Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    .......I'm already dead.

    City turns down the Summit's exemption | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen


    50.04%? Are you kidding me? Irresponsible owners are trying every loophole possible to continue to fight for their right to allow illegal activity in their establishments.

    Nice try, Summit. Maybe you should raise the prices of nachos to $400.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    292
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    it'll get reversed in four months anyways



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by maintain242001 View Post
    it'll get reversed in four months anyways
    I'm not so sure this time around. The townies are mobilizing for this one. They have Kirk Ferentz behind them. He's kinda popular.


    Hopefully some of these places go under before November.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 61,384, Level: 76
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,599
    Points
    61,384
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 145

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    I was in IC visiting the in-laws over the Fourth, and there was an article in the Press Citizen talking about the under-age issue. Apparently the city is campaigning hard to keep the >21 ordinance, and they got Ferentz to say that he AGREED with it and encouraged people to support the ordinance when it comes up on appeal/review/whatever it is officially. So Kirk wants to keep kids out of the bars... This could set up an interesting dynamic with the football program. Will voters (college kids) follow Kirk's request to ban themselves from bars?


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    I was in IC visiting the in-laws over the Fourth, and there was an article in the Press Citizen talking about the under-age issue. Apparently the city is campaigning hard to keep the >21 ordinance, and they got Ferentz to say that he AGREED with it and encouraged people to support the ordinance when it comes up on appeal/review/whatever it is officially. So Kirk wants to keep kids out of the bars... This could set up an interesting dynamic with the football program. Will voters (college kids) follow Kirk's request to ban themselves from bars?
    Most likely, he wants to keep his football team out of jail this year.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 61,384, Level: 76
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,599
    Points
    61,384
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 145

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Yoda, I agree and I'm curious how the underage kids on the team feel about Coach putting them at higher risk for arrest when they will most likely still be going to the bars after 10PM.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 188,377, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,504
    Points
    188,377
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    Most likely, he wants to keep his football team out of jail this year.
    They will still get into bars. They have this summer. This law will mean more arrests for his FB team.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    Yoda, I agree and I'm curious how the underage kids on the team feel about Coach putting them at higher risk for arrest when they will most likely still be going to the bars after 10PM.

    I wonder what the effect will be on the total student population. You see, EIU has an enormous amount of Illinois suburban-expats that choose Iowa because they are to dumb to meet University of Illinois admission requirements. They come to Iowa because it is close to home and they can drink like fish in IC. Will future generations choose Wisconsin?



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 206,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,478
    Points
    206,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 372

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Why don't they just lower the drinking age to 19? I've never know a person who drank at 21 but didn't at 19. This law is really a joke.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 151,551, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,081
    Points
    151,551
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 10

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Why don't they just lower the drinking age to 19? I've never know a person who drank at 21 but didn't at 19. This law is really a joke.
    The laws are a joke. But until they are changed, I fully expect "responsible" business owners to abide by the laws instead of continuing to find ways around them.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    They will still get into bars. They have this summer. This law will mean more arrests for his FB team.
    Nope, the has already been in effect for about 3 weeks now. It'll be up for vote in November, but it's law until then. I'm not saying they won't get into bars (it's Iowa City- nobody follows the law there unless there's a cop in the room, and maybe not even then) but it won't be legally.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 21,978, Level: 45
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HawkFanISUalum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    789
    Points
    21,978
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Nope, the has already been in effect for about 3 weeks now. It'll be up for vote in November, but it's law until then. I'm not saying they won't get into bars (it's Iowa City- nobody follows the law there unless there's a cop in the room, and maybe not even then) but it won't be legally.
    I think he meant that they have already been getting into bars this summer, even with the ordinance in affect.

    At least that's that way I read it.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 406,143, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,156
    Points
    406,143
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 135

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    The laws are a joke. But until they are changed, I fully expect "responsible" business owners to abide by the laws instead of continuing to find ways around them.
    The 21 law is only there because the state was forced into it under threat of losing federal highway money. If the state, or local governments want to find ways around this law that was forced upon us from washington, by making it de facto ok to drink over 18 in that area, I am perfectly fine with this.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 60,035, Level: 75
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,295
    Points
    60,035
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    The laws are a joke. But until they are changed, I fully expect "responsible" business owners to abide by the laws instead of continuing to find ways around them.
    Bar owners are pretty far down the scale of "responsible business owners"


    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 94,044, Level: 95
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,006
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,666
    Points
    94,044
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 44

    Re: Don't cry for me Iowa City.........

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    .......I'm already dead.

    City turns down the Summit's exemption | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen


    50.04%? Are you kidding me? Irresponsible owners are trying every loophole possible to continue to fight for their right to allow illegal activity in their establishments.

    Nice try, Summit. Maybe you should raise the prices of nachos to $400.

    OK, having read that article, why would they need to hand out exemptions at all? The minors are able to be in those places until 10pm...who orders food after that? I mean, the Airliner got an exemption? I haven't spent a ton of time in IC, but isn't that one of the two biggest bars there? Did they hand out an exemption to the Union too?

    To me, it seems pretty obvious what is a bar and what is a restaurant. Sports bars can be in the grey area a little I guess. Places like Old Chicago, BWW, Okoboji Grill, Wallaby's...they are restaurants with a bar inside. Places like Peoples (RIP), Whiskey River (RIP), Welch Ave Station are bars that serve pub grub and apps. But at pretty much all the restaurants, they stop serving real food by 10pm anyway.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM