Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 36,685, Level: 59
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    36,685
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 25,041, Level: 48
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,096
    Points
    25,041
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 50

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    "That said, I’ll fully admit — as someone who spent several years in shin guards — that I’m not your average soccer detractor. Let the world have its beloved sport of finesse, low scores and goal-induced coronaries. But hear this: No self-respecting American sports fan truly loves the World Cup. And soccer will always take a backseat — a way backseat — to American football."

    This guy is an idiot and fake: so he thinks the World Cup fans are not "self-respecting". I love World Cup but I love football. Both are unique in their own ways.

    I always avoid going to debate why soccer is boring etc because some people just can't like it and there will always be the same debate in other places/countries/states, when you substitute "soccer" with "baseball", "hockey", "football". Some will ike certain sports, some will not and we should respect that instead of demeaning certain sports and the fans who like them.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,194, Level: 73
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,627
    Points
    56,194
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 47

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    That was a pretty lame article. I've yet to meet someone who is a soccer snob like he references in his article, in his attempt at cliched soccer humor.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 34,598, Level: 57
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,134
    Points
    34,598
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    As lame as it was, it's a fairly adept summary of why soccer isn't quite as popular here.

    American football was born, well. in America. It is ingrained in our culture as much as futbol is ingrained in Europe's. And that's just fine.

    What I don't like is his assertion that Americans that enjoy soccer are somehow less American. the world cup comes at a time when there's a huge void in the sports world: No football, no basketball, baseball is slogging on through the middle part of the season. So, once every four years, the sports world centers around soccer, even in America.

    It's a great thing. Kind of like the Olympics: I wouldn't want it every year, but every once in a while is just right.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 29,234, Level: 52
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,155
    Points
    29,234
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post

    What I don't like is his assertion that Americans that enjoy soccer are somehow less American. the world cup comes at a time when there's a huge void in the sports world: No football, no basketball, baseball is slogging on through the middle part of the season. So, once every four years, the sports world centers around soccer, even in America.
    and now that the World Cup is over (Thank God), soccer can once again return to it's rightful status as an irreleveant sport in this country.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 469,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,701
    Points
    469,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Sometimes I wonder who the greater snobs are - the "soccer snobs", or those that hate soccer so much that they have to prove how "American" they are by writing yet another misinformed article justifying their hatred of it because they don't "get it". Look - I get a large number of Americans don't like soccer. That's fine - nobody says that they HAVE to like soccer. I just wish people would stop with the "I'm out to enlighten the world by ripping soccer" articles that instead of making themselves look enlightened make themselves look like arrogant ********.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 120,784, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    7,194
    Points
    120,784
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 615

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Sometimes I wonder who the greater snobs are - the "soccer snobs", or those that hate soccer so much that they have to prove how "American" they are by writing yet another misinformed article justifying their hatred of it because they don't "get it". Look - I get a large number of Americans don't like soccer. That's fine - nobody says that they HAVE to like soccer. I just wish people would stop with the "I'm out to enlighten the world by ripping soccer" articles that instead of making themselves look enlightened make themselves look like arrogant ********.
    Agreed 100%.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,189, Level: 85
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,563
    Points
    76,189
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    I guess the guy is an adult and not a kid in that case. I can't believe that made it to Fox Sports. Sounded more like a casual message board post



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 21,545, Level: 44
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mksmith2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermosa Beach/LA Area, CA
    Posts
    884
    Points
    21,545
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    I'm always going to have a special place in my heart for both forms of football. Yes I do call Soccer the real football, but i'm not gonna be a jack@$$ about it either. Soccer is more of my baseball, as in there are an unholy amount of games in the season, but I find ways to watch/follow as many of them as I can and pay attention to transfers and etc. I argue that scoring wise, they're not much different, if you only got a point for a touchdown in football, scores would be similar to soccer. But that's neither here nor there. I'm fine with people preferring each sport but that is as long as they aren't arrogant about it and don't hate on the other sport



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 74,020, Level: 84
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycopath25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (307)
    Posts
    5,112
    Points
    74,020
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Dear Mods,
    Please censor any anti-soccer posts. Also please ban any anti-soccer posters.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 211,016, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,370
    Points
    211,016
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 259

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Sometimes I wonder who the greater snobs are - the "soccer snobs", or those that hate soccer so much that they have to prove how "American" they are by writing yet another misinformed article justifying their hatred of it because they don't "get it". Look - I get a large number of Americans don't like soccer. That's fine - nobody says that they HAVE to like soccer. I just wish people would stop with the "I'm out to enlighten the world by ripping soccer" articles that instead of making themselves look enlightened make themselves look like arrogant ********.
    Amen. Great post.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 178,510, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,187
    Points
    178,510
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 60

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by mksmith2 View Post
    I'm always going to have a special place in my heart for both forms of football. Yes I do call Soccer the real football, but i'm not gonna be a jack@$$ about it either. Soccer is more of my baseball, as in there are an unholy amount of games in the season, but I find ways to watch/follow as many of them as I can and pay attention to transfers and etc. I argue that scoring wise, they're not much different, if you only got a point for a touchdown in football, scores would be similar to soccer. But that's neither here nor there. I'm fine with people preferring each sport but that is as long as they aren't arrogant about it and don't hate on the other sport
    How many 7-0 games are there?

    If you counted 7 points as 1 point ISU games would have averaged a score of approx. 3-3. They'd have had one 1-1 game and one 2-1 game and 8 (out of 13)games where at least one team scored 5 "goals"

    By contrast in the World Cup the average score was 1.75-.5 or approx. 12-3 by American football scoring. They also had one game in which in at least one of the teams scored 5 goals (out of 64 games). They had 7 games where neither team scored at all. 58 out of 64 games ended with neither team scoring more than 3 goals.

    I don't mind watching soccer but I've seen this argument tossed around a lot and it doesn't hold any water.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 21,545, Level: 44
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mksmith2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermosa Beach/LA Area, CA
    Posts
    884
    Points
    21,545
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    How many 7-0 games are there?

    If you counted 7 points as 1 point ISU games would have averaged a score of approx. 3-3. They'd have had one 1-1 game and one 2-1 game and 8 (out of 13)games where at least one team scored 5 "goals"

    By contrast in the World Cup the average score was 1.75-.5 or approx. 12-3 by American football scoring. They also had one game in which in at least one of the teams scored 5 goals (out of 64 games). They had 7 games where neither team scored at all. 58 out of 64 games ended with neither team scoring more than 3 goals.

    I don't mind watching soccer but I've seen this argument tossed around a lot and it doesn't hold any water.
    Fair enough.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 81,566, Level: 88
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,764
    Points
    81,566
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

    Lets stop comparing the world cup to american football. They aren't in the same ballpark and most on here understand that. But, if you were to compare world cup to baseball which it actually shares time with, then it's a more even argument. Baseball is boring and now a days you can easily have 3-1/2 hour games without any runs scored. I'd take the world cup over a baseball game any day of the week. The summer season is filled with sports that you can nap to, so soccer fits in nicely.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM