caucasians. He makes blacks sound like untamed animals who can't play with a team (which isn't true) and honestly: I think he degrades his own race. (pardon me using the word race, i know there is no such thing as a "black" race)

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

What a load of crap! I certainly don't think Sheffield speaks for the majority of African-American ballplayers, but if his comments are representative, it speaks to a systemic problem with the players -- not the management. Respect is not an entitlement. It's something to be earned -- whether it's on the field or in the way you treat others and live your life.

I would love to see more African-Americans in baseball. But Sheffield's theories aren't the reason why there are so few African-American ballplayers nowadays. It's because baseball isn't as popular as it was several decades ago, and the best athletes choose other sports. That's especially true in the inner cities, where most athletes are playing football and basketball, not baseball.

I think the Major Leagues can do a lot of things to reverse the trend. Youth programs aimed at inner cities would a good start. But to suggest that a lack of respect is the reason for the decline in the number of African-American payers -- that's just laughable.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

Act like a man, and you will be treated like a man. There is no secret formula.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

BvK, I agree with everything you said but I just wanted to point out one thing. Elite athletes do not choose other sports over baseball. Its usually the other way around. Alot of baseball players aren't elite athletes because skill is more important than athleticism. Thats why Roger Clemens and Ichiro are better at baseball than Lebron James could ever be.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    BvK, I agree with everything you said but I just wanted to point out one thing. Elite athletes do not choose other sports over baseball. Its usually the other way around. Alot of baseball players aren't elite athletes because skill is more important than athleticism. Thats why Roger Clemens and Ichiro are better at baseball than Lebron James could ever be.
    I definitely agree that baseball takes a tremendous amount of skill to master. Much more so than the other major sports. That said, the combination of skill AND athleticism is what makes for the best baseball players. I still think that the rising popularity of the NFL and basketball has been a significant factor in the declining numbers of African-Americans participating in baseball.

Back in the '50s and '60s (and through the first half of the '70s), baseball players made more money than the athletes in other sports (although, of course, nowhere near what pro athletes make today). This was because baseball, as a business enterprise, made a lot more money than the NFL and the NBA did in that era. Consequently, most of the best athletes gravitated toward baseball because of the higher paycheck it offered. Look at some of the best African-American athletes in previous eras. Jackie Robinson was a star football player and track athlete at UCLA. Bob Gibson was a phenomenal basketball player at Creighton. Dave Winfield was a three-sport star at Minnesota. They all could have played any professional sport they wanted, but they all chose baseball.

Nowadays, many of the best multi-sport athletes at the high school level don't play baseball, or do so as a diversion during football or basketball's off-season. Because they don't concentrate on baseball, they don't develop the crucial skills and fundamentals necessary to succeed at the highest levels of baseball. I think that's why Michael Jordan never could make it as a baseball player -- or Drew Henson, for that matter. Both were good athletes, but they were too far behind their baseball-playing peers in terms of skill-level because they spent too much time in other sports to put in the time necessary to develop the skills necessary for a Major League career.

Additionally, today's athletes can make a lot more money, more quickly, by playing sports other than baseball. A player drafted right out of high school by the Major Leagues will get a nice signing bonus, but nowhere near the kind of contract that an NFL or NBA draft pick will receive. The baseball player will then likely languish in the minor leagues for a few years at a modest salary before getting his chance in the Majors. It isn't until he's produced a season or two of solid Major League stats before he'll be able to sign a contract anywhere close to what the top players in football and basketball are making. By that time, his basketball- and football-playing contemporaries will have had the chance to sign lucrative contract extensions or make even more money in free agency.

To make my point even longer (), I do think baseball players are more skilled, and that's why most athletes who attempt the crossover don't succeed. But I do think that if the nation's top athletes all focused on baseball from an early age, athletes like Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Michael Vick, etc. could have been exceptional baseball players.