Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

Would you use a Chaplain if

your core principles and theirs didn't jibe, or if you didn't think they could help? IMHO this position would be accepted by over half of the team it would serve. Would you send your Buddhist linebacker to see a Christian Chaplain. Would you send your atheist tackle to that person. This whole thing is like chicken little, the potential problems, in peoples minds is all you hear, with nothing positive is being said in the papers. I just emailed ISU with my opinion that there is more good than bad to come, with the hiring of a Chaplain. Will it be a hate crime if someone protests against this person, based on their religious beliefs? (tongue in cheek) GO STATE

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,559
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 0

Re: Would you use a Chaplain if

As an theist I've spoken with religious people about "personal" issues. They can be excellent counselors with a great fundamental base of right and wrong and ethical issues. There is no god, but please hire the padre.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 74

ok even atheists are promoting this...kind of makes the decision seem obvious. and yes i would go to a chaplain despite religious differences, expecially after my teammates speak with him about issues they are facing and tell me how much of a help he is.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

When I was in the military sometimes you were in some very remote locations. Which meant you had one Chaplian...if you were lucky. I have talked to Chaplians of many other faiths other than mine. When I was stationed in the Middle East the Chaplians, a group of them of all different faiths, would sometimes come out to the posts just to hang out and talk....not about religion about other things....football....news...whatever. Sometimes it was just nice to see a friendly...smileing face and just talk about whatever. I think the same goes for a lot of these kids playing football that are away from home for the first time.....

Last edited by RedStorm; 05-31-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RedStorm View Post
    Sometimes it was just nice to see a friendly...smileing face and just talk about whatever. I think the same goes for a lot of these kids playing football that are away from home for the first time.....
    That's a very good perspective to keep in mind.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Well put.

The key to this will be can the chaplain be simply a person of faith, and put aside the specifics of his faith. And likewise, can the athletes who don't share the same views 100%.

To answer the above question - would I have a problem - no. Then again, I wouldn't/didn't have a problem going down to St Thomas Aquainas on Lincoln Way either. But if yesterday were today in my life, and my issues with catholicism were the same - I have to admit that being able to go to a "generic" Christian chaplain would be very appealing. And again, IMO his ability to do that is key.