Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

2007-08 College Football Preview Magazines

I always like to check these out every June, not to see how they rank ISU, but to see what they think of the upcoming season for all 119 (120 now, I guess.) 1-A teams. There are a lot of discrepancies between publications, such as the wide range of rankings for Arkansas, ranking them from anywhere between #13 to unranked.

In terms of ISU, the one thing I noticed was the clear cut consensus across the board that ISU will finish last in the Big 12 North, and possibly the entire Big 12. Athlon, Phil Steele, Lindy's... it didn't matter.

Now, I'm skeptical of patterns as the next guy, but this feels a lot like the previews for the 2004-05 season, where, after a disastrous 2003 season, ISU was picked to be last in the North after a few promising years that many thought would some day lead to the "next level".

However, the team proved everyone wrong and pulled the 2nd largest turnaround in games won to games lost between 03-04 to 04-05, going from a 2-10 season to a successful 7-5 season.

Granted, this was mostly due to a weaker Big 12 North. At the time ISU was 2-3 in conference play, and was playing a 3-2 Nebraska for the opportunity to grab the lead in the North. That situation will likely never surface again.

However, the difference between 2-10 is 4-8 is still significant enough to assume that last year's team would have still been able to beat the snot out of the 2003 team (no disrespect intended). With an improved Big 12 north, and the 2nd year of ISU's unforunate selection of South teams to play (Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech), the advantage that this year's team has is about the same when compared to the 2004 team.

There's no reason this team couldn't go 6-6 or 7-5 this year. I've got a spreadsheet I've created for this year's Big 12 teams and schedules that I'll post later, but I'll have to see if ISU could be last in the Big 12 despite a solid final record.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 305

Re: 2007-08 College Football Preview Magazines

They must think Colorado really has enough oline people finally, Kansas will have a running back, KState did not need all those coaches from last year or their qb, Nebraska does not need Mo Purify and Sam Keller is an All American, and Missouri finally has a defense, and Clones did not try hard in the off season. Maybe, but prtobbaly not. I would be shocked if we ended up last. If that happeneed, our recrutiting would be very difficult next year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 0

Now, I'm skeptical of patterns as the next guy, but this feels a lot like the previews for the 2004-05 season, where, after a disastrous 2003 season, ISU was picked to be last in the North after a few promising years that many thought would some day lead to the "next level".

However, the team proved everyone wrong and pulled the 2nd largest turnaround in games won to games lost between 03-04 to 04-05, going from a 2-10 season to a successful 7-5 season.
    Two big differences between the two seasons in my opinion - we play UT and OU next season, we didn't in 2004 - we got healthy in 2004 when we had really bad injuries to key players. We have arguably less talent returning next year than we did this year and we are relying heavily on JUCO's. If I had to pick where we would end up next season... I'd say bottom two in the Big 12 probably as well. I don't blame the magazines, it's a safe pick.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

Don't forget that last year everyone picked us to battle Nebraska for the big 12 north and some even had us playing in the big 12 championship game. We all know how that went. Those magazines are nothing but blind guesses past a few teams (the ones who are good EVERY year), but that's what makes this upcoming season so intriguing - we could be dead last and we could be in the hunt for a trip to the championship game. only time will tell and those magazines are all bias anyhow.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Our offensive line is going to be an absolute frickin' mess. Of COURSE everyone is picking us to be last. If all our fans expect Chizik to pull a miracle in his first year or two, well, that's going to make it very hard for him.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic_clone View Post
    Our offensive line is going to be an absolute frickin' mess.
    Now that, I believe is a very accurate statement. Just not too eloquent.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

I don't expect miracles....but i wouldn't be surprised if they win a game they shouldn't - because of the new staff.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

While I don't like to put much stock in these magazines, I do believe the give a little barometer to the state of the program, that being the third party expectations. And the Lindy's that I saw had us 90th, which led me to question when we last opened the season that low? Would you have to go all the way back to the first couple DMac years?

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 167

What did the magazines have to say about our potential new Chaplin? Did they cite this as a reason we'd fail?