Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 129
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    I have now lived in Ames for 2 years as a student, and have been coming here for ISU games since before I can remember. Over the last few weeks, I've driven around parts of Ames like Downtown, South Duff Avenue or North Grand and asked myself, "Do I even feel like I'm in the town that is the Home of the Cyclones?" I see very little Iowa State signage, Cardinal and Gold, etc. unless I'm on campus or in Campustown. I've been to quite a few college towns and cities over the last few years, and many of them live and die by the college that is in their town, such as Lawrence, Lincoln, Madison, and Iowa City. I feel that Ames could embrace Iowa State much, much better by simply putting banners in stores that say "Go Cyclones" or adding I-State or Cy logos to their buildings, signage, light poles, porches, flag poles or billboards. If everyone did things just those things, it would make a huge difference. Home court and home field advantages are not only in and around the sporting venue, but in the entire town that supports it. If Ames can't even show off it's Iowa State pride, how can we expect any other parts of Iowa to do so either? We need to remind Jayhawks and Tigers and Hawkeyes and every other opponent that they are in the Home of the Cyclones from the moment they enter Ames.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 18,984, Level: 42
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cbro31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,131
    Points
    18,984
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 211

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Ames and iowa state have one of the best town-university relationships in the nation. They recently hosted a town and gown conference and most all those in attendance wished they had as good of a workijng relationship. I am fine without seeing cardinal and gold, cy, and iowa state blasted all over the town.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 432,851, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,818
    Points
    432,851
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    Ames and iowa state have one of the best town-university relationships in the nation.
    I COMPLETELY disagree with this. The City of Ames sees Iowa State as a huge nuisance, yet Ames would be a bigger Boone without Iowa State.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 313,992, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,557
    Points
    313,992
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 24

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I COMPLETELY disagree with this. The City of Ames sees Iowa State as a huge nuisance, yet Ames would be a bigger Boone without Iowa State.

    Winner Winner!!!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 164,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,975
    Points
    164,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 50

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Well, all of these HS kids that come through Ames on a visit seem to think it's an ISU town. That's all that really matters.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I COMPLETELY disagree with this. The City of Ames sees Iowa State as a huge nuisance, yet Ames would be a bigger Boone without Iowa State.
    Boone is awesome! It has Golden Corral! Oh, wait...



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 17,986, Level: 40
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cysocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    770
    Points
    17,986
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    There should be a banner on every business and home with CPR and CFH's faces on them. ..



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Well, all of these HS kids that come through Ames on a visit seem to think it's an ISU town. That's all that really matters.
    I disagree. I think it would encourage more students to participate at sporting events if the rest of the town also lived and died by the Cardinal and Gold.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 253,433, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,575
    Points
    253,433
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    Ames and iowa state have one of the best town-university relationships in the nation. They recently hosted a town and gown conference and most all those in attendance wished they had as good of a workijng relationship. I am fine without seeing cardinal and gold, cy, and iowa state blasted all over the town.
    I seriously almost did a spit take.




  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 164,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,975
    Points
    164,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 50

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I disagree. I think it would encourage more students to participate at sporting events if the rest of the town also lived and died by the Cardinal and Gold.
    Eh. If they aren't inspired by taking pride in their school, I'm not too sure that a banner here or a sign there will make a big difference.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Eh. If they aren't inspired by taking pride in their school, I'm not too sure that a banner here or a sign there will make a big difference.
    It's not about a sign or two, its more about an entire culture of ISU pride in Ames.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 34,598, Level: 57
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,134
    Points
    34,598
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    If we win, it will happen. Can you blame businesses for shying away? As with everything else: win first, and everything else will happen.

    If the team wins the students will get on the band wagon (games won't simply be social events anymore) the campus culture will change with the students, and the town atmosphere will change with the campus culture.

    It's kind of a cyclic thing, but it all starts with the students, who need to be excited about winning.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 113,524, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,797
    Points
    113,524
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    Ames and iowa state have one of the best town-university relationships in the nation. They recently hosted a town and gown conference and most all those in attendance wished they had as good of a workijng relationship. I am fine without seeing cardinal and gold, cy, and iowa state blasted all over the town.
    I agree totally with this. There is enough of an Iowa State presence throughout Ames. Keep in mind that few college towns have the campus totally separate from the rest of the town like Ames/ISU does.
    If anything, the ISU "Cyclone" culture on campus is understated compared to others I've seen. That's their issue, not Ames'.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 60,033, Level: 75
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyched's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,551
    Points
    60,033
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 75

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I have now lived in Ames for 2 years as a student, and have been coming here for ISU games since before I can remember. Over the last few weeks, I've driven around parts of Ames like Downtown, South Duff Avenue or North Grand and asked myself, "Do I even feel like I'm in the town that is the Home of the Cyclones?" I see very little Iowa State signage, Cardinal and Gold, etc. unless I'm on campus or in Campustown. I've been to quite a few college towns and cities over the last few years, and many of them live and die by the college that is in their town, such as Lawrence, Lincoln, Madison, and Iowa City. I feel that Ames could embrace Iowa State much, much better by simply putting banners in stores that say "Go Cyclones" or adding I-State or Cy logos to their buildings, signage, light poles, porches, flag poles or billboards. If everyone did things just those things, it would make a huge difference. Home court and home field advantages are not only in and around the sporting venue, but in the entire town that supports it. If Ames can't even show off it's Iowa State pride, how can we expect any other parts of Iowa to do so either? We need to remind Jayhawks and Tigers and Hawkeyes and every other opponent that they are in the Home of the Cyclones from the moment they enter Ames.
    I'd like to see this too. Though maybe some of it had to do with the fact you were driving around during the summer.


    Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 164,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Stewo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    6,975
    Points
    164,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 50

    Re: Do you think Ames is a Cyclone Town?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    It's not about a sign or two, its more about an entire culture of ISU pride in Ames.
    I don't know. What I do know is that I have zero ties to Iowa State University. None. Zero. Nada. Yet, I take tremendous pride in being an Iowa State fan. To me, it all falls on the individual.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM