Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 99

Re: this guys ready for football...not soccer

"That said, I’ll fully admit — as someone who spent several years in shin guards — that I’m not your average soccer detractor. Let the world have its beloved sport of finesse, low scores and goal-induced coronaries. But hear this: No self-respecting American sports fan truly loves the World Cup. And soccer will always take a backseat — a way backseat — to American football."

This guy is an idiot and fake: so he thinks the World Cup fans are not "self-respecting". I love World Cup but I love football. Both are unique in their own ways.

I always avoid going to debate why soccer is boring etc because some people just can't like it and there will always be the same debate in other places/countries/states, when you substitute "soccer" with "baseball", "hockey", "football". Some will ike certain sports, some will not and we should respect that instead of demeaning certain sports and the fans who like them.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,285
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

That was a pretty lame article. I've yet to meet someone who is a soccer snob like he references in his article, in his attempt at cliched soccer humor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

As lame as it was, it's a fairly adept summary of why soccer isn't quite as popular here.

American football was born, well. in America. It is ingrained in our culture as much as futbol is ingrained in Europe's. And that's just fine.

What I don't like is his assertion that Americans that enjoy soccer are somehow less American. the world cup comes at a time when there's a huge void in the sports world: No football, no basketball, baseball is slogging on through the middle part of the season. So, once every four years, the sports world centers around soccer, even in America.

It's a great thing. Kind of like the Olympics: I wouldn't want it every year, but every once in a while is just right.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post

What I don't like is his assertion that Americans that enjoy soccer are somehow less American. the world cup comes at a time when there's a huge void in the sports world: No football, no basketball, baseball is slogging on through the middle part of the season. So, once every four years, the sports world centers around soccer, even in America.
    and now that the World Cup is over (Thank God), soccer can once again return to it's rightful status as an irreleveant sport in this country.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Sometimes I wonder who the greater snobs are - the "soccer snobs", or those that hate soccer so much that they have to prove how "American" they are by writing yet another misinformed article justifying their hatred of it because they don't "get it". Look - I get a large number of Americans don't like soccer. That's fine - nobody says that they HAVE to like soccer. I just wish people would stop with the "I'm out to enlighten the world by ripping soccer" articles that instead of making themselves look enlightened make themselves look like arrogant ********.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 529
    Given: 1,107

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Sometimes I wonder who the greater snobs are - the "soccer snobs", or those that hate soccer so much that they have to prove how "American" they are by writing yet another misinformed article justifying their hatred of it because they don't "get it". Look - I get a large number of Americans don't like soccer. That's fine - nobody says that they HAVE to like soccer. I just wish people would stop with the "I'm out to enlighten the world by ripping soccer" articles that instead of making themselves look enlightened make themselves look like arrogant ********.
    Agreed 100%.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 478
    Given: 158

I guess the guy is an adult and not a kid in that case. I can't believe that made it to Fox Sports. Sounded more like a casual message board post

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 14

I'm always going to have a special place in my heart for both forms of football. Yes I do call Soccer the real football, but i'm not gonna be a jack@$$ about it either. Soccer is more of my baseball, as in there are an unholy amount of games in the season, but I find ways to watch/follow as many of them as I can and pay attention to transfers and etc. I argue that scoring wise, they're not much different, if you only got a point for a touchdown in football, scores would be similar to soccer. But that's neither here nor there. I'm fine with people preferring each sport but that is as long as they aren't arrogant about it and don't hate on the other sport

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Dear Mods,
    Please censor any anti-soccer posts. Also please ban any anti-soccer posters.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 903
    Given: 555

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Amen. Great post.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 898
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by mksmith2 View Post
    I'm always going to have a special place in my heart for both forms of football. Yes I do call Soccer the real football, but i'm not gonna be a jack@$$ about it either. Soccer is more of my baseball, as in there are an unholy amount of games in the season, but I find ways to watch/follow as many of them as I can and pay attention to transfers and etc. I argue that scoring wise, they're not much different, if you only got a point for a touchdown in football, scores would be similar to soccer. But that's neither here nor there. I'm fine with people preferring each sport but that is as long as they aren't arrogant about it and don't hate on the other sport
    How many 7-0 games are there?

If you counted 7 points as 1 point ISU games would have averaged a score of approx. 3-3. They'd have had one 1-1 game and one 2-1 game and 8 (out of 13)games where at least one team scored 5 "goals"

By contrast in the World Cup the average score was 1.75-.5 or approx. 12-3 by American football scoring. They also had one game in which in at least one of the teams scored 5 goals (out of 64 games). They had 7 games where neither team scored at all. 58 out of 64 games ended with neither team scoring more than 3 goals.

I don't mind watching soccer but I've seen this argument tossed around a lot and it doesn't hold any water.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    How many 7-0 games are there?

If you counted 7 points as 1 point ISU games would have averaged a score of approx. 3-3. They'd have had one 1-1 game and one 2-1 game and 8 (out of 13)games where at least one team scored 5 "goals"

By contrast in the World Cup the average score was 1.75-.5 or approx. 12-3 by American football scoring. They also had one game in which in at least one of the teams scored 5 goals (out of 64 games). They had 7 games where neither team scored at all. 58 out of 64 games ended with neither team scoring more than 3 goals.

I don't mind watching soccer but I've seen this argument tossed around a lot and it doesn't hold any water.
    Fair enough.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

Lets stop comparing the world cup to american football. They aren't in the same ballpark and most on here understand that. But, if you were to compare world cup to baseball which it actually shares time with, then it's a more even argument. Baseball is boring and now a days you can easily have 3-1/2 hour games without any runs scored. I'd take the world cup over a baseball game any day of the week. The summer season is filled with sports that you can nap to, so soccer fits in nicely.