Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 61,903, Level: 77
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,684
    Points
    61,903
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 230

    Moving to Ankeny

    My family will be moving to Ankeny as soon as our house sells (see sig). I will still be working in Marshalltown and would personally prefer to be on the east side for easier access to Hwy 330. Lots of the houses we're finding are more on the west side, so I'd have to drive (presumably) 15 minutes across town before I could jump on the highwy. Are there any "bad" areas in Ankeny? I assume this is a stupid question and the answer is no, but figured I'd ask since so many here are in the metro area.

    Yes I have considered moving to Marshalltown, but only for about 17 seconds. More opportunities for my daughters in Ankeny, and as it stands we drive down to DSM a couple times a month anyway. I already live about 25 minutes NE of Marshalltown, so the increase in commute will not be that much longer than what I'm doing now.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  2. #2
    Prospect
    Points: 3,393, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    23
    Points
    3,393
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    My family will be moving to Ankeny as soon as our house sells (see sig). I will still be working in Marshalltown and would personally prefer to be on the east side for easier access to Hwy 330. Lots of the houses we're finding are more on the west side, so I'd have to drive (presumably) 15 minutes across town before I could jump on the highwy. Are there any "bad" areas in Ankeny? I assume this is a stupid question and the answer is no, but figured I'd ask since so many here are in the metro area.

    Yes I have considered moving to Marshalltown, but only for about 17 seconds. More opportunities for my daughters in Ankeny, and as it stands we drive down to DSM a couple times a month anyway. I already live about 25 minutes NE of Marshalltown, so the increase in commute will not be that much longer than what I'm doing now.
    There are no bad areas in Ankeny. There are a ton of new homes for sale on the NE side by Otter Creek. Great schools and community to raise a family.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 186,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,440
    Points
    186,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 414

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Im from Gladbrook as well. We have 6 houses on our block for sale on the North side of Ankeny.

    47 minutes to Marshalltown

    Just over an hour to Gtown.

    There are some people that work in Mtown in our neighborhood area.


    Last edited by ajk4st8; 07-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,866, Level: 32
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Jnecker4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    293
    Points
    11,866
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    My family will be moving to Ankeny as soon as our house sells (see sig). I will still be working in Marshalltown and would personally prefer to be on the east side for easier access to Hwy 330. Lots of the houses we're finding are more on the west side, so I'd have to drive (presumably) 15 minutes across town before I could jump on the highwy. Are there any "bad" areas in Ankeny? I assume this is a stupid question and the answer is no, but figured I'd ask since so many here are in the metro area.

    Yes I have considered moving to Marshalltown, but only for about 17 seconds. More opportunities for my daughters in Ankeny, and as it stands we drive down to DSM a couple times a month anyway. I already live about 25 minutes NE of Marshalltown, so the increase in commute will not be that much longer than what I'm doing now.
    How old are your girls, remember Ankeny will be a two high school system in the near future, so where you move will make a difference in which High School they go to.


    Many Years Of Cyclone Logos


  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 61,903, Level: 77
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,684
    Points
    61,903
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 230

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Right now my oldest daughter is 4-1/2. We will be homeschooling for the forseeable future. That's another bonus for Ankeny - a good homeschool network right in Ankeny and also in DSM. Plus we'd be right in the neighborhood for trips to the zoo, Science Center and Living History Farms.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 61,903, Level: 77
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,684
    Points
    61,903
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 230

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Im from Gladbrook as well. We have 6 houses on our block for sale on the North side of Ankeny.

    47 minutes to Marshalltown

    Just over an hour to Gtown.

    There are some people that work in Mtown in our neighborhood area.
    I wouldn't be surprised if I worked with a few of them - there are only a couple companies in Marshalltown that are worth a significant commute in my opinion. In fact, a significant portion of the people that work here live outside Marshalltown - Ames, Ankeny, Grundy Center, Albion, Gladbrook, Nevada, State Center... I knew one guy who commuted from Cedar Rapids every morning


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 8,675, Level: 27
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Sterling4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    194
    Points
    8,675
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    I live in the "Southwest" side of Ankeny, just south of DMAAC. Lots of Developments in the area. Quick access to the interstates.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 43,123, Level: 64
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,127
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,427
    Points
    43,123
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 42

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
    There are no bad areas in Ankeny. There are a ton of new homes for sale on the NE side by Otter Creek. Great schools and community to raise a family.
    We just moved to the NE side, right off of Delaware (by Otter). I can go north on Delaware and get on I-35 at the Elkhart exit and be at highway 30 in less than 15 minutes. They are building lots of new houses in this area.


    I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

  9. #9
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 244,127, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,417
    Points
    244,127
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 814
    Given: 796

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    There is a neighborhood on the east side of I-35 near the 1st street exit that is building houses. It's about 35-40 minutes from Marshalltown from that point.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 32,778, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    4VR4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    3,468
    Points
    32,778
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling4Cy View Post
    I live in the "Southwest" side of Ankeny, just south of DMAAC. Lots of Developments in the area. Quick access to the interstates.
    We live on the SW side just south of DMACC as well. We are between 14th St and 2nd Ave. (or State St. and Ankeny Blvd - but they aren't called that until Oralabor, I think). I used to work at ISU in Ames and it took me under 5 minutes to get to the interstate. I'd take NE 70th to Delaware and it was almost 0 traffic the entire way to the interstate.

    We live in the Wildflower development, and there are a few homes for sale, not a lot. There are kids that are around your daughters age and also our old neighbors used to home school. I think there might be 1-2 other families that are going to when their kids are old enough too.


    Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 208,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,631
    Points
    208,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 479

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    I agree with being close to the interstate. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you move somewhere where you're not close.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 17,627, Level: 40
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    675
    Points
    17,627
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    I like the NE side too, especially if you are commuting to Marshaltown. There is a pretty large variety of homes in that area, depending on your price range. There are a lot of lots available too if you want to build.

    Also, it should be noted that there will be a new I-35 exit being built at NE 36th. The last I heard it was going to start this fall and be done next fall.


    Last edited by JD720; 07-20-2010 at 08:21 AM.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 277,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,949
    Points
    277,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling4Cy View Post
    I live in the "Southwest" side of Ankeny, just south of DMAAC. Lots of Developments in the area. Quick access to the interstates.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    We live on the SW side just south of DMACC as well. We are between 14th St and 2nd Ave. (or State St. and Ankeny Blvd - but they aren't called that until Oralabor, I think). I used to work at ISU in Ames and it took me under 5 minutes to get to the interstate. I'd take NE 70th to Delaware and it was almost 0 traffic the entire way to the interstate.

    We live in the Wildflower development, and there are a few homes for sale, not a lot. There are kids that are around your daughters age and also our old neighbors used to home school. I think there might be 1-2 other families that are going to when their kids are old enough too.
    I also live on the SW side just south of DMACC! Unfortunately I have nothing to add to this thread...



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I also live on the SW side just south of DMACC! Unfortunately I have nothing to add to CF
    Fixed for you.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 208,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,631
    Points
    208,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 479

    Re: Moving to Ankeny

    I heard you can buy a townhome in Ankeny for like $500. You may want to look into one of those.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM