Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Any CFers in Oregon?

I have a job offer and am considering relocating. Distance (yes, it's far from Iowa) and location (yes, it's pretty) aside, I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone is willing to share.

Recruit
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Re: Any CFers in Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by 4ISUnUI2 View Post
    I have a job offer and am considering relocating. Distance (yes, it's far from Iowa) and location (yes, it's pretty) aside, I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone is willing to share.
    I've been in the Portland, Oregon for 13 years now. If you grew up in, or around, Iowa, you'll be amazed at how beautiful and diverse Oregon is. Sure, you'll miss the endless corn and bean fields, but you can be in the snow (year round) on Mt. Hood in one hour or be on some of the most beautiful coast line in an hour in the other direction. There's a lot to do and see. The people are generally pretty nice.

I love it out here. Like anywhere, there are things you have to put up with. Traffic can seem slow and congested at times. But you get used to it. Sure it rains and is gray and cloudy for 6 or 7 months, but the summers are the best. Very low humidity, no mosquitoes, sunny, mild and gorgeous. You can go 3 months without seeing a cloud.

It's a great place. I'd highly recommend it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 111

If you ever get the chance go see a game at Autzen Stadium.. that place isn't very big but wow it gets loud! great gameday atmosphere.. tailgating isn't as good as Iowa State. most of the people i tailgated with were really knowledgeable about Oregon Football, they generally aren't bad at all. sure you're going to run into "those fans" but all in all a GREAT experience

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 13

Been there a number of times...both on business and to visit my son and daughter-in-law. The son moved there 2008 and found that Portland is Iowa City on steriods...lots of hippies and alternative lifestyles. Found a great number of people in the city that choose not to work if they can aviod it. Find a place outside the city to live.

That being said there is a lot of diverse topography and things to do. We enjoy visiting, especially in the summer months when the rain lets up. Got another trip planned in September.

By the way, the son and wife plan on moving back to the mid-west when his assignment is complete. As pretty as it is, they don't want to raise a family there.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Thanks, all. I appreciate the comments. We've been thinking and discussing for a few days with family, etc. (My parents are on CF and probably reading this!). Seems like we've talked about everything with everyone, so why not ask on CF, too, right?!

If we go, I'd be working for Oregon State in Corvallis; my husband's an Iowa fan, so he's excited about the chance to see Big 10 games.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I live in Corvallis and it is great. I don't work for OSU, but collaborate with the faculty there on a near daily basis. PM me if you want any inside info on living in Corvallis or what OSU is like. Which Deptartment will you be working for. Beaver games are a great time and they certainly know how to tailgate in Corvallis. All in all I would highly recommend the move. I think you mean Pac10 games.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BugDoc View Post
    I live in Corvallis and it is great. I don't work for OSU, but collaborate with the faculty there on a near daily basis. PM me if you want any inside info on living in Corvallis or what OSU is like. Which Deptartment will you be working for. Beaver games are a great time and they certainly know how to tailgate in Corvallis. All in all I would highly recommend the move. I think you mean Pac10 games.
    Argh! Can you tell my mind is on other things? Yeah, he's excited to see Pac10 games, but he's also talked about being closer to some Big 10 bowl locations. So I guess he's excited for both.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 5

I've been in Portland for about 5 years now. Weather is fairly temperate, at least in this part of the state. For instance, so far this summer, we have had only a few days above 80 and only a couple above 90. Winters are not too bad in most locations.

In regards to sports, OU and OSU are pretty much like Iowa and Iowa State, except on maybe a little more equal, competitive basis.....at least in football.

All in all, it will be a change from Iowa, but I think most people would like it here.