Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Unhappy Zambrano and Barrett fight

ESPN - Zambrano shoves Barrett

This can't be good... This team has talent it's just not coming together very well so far this year. They used to be hard luck losers in close games, now they can't even keep the games close lately. Could be a shakeup coming soon if they don't turn it around because they didn't spend all that money this past offseason to finish below .500 again...

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Zambrano and Barrett fight

And Zambrano continues his quest for the Cy Young he promised everyone. Go BRAVES!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Ahh, the obligitory Cubs post. Nothing like the Brew crew going 3-7 over their last 10 and the Cubs still being 5.5 back. What did I tell you guys weeks ago, it's never too early to write off the cubs.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Ahh, the obligitory Cubs post. Nothing like the Brew crew going 3-7 over their last 10 and the Cubs still being 5.5 back. What did I tell you guys weeks ago, it's never too early to write off the cubs.
    Aren't you a Royals fan? Funny.

This team has finally imploded. Hopefully they will rally behind it but I have my doubts. It'll be interesting to see how Pinella handles this.

Barrett has sucked this year. Zambrano has sucked this year. It's possible neither will be back in Cubbie blue next year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post

This team has finally imploded. Hopefully they will rally behind it but I have my doubts. It'll be interesting to see how Pinella handles this.

Barrett has sucked this year. Zambrano has sucked this year. It's possible neither will be back in Cubbie blue next year.
    I wouldnt say Barrett has sucked this year, he is a little down from his norm, but in no way has "sucked". Zambrono on the other hand has pretty much sucked.

Also, I would be willing to bet the farm they will both be back next year.

As for the fight, this really shouldnt surpirse anyone, Zambrono is a very emotional man, and for once did not show it on the field when he had that horrid inning. I dont know what was said before the scuffle, but it obvious that their is alot of frustration with Zambrono and the rest of the Cubs right now. I wouldnt put too much into it, they have probably already made up and are having drinks together as we speak!

Last edited by chuckd4735; 06-01-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I wouldnt say Barrett has sucked this year, he is a little down from his norm, but in no way has "sucked". Zambrono on the other hand has pretty much sucked.
    Barrett is a passed ball and error machine. He isn't hitting for average either. Zambrano is actually hitting 6 points higher.

Last edited by Incyte; 06-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Incidents like that will either get a team going or tear them apart. I've got my money on an implosion.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The best thing to do to solve the OF problems is finally trade Jones away and bring up Pie for CF then Murton and Floyd can handle RF based on who is pitching. Jones might even get you a decent reliever which is something the Cubs need bad as the bullpen has been terrible lately. Wuertz and Marmol are about the only 2 guys you can trust right now and even Dumpster has been decent minus his 1 blown save.

The starting pitching outside of Zambrano has been pretty good. The worst ERA after Z is Lilly's 3.52. Hill is 3.06, Marquis 2.93 and Marshall 2.70 in 2 good starts that has got him a 0-2 record with no run support. Cubs relievers are 4-13 with a 4.44 ERA and have averaged 2 walks an inning. Not good...

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Incidents like that will either get a team going or tear them apart. I've got my money on an implosion.
    The Cubs could implode and still win the Central by 5 games. The Cardinals have already completely collapsed and are only 6 out. That might be the worst baseball division I've ever seen.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    The Cubs could implode and still win the Central by 5 games. The Cardinals have already completely collapsed and are only 6 out. That might be the worst baseball division I've ever seen.
    Well it was pretty bad last year with an 83 win division winner, and didn't the NL West winner go 82-80 a few years ago? I don't know. The NL, for the most part, is just pretty much bad. The East has gotten better, but the Central definitely didn't get that memo.

If the Cubs find a way into the playoffs, which I highly doubt, it'll be because the Brewers are so young and not used to a pennant race.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    That's the only hope I have because the Cardinals won it with 83 wins last year. Had they been in any other division in MLB they would have been no higher than 3rd in any of them.

I just keep praying that Mark Cuban buys the Cubs because you know he'll spend money and put a winner on the field. Just look what he did with the Mavs. They were a terrible franchise when he bought them and now they are one of the best teams in the NBA and they have salary restrictions on top of it. Granted they choked big in the playoffs this year but imagine if Cuban didn't have a salary cap to deal with...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I just keep praying that Mark Cuban buys the Cubs because you know he'll spend money
    Don't you think they spent enough money this offseason? Who else did you want them to sign? The key to a winning organization is being able to build from within.

At the time, I thought it was hilarious that they gave the money they did to Marquis and Lilly. As it turns out, where would they be if they didn't do that?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

maybe they should bring this guy in to raise team morale:

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    Don't you think they spent enough money this offseason? Who else did you want them to sign? The key to a winning organization is being able to build from within.

At the time, I thought it was hilarious that they gave the money they did to Marquis and Lilly. As it turns out, where would they be if they didn't do that?
    Well it's long term money, their actual payroll for the year is around $100 mil and last season's payroll was about $90 mil. They basically shed some bad contracts and got some better players although I think they overspent on DeRosa. Marquis and Lilly has been money well spent so far.

Chicago is a big market and the Tribune has always been tight with their money and could have afforded more in the past. Just hoping the next owners have open wallets because if they added about another $20-$25 mil in payroll you could easily get a couple big impact guys with that. I've always said 1 year of splurging and winning the World Series would more than cover the increase in payroll. Think of all the merchandise you'd sell. I know I'd buy a ton of it just because you may never see Cubs World Champions on anything again in your lifetime. It has been 99 years since the last one...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post

I am a Royals fan. It is funny considering they have just about the same record and the Cubs spend about 70 million more per year on a roster. At least the Royals suck on the cheap and their fans are realistic about it.