Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 4

Electrical question

We've got a ceiling fan that's giving us some trouble. Or more accurately, the lights on the ceiling fan. The light kit looks like the one in this photo and includes three chandelier-style incandescent bulbs.

For a couple of years now, two of the lights have been on the fritz. They won't stay on consistently no matter what you do. You can tap them or twist them in or out and they will come back on, and even stay on for the next few times you turn the light on, but they always go back out until the next time you mess with them. The issue isn't the light bulbs themselves because I've replaced the bulbs with new ones and also tried swapping them out with an identical fan and light kit elsewhere in our house.

One person told me I should just replace the light kit, but before I commit to doing that I was wondering if anyone had anything else I should try. I'd hate to do that only to find out that wasn't the problem. The ceiling fan itself works fine, the problem is only with the lights.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220963646__248x248__.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	7632  

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Electrical question

You most likely have a problem inside the fan set. Your best bet would be to replace it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 116

Go to Menard's, Home Depot, Lowe's or your store of choice and buy a replacement. They are cheap and easy to replace/install. When the lights act like that it can be a pain in the arse to figure out.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 497

My guess would be to replace the light kits. Since the fan seems to be working perfectly fine, it is not a problem with house wiring or the initial connection between the house and fan. A possibility could be that the wiring inside the fan to the lights may not be 100% tight, and the vibration of the fan running could be causing some problems with the connection. One way to check this would be to get the lights working, and continue to leave them on without the fan running. The other possibility is that the socket for the lights is now bad, which would be fixed by changing the light kits.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 656
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 89

light sockets on these fan kits are very cheaply made and sometimes the contacts at the base are broken or the bulbs do not screw in properly. Also, if you have had the problem for several years it could be that the base contact on the socket is cabonized from electricity arcing accross a gap between the bulb base and the seat it is suppose to contact with. Take the bulbs that are not working and examine the place where base of the bulb is to contact. If it is black you might be able to clean it up with a small piece of emery paper or a grinding sone on a drill. If it isn't scorched or broken the problem could be in the switch or the wires from the switch to the bulbs. As stated above, these kits are usually not that expensive, and it might be easier to replace it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

I would open it up first before going out and buying a new light kit. You may just simply have a loose wire inside the unit.

When you open it up, you'll see the set of wires for the fan and the light kit. If both the fan and lights are operated with one switch, you should see that the wires are all connected together to the hot and neutral house wires. (Disclaimer: Shut off the circuit breaker to the ceiling fan before doing any of this) If you have two switches that operate the fan and lights independently they will not be wired together. I would simply check to see if the wires are all still twisted together tightly in the wire nuts. Sometimes they can come loose. If they are all tight, then I would go forward with getting a new light kit and installing it.

Prospect
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Smile Re: Electrical question

When you are inspecting the sockets, check to see if the rivets are loose that hold the metal inside the socket. If they wobble even a little bit, that is your problem. You can get replacement sockets from Lowe's or Menards, but it is usually much less hassle to buy a new light kit, esp if you aren't into electrical, which I assume you aren't.