LINK

Published May 30. 2007 10:38PM

Chizik preaches work

New football coach meets fans in C.R.

ttached Multimedia Files:

By Scott Dochterman

The Gazette
    scott.dochterman@gazettecommunications.com

CEDAR RAPIDS - Gene Chizik took his message of work ethic, enjoyed by his Iowa State players, and spread it to nearly 1,000 Cyclone supporters Wednesday night.

Chizik, who was hired last fall to replace Dan McCarney, met with fans and boosters at Lindale Mall as part of a Cyclone Tailgate Tour. He spoke for about 5 minutes about his love for football. But he also preached the same gospel his players hear nearly every day.

"The state of Iowa is about hard work," Chizik said. "These players will tell you hard work is not optional."

Chizik joined Athletics Director Jamie Pollard, men's basketball coach Greg McDermott, wrestling coach Cael Sanderson and several student-athletes. He signed autographs almost continuously for 90 minutes before speaking, then met supporters afterward.

Chizik said his work ethic was determined by his father, the late Gene Chizik Sr., who fought with the Marines on Okinawa.

"I was fortunate that I had a father that I very much looked up to and all the things he did were ingrained in me and a part of me," Chizik said. "You're always a product of somebody, and I happen to be a product of him."

Chizik's determination and love for football are evident to his players. Iowa State wide receiver Todd Blythe, one of many players on the tailgate tour, said Chizik would strap on a helmet if he could.

"It's been all football all the time, especially now that school's out," Blythe said. "He brings a real intensity that's really contagious. He's definitely a football guy."

Preparation also is part of Chizik's daily message to players, quarterback Bret Meyer said.

"His attitude is just be accountable (for) what you've got to get taken care of," Meyer said.

As a defensive coordinator, Chizik helped Texas win the 2006 national title and lift Auburn to an unbeaten season that ended in 2005. Those seasons were predicated on hard work, Chizik said.

"It's the cornerstone of everything we're trying to do," he said. "It's hard work. It's doing the right things. It's being disciplined, It's trying to be at your best every day. That's hard to do. I think the ones that become champions are the ones who do it the longest and do it the best. And that's not an easy thing."

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 38

Re: Chizik preaches work

i was there, he is not the firery speaker that MAC was, but I think he is going to build a solid program - the guy seems like he lives and dies football and wants to make the kids better. Jamie Pollard is like a giant cheerleader, i think you can tell him his dog just died and he would still have a smile on his face.

JP has brought together a group of coaches that may turn out to be one of the top group of coaches in the country w/ Sanderson, Fennelly, and hopefully McDermott and Chizik.

overall the event took on a sense of being cheesey because it was in a mall parking lot......it would have been nicer if they had done it at a park. It was nice that they had Meyer and Blythe signing autographs the whole night.

Can't wait for 8/30/07

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 473
    Given: 322

I'll only get to drop by the Cyclone Tailgate Tour in Davenport tonite - I've got a softball game at 7:00, and with my wife working till 6 tonite it'll be my job to cook dinner tonite.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    overall the event took on a sense of being cheesey because it was in a mall parking lot......it would have been nicer if they had done it at a park.
    I didn't think it was cheesy at all.....don't most tailgates take place in a parking lot?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 60

I was at the Cyclone Tailgate in CR last night. Great event ans good turnout. I had the chance to speak with four coaches and JP. Chizik is not as firery as Mac but he comes across as very genuine and sincere. When you talk to him he makes you feel like you are the only other person in the room. I work in Coralville and when I told Pollard that he was the main sports topic of conversation in Iowa City this winter he busted up laughing. Alll said, great event and I would encourage you to attend one of them.

Last edited by intrepid27; 05-31-2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by SlyCy View Post
    Chizik preaches work
    [...]
    CEDAR RAPIDS - Gene Chizik took his message of work ethic, enjoyed by his Iowa State players, and spread it to nearly 1,000 Cyclone supporters Wednesday night.

Chizik, who was hired last fall to replace Dan McCarney, met with fans and boosters at Lindale Mall as part of a Cyclone Tailgate Tour. He spoke for about 5 minutes about his love for football. But he also preached the same gospel his players hear nearly every day.

"The state of Iowa is about hard work," Chizik said. "These players will tell you hard work is not optional."
    Uh oh...Chizik has been preaching the gospel...that should be worth at least one more petition...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy