Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Mission Statement Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Since they're paying for the chaplain, I thought it would be interesting to know more about the FCA. It will be curious to see how much control FCA would have over the Chaplain's message.

The FCA Mission
    To present to athletes and coaches and all whom they influence the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus ****** as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church.

FCA's Statement of Faith We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
    We believe that there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe in the deity of ******, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men (women) regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus ******.
    FCA.org - Home

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Re: Mission Statement Fellowship of Christian Athletes

How many separate threads to we need about this...

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, with a mission statement like that (which I have no problem with whatsoever), appears that the Christian faith may be pushed on those who don't wish to accept it. If there are Muslim or Jewish players or players that are of a different religion could be made uncomfortable.

I am all for a chaplain, I am all for a man or woman of faith. My hope is that this chaplain is there as a counselor who is allowed to suggest accepting Jesus as an avenue for comfort, but does not offer that alone as advice to an emotionally or psychologically troubled football player. As a Catholic, who went to catholic school all of my life and consider many of the priests I've had as friends, I think that this is a potentially tough situation.

The priests I had as teachers in high school were by far the very best counselors I've ever had. I am still very close with one of them and hope that one day he is there to perform my wedding. All he would do was listen and offer some friendly advice and occasionally instructed me to pray. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer, but some of our football players may not be.

I hope that this chaplain is not on a mission to convert everyone who is not Christian on the team. I hope he is there to be a confidant, an unbiased listener, and a friend. While I appreciate and respect the mission statement of the FCA, my concern is that some of our players may be made to feel uncomfortable or unable to talk to the team chaplain. This could be an ongoing controversy that we may never hear about in the news.

Cyclone Pride on the South Side

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The number of threads is fine, IMO. This is a situation regarding the ISU athletic dept, of which we are all fans and shareholders. Spirited discussion is good - especially when we're in the silly season of no ISU sports and barely more recruiting. And I'm perfectly content talking about this, because just about any other news coming out of ISU this time of year, has historically proven to be not so good.

It is clear, however, that it is now more of a religous discussion and probably more suited to the OT forum.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    The number of threads is fine, IMO. This is a situation regarding the ISU athletic dept, of which we are all fans and shareholders. Spirited discussion is good - especially when we're in the silly season of no ISU sports and barely more recruiting. And I'm perfectly content talking about this, because just about any other news coming out of ISU this time of year, has historically proven to be not so good.

It is clear, however, that it is now more of a religous discussion and probably more suited to the OT forum.
    Another thing to consider: The Register is now interviewing players about this. Pollard and Gene are in no comment mode, which is wise. If it's true that only 10 teams in the country have a team chaplain, that is BIG news. I suspect Witosky is already working on a story. Being a newspaper, the DMR will portray this in a bad light. That will be followed by a DMR editorial condeming the idea of a paid football chaplain.

This isn't going away.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    Another thing to consider: .... Being a newspaper, the DMR will portray this in a bad light. That will be followed by a DMR editorial condeming the idea of a paid football chaplain.
    Well that goes without saying.

It will then start the discussion of how if iowa hired a chaplain, that the Rag wouldn't say boo about it, because they are the hawkeye Times, of course.

Ata boy Joe, we'll get this morphed into rivalry discussion yet!

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Ata boy Joe, we'll get this morphed into rivalry discussion yet!
    And then my work will be done -)

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

As a career military person, I can attest to the fact that chaplains play a very important role, well beyond their duties as ministers of whatever faith they represent. There are many things that can come up in life that you just dont feel right approaching a commander, 1st Sgt, or in this case a football coach about. I've seen first hand how chaplains transend their particular faith to serve the greater good. One of my early mentors and friends in the military was a chaplain not of my faith.

This whole deal just shocks me.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 969
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

My BIGGEST concern here is that Gene Chizik is going to think "what have I gotten myself into here in the North?" I'm not a fan of having the chaplain BUT:

- I'm not a player
    - I'm not a coach
    - I'm not the AD
    - I'm not the one who would use the Chaplain
    - I'm not paying for the chaplain's services

Given, that, my opinion and the opinion of all others can say the same 5 things above does NOT matter.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    My BIGGEST concern here is that Gene Chizik is going to think "what have I gotten myself into here in the North?" I'm not a fan of having the chaplain BUT:

- I'm not a player
    - I'm not a coach
    - I'm not the AD
    - I'm not the one who would use the Chaplain

Given, that, my opinion and the opinion of all others can say the same 5 things above does NOT matter.
    Actually, your opinion does matter to some extent. It matters if it changes the way that you would financially contribute to ISU athletics. However, I highly doubt that significant number of people will give more or less money based upon the outcome of this. I doubt that tickets sales will be affected in a significant manner.

Given the mission statement above, I would be against letting these people put a person of influence in a public institution. Is this the first step on a slippery slope? I don't know, but I would hate to find out that was the case down the road.

I think the funding should come from a group with a less aggressive mission statement, if it's going to be allowed.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    So FCA is paying the salary for the chaplain, so who does he actually work for? Will he be a FCA employee 'volunteering' his time to the FB team and reporting only to the FCA hierarchy? Or will he officially be employed by ISU and working for the FB team with his salary being drawn from a FCA donation? Who pays for his insurance/benefits? Are those also covered by FCA or ISU? Just wondering who he will be held accountable to.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 608

I went ahead and moved this thread to Off-Topic so that it's easily grouped with the several other chaplain-related threads.

M 7/09