Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why do we like ISU football?

Why do we as ISU fans love our Cyclones? Does it fill some sort of inferiority complex? Is there something missing from our lives that drives us to talk ISU football 365/7? What is it about the sport of football that we love?

I really am unable to put my finger on it. Especially after reading through some of the recent threads. It seems that anyone who dares think boldly that we may at some point in time in the future compete on a higher level, is automatically dismissed as some luney. If there is no hope for the future or betterment of our team why even go? Are we all just a bunch of closet alcoholics who just need a reason to drink? I think we can all agree ISU football does nothing to make us want to stop drinking.

The short time I have spent on this board has been pretty fun, but for the most part it is disheartening to see the ongoing pessimism. The constant fight for relevance is almost to much to bear. What happened with the B12 only drives the stake deeper into my cardinal colored heart. Maybe blind pessimism is what makes the Cyclone world go round.

PUT TILLER IN!!!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Re: Why do we like ISU football?

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneNC2015 View Post
    Are we all just a bunch of closet alcoholics who just need a reason to drink?
    You might be onto something here....

But seriously, some people need to see the difference between doom and gloom and reality.

Legend
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 1,192

It seems that anyone who dares think boldly that we may at some point in time in the future compete on a higher level, is automatically dismissed as some luney.
    I am, but I prefer the classic spelling: Loony.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Thumbs Up

Why do we as ISU fans love our Cyclones? Does it fill some sort of inferiority complex? Is there something missing from our lives that drives us to talk ISU football 365/7? What is it about the sport of football that we love?

I really am unable to put my finger on it. Especially after reading through some of the recent threads. It seems that anyone who dares think boldly that we may at some point in time in the future compete on a higher level, is automatically dismissed as some luney. If there is no hope for the future or betterment of our team why even go? Are we all just a bunch of closet alcoholics who just need a reason to drink? I think we can all agree ISU football does nothing to make us want to stop drinking.

The short time I have spent on this board has been pretty fun, but for the most part it is disheartening to see the ongoing pessimism. The constant fight for relevance is almost to much to bear. What happened with the B12 only drives the stake deeper into my cardinal colored heart. Maybe blind pessimism is what makes the Cyclone world go round.
    A few years ago, McCarney was fired because Cyclone fans wanted to go to the next level. Now, anytime someone discusses that next level, they are called a homer and told they should be happy with mediocrity.

CPR: Resuscitating ISU Football, one win at a time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 57

You are 100% correct. The same guys on this board who are constantly downplaying ISU football are the same guys that go to the first game, then hit up maybe one game after that, but in November are no where to be found, but on this site going off about the team in the ****Official game thread**** when they should have their *** at the game, helping pay for everything they want done. Hate to say it but 30% of Cyclone fans suck at being Cyclone fans.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 569

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    You are 100% correct. The same guys on this board who are constantly downplaying ISU football are the same guys that go to the first game, then hit up maybe one game after that, but in November are no where to be found, but on this site going off about the team in the ****Official game thread**** when they should have their *** at the game, helping pay for everything they want done. Hate to say it but 30% of Cyclone fans suck at being Cyclone fans.
    You might be shooting to low on that one.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CPRsavedMYlife View Post
    A few years ago, McCarney was fired because Cyclone fans wanted to go to the next level. Now, anytime someone discusses that next level, they are called a homer and told they should be happy with mediocrity.
    So true. Maybe its the constant kicks to the scrotum that is driving the pessimism. But that begs the question, why come back? and if you come back why come back only to be a pessimist and expect mediocrity?

PUT TILLER IN!!!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, I am a Cyclone football fan because I attended and graduated from Iowa State University.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by CPRsavedMYlife View Post
    I guarantee I'm not the only person here who would be thrilled if we were a .500 program each year and occasionally had the 9-3 year. Iowa State football over the long haul has not been a good program. I would welcome mediocrity with arms wide open.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    Well, I am a Cyclone football fan because I attended and graduated from Iowa State University.
    Same here.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    If this is the case, why be a cyclone fan? Are we a bunch of masochinists (sp?). If you are only going to half *** it why not jump on a good bandwagon?

I think I am going to attempt this new found version of ISU fandome. The half-asser, with no real clear cut goals. I certainly wouldnt want to set myself up for failure and if I dont set any goals I cant fail. I like it already.

PUT TILLER IN!!!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    Yup.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

If this is the case, why be a cyclone fan? Are we a bunch of masochinists (sp?). If you are only going to half *** it why not jump on a good bandwagon?

I think I am going to attempt this new found version of ISU fandome. The half-asser, with no real clear cut goals. I certainly wouldnt want to set myself up for failure and if I dont set any goals I cant fail. I like it already.
    So I as a fan am supposed to set goals for the football team I cheer for. I can't control the meeting of those goals in anyway. What happens when they don't meet my goals? Do I then find a team that can meet my goals? That sounds like a bandwagon fan to me.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I guarantee I'm not the only person here who would be thrilled if we were a .500 program each year and occasionally had the 9-3 year. Iowa State football over the long haul has not been a good program. I would welcome mediocrity with arms wide open.
    Could not agree with this more. I want to eventually improve from mediocrity, but I'm not unrealistic to believe that it will just happen overnight, even with a coach like CPR at the helm. What's worse, is the same people with the unreasonable expectations today are going to be the same people 5 months from now that demand CPR be held accountable for not meeting their unrealistic expectations.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.