Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Passport Fee

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 83,434, Level: 89
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,008
    Points
    83,434
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

    Passport Fee

    My wife and my passport both expired last year, so we're in the process of renewing. I had my stuff ready to go in April to get sent in, but was waiting for my wife to get her application and photo done. Finally got it done this week and was checking the State Department web site for some information and found out they had raised their application fee from $75 to $110 effective July 13th.

    Saw no mention of a coming fee increase on the Deparment web site when I was researching this last spring. It was a pretty darn good weekend until tonight.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,002, Level: 22
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    fnclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    255
    Points
    6,002
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    My wife and my passport both expired last year, so we're in the process of renewing. I had my stuff ready to go in April to get sent in, but was waiting for my wife to get her application and photo done. Finally got it done this week and was checking the State Department web site for some information and found out they had raised their application fee from $75 to $110 effective July 13th.

    Saw no mention of a coming fee increase on the Deparment web site when I was researching this last spring. It was a pretty darn good weekend until tonight.
    I renewed mine right before they changed it. I didn't know anything about it until I heard it on the news in Omaha. It is pretty ridiculous. Also I renewed my Drivers License and they give you a stupid piece of paper and mail a license. You are unable to renew your passport with the paper license.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 100,677, Level: 98
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,142
    Points
    100,677
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 7

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    My wife and my passport both expired last year, so we're in the process of renewing. I had my stuff ready to go in April to get sent in, but was waiting for my wife to get her application and photo done. Finally got it done this week and was checking the State Department web site for some information and found out they had raised their application fee from $75 to $110 effective July 13th.

    Saw no mention of a coming fee increase on the Deparment web site when I was researching this last spring. It was a pretty darn good weekend until tonight.
    nah, still a good weekend.


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  4. #4
    Recruit
    Points: 6,709, Level: 24
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    caustic217's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Cyclone State
    Posts
    87
    Points
    6,709
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    My wife and my passport both expired last year, so we're in the process of renewing. I had my stuff ready to go in April to get sent in, but was waiting for my wife to get her application and photo done. Finally got it done this week and was checking the State Department web site for some information and found out they had raised their application fee from $75 to $110 effective July 13th.

    Saw no mention of a coming fee increase on the Deparment web site when I was researching this last spring. It was a pretty darn good weekend until tonight.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife, Bobber.


    Last edited by caustic217; 07-28-2010 at 08:42 PM.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 22,763, Level: 46
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,124
    Points
    22,763
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by fnclone View Post
    I renewed mine right before they changed it. I didn't know anything about it until I heard it on the news in Omaha. It is pretty ridiculous. Also I renewed my Drivers License and they give you a stupid piece of paper and mail a license. You are unable to renew your passport with the paper license.
    ya i got my new license the day after they switched to the new ones. the new ones suck and are incredibly flimsy. and since when did sending stuff like DLs and passports through the mail sound like a good idea



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 9,441, Level: 29
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    stvfarmboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    382
    Points
    9,441
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    ya i got my new license the day after they switched to the new ones. the new ones suck and are incredibly flimsy. and since when did sending stuff like DLs and passports through the mail sound like a good idea
    Documents such as credit cards, debit cards, and other official documents are already sent through the mail so I don't see any difference in doing drivers licenses that way. Plus, several other states have been doing it that way for years without any troubles.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 204,266, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,362
    Points
    204,266
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 1

    Re: Passport Fee

    A Passport is still good for 10 years, isn't it? I plan on drinking one less beer in a bar each year to pay for the difference.



  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,002, Level: 22
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    fnclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    255
    Points
    6,002
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by stvfarmboy View Post
    Documents such as credit cards, debit cards, and other official documents are already sent through the mail so I don't see any difference in doing drivers licenses that way. Plus, several other states have been doing it that way for years without any troubles.
    When I go to the DMV and wait in line for an hour I expect to have a DL printed and given to me on the spot. I seems like it would take more man power and more money to hand out paper ID's and have the real ones sent in the mail. Also, if you were to travel out of state you may get laughed at if you get pulled over.

    If you could direct me to the line to directly pick up my credit card it would be much appreciated.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 37,689, Level: 59
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,093
    Points
    37,689
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by stvfarmboy View Post
    Plus, several other states have been doing it that way for years without any troubles.
    Minnesota does it and I think it sucks. Having to drag that paper with you to bars and resturants when you want to order a drink is crazy. I am sure that is some good reason behind it, but when you are use to getting the new liscense right away having to wait is annoying.


    Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,282, Level: 70
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,514
    Points
    51,282
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 31

    Re: Passport Fee

    Had it on the local news like on Thursday, not much warning.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,281, Level: 81
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,132
    Points
    69,281
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 347

    Re: Passport Fee

    I got my passport back in April and the lady at the Post Office told me I had good timing since the fees were going up in July.



  12. #12
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Crap - I need mine renewed as well.

    Downloaded the form from the State Dept website last month and not a peep there about fees going up.

    Shouldn't have waited.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,013, Level: 63
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,650
    Points
    42,013
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    A Passport is still good for 10 years, isn't it? I plan on drinking one less beer in a bar each year to pay for the difference.
    Too bad that the price of your beer isn't also jumping up by 47% - you wouldn't have to miss out on as much beer to try to justify the hike in a government service.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 204,266, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,362
    Points
    204,266
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 1

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Too bad that the price of your beer isn't also jumping up by 47% - you wouldn't have to miss out on as much beer to try to justify the hike in a government service.
    Beer is cheap in Mexico. So even with the additional $35 cost over 10 years, it is still cheap.

    I remember the complaints from everyone when season ticket prices for football were increased. Saying that it was a big percentage jump. Someone said that perhaps the football tickets were underpriced previously. Maybe the price of a passport was too cheap before.

    And besides, maybe we need the increase in fees to pay for the extra security for our borders.



  15. #15
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Passport Fee

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Beer is cheap in Mexico. So even with the additional $35 cost over 10 years, it is still cheap.

    I remember the complaints from everyone when season ticket prices for football were increased. Saying that it was a big percentage jump. Someone said that perhaps the football tickets were underpriced previously. Maybe the price of a passport was too cheap before.

    And besides, maybe we need the increase in fees to pay for the extra security for our borders.
    I don't think you can take what amounts to a government program/process/item.... and apply the phrase "was too cheap before" to it.....



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM