Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

OT: Great music website

Just and FYI in the form of a thread.

Check out:

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

It's basically an online radio station where you select the music. Simply type in an artist or song you like and it will select music similar to play next. Great way to find new music/artists.

Enjoy.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: OT: Great music website

Yeah that site's great. I usually listen to it in between classes when I'm on campus if I forget to bring along my Nano.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Pandora is great! I've found tons of new artists based on its recommendations. Unfortunately, Pandora is in danger of ceasing operations because the big record companies, represented by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), are trying to raise royalty fees that internet radio operations are required to pay by between 300% and 1200%. These fee increases would essentially obliterate the internet radio industry.

If you're interested, here's a LINK to a good story on the subject.

If you like what you hear on Pandora and want to make sure it doesn't have to shut down due to excessive royalty fee increases, you might want to check out THIS SITE. You can send a message to your congressional representatives through this website. It's a much more effective way of getting your point across, and you should, at the very least, get some kind of written response from your federal representatives. If they get enough messages like this, it can potentially affect the way they view the issue.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    If you're interested, here's a LINK to a good story on the subject.
    Thanks for the info. A friend of mine sent me this website months and months ago. I bookmarked and never got around to checking it out.

Hopefully now that I am getting into it, it will not be shut down. The creator has his points about ruining the industry. When I find an artist I like on this site from the recomendations, I usually head over to ITunes or the likes to buy the album. Without a site like this, I would have never discovered the artist.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtd9046 View Post
    When I find an artist I like on this site from the recomendations, I usually head over to ITunes or the likes to buy the album. Without a site like this, I would have never discovered the artist.
    My point exactly! Having sites like Pandora available is a huge boon to the recording industry. But the RIAA is such a neanderthalic, short-sighted, money-grubbing monolith that any new technologies outside the traditional formats of vinyl LPs and eight-track tapes threaten them into a frenzied panic. They've fought every technology -- from cassette tapes, to digital audio tapes, to MP3 players, to computer rippers and burners, to downloadable music -- until long after consumers had abandoned the more antiquated technologies favored by the RIAA and it was evident that that the recording industry would have to change or die. Even then, the RIAA would normally champion some bastardized version of the technology favored by the public in a desperate effort to force consumers to bow to the Big Four recording companies' effective monopoly. Hopefully, the RIAA doesn't win this latest battle. But if they do, they'll be the ones suffering in the long run.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    My point exactly! Having sites like Pandora available is a huge boon to the recording industry. But the RIAA is such a neanderthalic, short-sighted, money-grubbing monolith that any new technologies outside the traditional formats of vinyl LPs and eight-track tapes threaten them into a frenzied panic. They've fought every technology -- from cassette tapes, to digital audio tapes, to MP3 players, to computer rippers and burners, to downloadable music -- until long after consumers had abandoned the more antiquated technologies favored by the RIAA and it was evident that that the recording industry would have to change or die. Even then, the RIAA would normally champion some bastardized version of the technology favored by the public in a desperate effort to force consumers to bow to the Big Four recording companies' effective monopoly. Hopefully, the RIAA doesn't win this latest battle. But if they do, they'll be the ones suffering in the long run.
    Couldn't agree more.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I like finding sites that have live or acoustic performances by artists. STRIPPED - Raw and Real is one place I like, some pretty cool acoustic versions of popular songs. AOL sessions is another site that has live performances on videos. And I just found it the other week but Wal-Mart now has a spot on their site called Soundcheck that has live performances as well.

Any other sites people know of for this kind of stuff?

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 2,452

I just started using a site called Last.fm – The Social Music Revolution - you run iTunes or WinAmp or whatever plug-in, and it records the songs you play. You can tag songs to categorize them into whatever you choose (I've got "indie" and "wedding songs" as two examples). You can then later listen to your own "radio station". You can also get friends (a lot like MySpace or Facebook) and compare songs/listening habits.

M 7/09