Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 64

Big 12 schools moving ahead with TV networks

OU, Texas likely will start own TV networks soon | Tulsa World

Not surprising that when the option to create a Big 12 Network was discussed, Texas acted in their own best interest and not that of the whole conference.

As the Big Ten prepared to launch the Big Ten Network in 2007, Big 12 officials considered forming their own channel. They turned the idea down so schools could pursue networks of their own.

The idea of league networks surfaced again last month. OU, Texas and others would have forfeited their own networks by joining the Pac-10, which is reportedly pursuing its own channel.

Texas officials acknowledged at a June press conference that losing TV rights to a league network would be "a cost" because of the money-making potential for a Longhorns channel, which wouldn't have to share profits or airtime with other schools.

"I think Texas people are not going to want to watch Missouri baseball as much as they are Texas baseball," Longhorns athletic director DeLoss Dodds said in a phone interview. "If we're on one-twelfth of the time versus all the time, that's a huge difference in my mind."

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 83

Re: Big 12 schools moving ahead with TV networks

"I think Texas people are not going to want to watch Missouri baseball as much as they are Texas baseball," Longhorns athletic director DeLoss Dodds said in a phone interview. "If we're on one-twelfth of the time versus all the time, that's a huge difference in my mind."

I do like the jab at Mizoo - at least he threw Mizoo under the bus - seems like we're usually the school who gets dumped on for no reason.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Not surprising that when the option to create a Big 12 Network was discussed, Texas acted in their own best interest and not that of the whole conference.
    This should not shock anyone. Texass does not care about the schools in the conference, they never have and likely never will.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Hopefully ISU can take advantage of this opportunity.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    Hopefully ISU can take advantage of this opportunity.

I don't see us starting our own network... but maybe this can atleast open up the possibility of expanded CloneZone coverage.

We'll have to see about that though... I can't say I know much about what it takest to run a TV network, but I know a little about how CloneZone is currently run and to expand it to cover more events on a regular basis will probably taken a bit of work / investments to make it a more packageable program, which of course will drive costs up.

And based on comments from previous Clone Zone events, I'm pretty sure people would want to see those investments made... (footage is either a re-broadcast of Mediacom footage or it's the jumbotron video feed coupled with John Walter's radio network audio feed - and they don't neccesarily line up well)

Could ultimately be a good thing for those of us not living in Iowa though

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    I don't see us starting our own network... but maybe this can atleast open up the possibility of expanded CloneZone coverage.

We'll have to see about that though... I can't say I know much about what it takest to run a TV network, but I know a little about how CloneZone is currently run and to expand it to cover more events on a regular basis will probably taken a bit of work / investments to make it a more packageable program, which of course will drive costs up.

And based on comments from previous Clone Zone events, I'm pretty sure people would want to see those investments made... (footage is either a re-broadcast of Mediacom footage or it's the jumbotron video feed coupled with John Walter's radio network audio feed - and they don't neccesarily line up well)

How is clone zone ran? Is there a team that is committed to it full time, or is it the responsibility of a team within the athletics department that does it part time? Also, does anyone have an idea of how many people subscribe to clone zone?

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

I would like to see:

1. Expanded Clone Zone coverage
    2. Possibly a ISU television network broadcasting state wide (probably wouldn't make money, but would give ISU a LOT of exposure and cool for the fans)

Last edited by JUKEBOX; 07-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 28

Can't we get a better version of CloneZone going, so I can hook it up to my tv and get a decent picture. I'd easily pay a $100 a year subscription fee to watch all the games. I don't know how many people get CloneZone, but if it's unrealistic to have our own network, then it seems like the next best thing.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Could we just partner with some Iowa TV stations and run our own little production company?

Seems like our own network would be too much work, but to get on a bunch of local stations for the non-profit sports (and any FB and MBB games that are not on regular TV) would be a good deal.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by mcblogerson View Post
    Can't we get a better version of CloneZone going, so I can hook it up to my tv and get a decent picture. I'd easily pay a $100 a year subscription fee to watch all the games. I don't know how many people get CloneZone, but if it's unrealistic to have our own network, then it seems like the next best thing.
    If it truly had all the FB and MBB games (and the other sports, of course) then I would pay $100 a year for that. Living far from Iowa sometimes limits our options...

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ksclone View Post
    This should not shock anyone. Texass does not care about the schools in the conference, they never have and likely never will.
    Of course, it wouldn't be CF if we couldn't start the work week with mindless UT bashing. Why aren't you guys bashing OU? They want a network just as badly as UT does.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 338

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I would like to see:

1. Expanded Clone Zone coverage
    2. Possibly a ISU television network broadcasting state wide (probably wouldn't make money, but would give ISU a LOT of exposure and cool for the fans)
    More CLOWNZONE coming your way:

What's My Line? - Bozo the Clown - Bing Videos

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    How is clone zone ran? Is there a team that is committed to it full time, or is it the responsibility of a team within the athletics department that does it part time? Also, does anyone have an idea of how many people subscribe to clone zone?
    I just know a few details but I'd imagine it would take expanding the staff running things to make it more viable for broadcasting most/all football games.

For perspective, only one football game gets broadcast via video / year right now. The logistics of 1 game vs 12 are a little different...

Same would go for basketball / other sporting events that find their way on there.

I have no idea if expanding Clone Zone is being looked at or not, I hope it is (since I live so far away), but each team being able to do their own network is several years down the road still (If I am not mistaken), so this is largely an academic discussion at this point.

I'm sure JP will be considering a varriety of options for when it does become an option, and I would think CZ would be in that list, but it will certainly need work if they go that route (anyone who watched the Army game last year can vouch for that) and it would take some planning and resources to make it a broadcast venture people would want to spend money on on a regular basis.

Such improvments would cost money and I don't know if CZ would make for a profitable venture or not... but again thats getting into business case studys that JP and the AD will have to do.

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 24

Such improvments would cost money and I don't know if CZ would make for a profitable venture or not... but again thats getting into business case studys that JP and the AD will have to do.
    Here enlies the biggest issue. $$$$. Regardless of what people say, they aren't going to pay to see Iowa State softball against Bemidji State. They want football and basketball, and the majority (and future possibility of all) of these games are on TV for football, and most are TV for MBB, and few want to pay to see the Twister Sisters. Right now I'm pretty sure all of the technical work is outsourced, and then CloneZone has a small staff that puts everything together.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 500

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Of course, it wouldn't be CF if we couldn't start the work week with mindless UT bashing. Why aren't you guys bashing OU? They want a network just as badly as UT does.
    bashing OU is more of a Tuesday thing...

Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"