529 Plan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 529 Plan?

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 47,634, Level: 67
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    ISU_Alum_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,954
    Points
    47,634
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    529 Plan?

    Have any of you looked in to setting up a 529? I'm just starting my research, and I am sifting through which criteria I think will be most important. For example... most funds appear to have fees attached by the co. managing the fund. Obviously, nobody likes fees, but what are the trade-offs with funds with little/no fees?

    I'm sure that each of us may have different reasons for selecting different plans, but I was curious if anyone had any "lessons learned" or advice on keys things to watch out for.

    tiy



  2. #2
    Recruit
    Points: 5,758, Level: 22
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    102
    Points
    5,758
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Hmmm. Not much for advice, except the regular stuff. Consider how far from college your child(ren) are. They usually qualify for a state income tax deduction, assuming your state allows it. Also, be sure you're kids are going to college. If he decides to be an electrician, for instance, the fund won't be that useful. Withdrawals for other-than-education reasons are generally subject to a 10% penalty, plus withholding.

    My fees are pretty small - smaller than my mutual fund, in fact. 529s are the way to go for college savings, as far as I'm concerned. Hope that helps a little.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 387,692, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,013
    Points
    387,692
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

    Re: 529 Plan?

    I opened a 529 for each of my kids. Even if they dont go to college, their kids can use it instead. Its not a bad deal really.



  4. #4
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    I have 529s set up for my three nieces, nephew and baby X. All through CollegeSavingsIowa. There are no explicit fees, but I'm sure Vanguard is getting a cut off the top. And in Iowa you can deduct the contributions on state taxes.

    What's nice is that you can xfer funds between family members. So when it became obvious that our nephew wouldn't be attending college, and it became necessary to "remove" those funds - we were able to split them between his sisters with no trouble.

    Another thing to look at is UPromise. Earn money through various companies (groceries, restauarants). Completely free. And when you hit certain thresholds of earnings, they automatically transfer it into your 529 account. Dell computers is another, and when I last refi'd my mortgage, Country wise donated something like 2% which was just shy of $200 free cash.

    Edit: Just realized your in CA. I imagine they have a state sponsored plan though.



  5. #5
    Recruit
    Points: 7,526, Level: 25
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    108
    Points
    7,526
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    This is what I used. I believe it's through Vanguard so low fees.

    https://collegesavingsiowa.s.upromise.com/



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 6,324, Level: 23
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Points
    6,324
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    I have 2 kids in college currently and a 3rd one scheduled to start in a year. I have a 529 plan I purchased many years ago but the returns have not been much to talk about, but of course they are tied to the stock market, which has underpreformed since I purchased the 529. Another option I would recommend you consider is prepayed tuition if that is available in Iowa. I reside in Illinois which has a College Illinois program. I purchased 4 years of tuition for each of my children about 6-8 years ago. It averages the tuition of all the state schools and you pay that average. Then when the go to college, they can select any one of the state schools and tuition is covered. If they go somebody else, you get the current average to be used at whatever school they select.
    Given the we can be pretty sure that tuition is going to to up every year but the stock market may not, it seems liked a better bet at the time for me and my family. For me, I paid about $25K for 4 years of tuition for each kid, and now the state is paying over $12 a year to University of Illinois for my daughter and $15K for my son to attend. Been a great investment for me. And no taxes on the growth of the value.
    They have changed the program some (mabye because guys like me got too good a deal), but at least worth seeing of an option like that exists in your respective state.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 17,830, Level: 40
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    627
    Points
    17,830
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Vanguard actually has some really nice funds. If you have a sec you should check them out just for general saving.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 110,779, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,255
    Points
    110,779
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 388

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post
    Have any of you looked in to setting up a 529? I'm just starting my research, and I am sifting through which criteria I think will be most important. For example... most funds appear to have fees attached by the co. managing the fund. Obviously, nobody likes fees, but what are the trade-offs with funds with little/no fees?

    I'm sure that each of us may have different reasons for selecting different plans, but I was curious if anyone had any "lessons learned" or advice on keys things to watch out for.

    tiy
    529's are a good idea, but I'm sort of bitter about the whole college savings issue. People who are responsible, like you, and save for their children's education are penalized when the time for college arrives. Your children will get no financial assistance because you were responsible and saved for their college education(s).

    People who are irresponsible and save nothing often end up getting rewarded with free or reduced tuition for their children.

    I was discussing this with my wife the other day. Our house will be paid off the same year our first child is ready for college. (She's 9 years old and already wants to major in Vet Med at ISU.) We've decided NOT to save specifically for college because we will have money we were previously paying on our house available around that time.

    But, to each his or her own.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 73,952, Level: 84
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,211
    Points
    73,952
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    529's are a good idea, but I'm sort of bitter about the whole college savings issue. People who are responsible, like you, and save for their children's education are penalized when the time for college arrives. Your children will get no financial assistance because you were responsible and saved for their college education(s).

    People who are irresponsible and save nothing often end up getting rewarded with free or reduced tuition for their children.

    I was discussing this with my wife the other day. Our house will be paid off the same year our first child is ready for college. (She's 9 years old and already wants to major in Vet Med at ISU.) We've decided NOT to save specifically for college because we will have money we were previously paying on our house available around that time.

    But, to each his or her own.
    It is not just the people that save for college that are punished, it is another child whos parents are somewhat successful, it doesn't matter if they have the ability to pay for the college education. They won't get assistance in the form of low interest loans or grants etc.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 261,169, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,867
    Points
    261,169
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    So much of it is based on parent's income - which is absolutely ridiculous as my parents made pretty good money but were only a few years from retirement so they weren't helping me much.




  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 92,321, Level: 94
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 829
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,536
    Points
    92,321
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 198

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I have 529s set up for my three nieces, nephew and baby X. All through CollegeSavingsIowa. There are no explicit fees, but I'm sure Vanguard is getting a cut off the top. And in Iowa you can deduct the contributions on state taxes.

    What's nice is that you can xfer funds between family members. So when it became obvious that our nephew wouldn't be attending college, and it became necessary to "remove" those funds - we were able to split them between his sisters with no trouble.

    Another thing to look at is UPromise. Earn money through various companies (groceries, restauarants). Completely free. And when you hit certain thresholds of earnings, they automatically transfer it into your 529 account. Dell computers is another, and when I last refi'd my mortgage, Country wise donated something like 2% which was just shy of $200 free cash.

    Edit: Just realized your in CA. I imagine they have a state sponsored plan though.
    Depending on the state, a person doesn't necessarily have to use their state of residence 529 plan. You'll need to check to see what CA allows. Iowa's is often recognized as a great plan as it offers low cost Vanguard.


    CCG

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 87,438, Level: 91
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,147
    Points
    87,438
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 68

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    529's are a good idea, but I'm sort of bitter about the whole college savings issue. People who are responsible, like you, and save for their children's education are penalized when the time for college arrives. Your children will get no financial assistance because you were responsible and saved for their college education(s).

    People who are irresponsible and save nothing often end up getting rewarded with free or reduced tuition for their children.

    I was discussing this with my wife the other day. Our house will be paid off the same year our first child is ready for college. (She's 9 years old and already wants to major in Vet Med at ISU.) We've decided NOT to save specifically for college because we will have money we were previously paying on our house available around that time.

    But, to each his or her own.
    I agree, but that's not going to help your kids out. I view it as a forgone conclusion that my kids won't qualify because we have too many assets.

    I started contributing to the Iowa 529 as soon as each one of my kids were born. $190/month and it's starting to dollar up nicely. Returns have not been great, but what has in the last few years?

    Be proactive and not reactive and you'll be much happier in the end.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 62,411, Level: 77
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigLame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western IA
    Posts
    2,825
    Points
    62,411
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 246

    Re: 529 Plan?

    You do not have to put it in the stock market. Pick something conservative, earn 2-4 percent, but then add in the fact (here in Iowa) you get a deduction from state income taxes, and your return becomes more like 10 percent.

    After the last 10 years of the stock market, I'll take that. I did this 11 years ago (picked the conservative route), and am very glad I did.

    However, many good points are being made in this post. Anything in your child's name (> 2K) gets counted against them. The assets that do not are your home, retirement accounts (including life insurance with CSV), one vehicle - others?

    Also keep in mind one can borrow for their education, but you cannot borrow for your retirement.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 92,321, Level: 94
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 829
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,536
    Points
    92,321
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 198

    Re: 529 Plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLame View Post

    Also keep in mind one can borrow for their education, but you cannot borrow for your retirement.
    This.


    CCG

  15. #15
    Recruit
    Points: 5,751, Level: 22
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Cato2handjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    79
    Points
    5,751
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 529 Plan?

    I've opened up a 529 specifically for the financial gifts that my child recieves from grandparents and relatives. I felt it was a good place to store these and allow them to grow. In Missouri if you open a 529 in child A's name and then Child A doesn't use all or any of the funds, you can transfer those funds to child B. I liked this option.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM