Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 8,745, Level: 27
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    374
    Points
    8,745
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Cyclone pick up another gem

    Sanderson and his staff are keeping the heat on.

    Iowa State head coach Cael Sanderson received a national letter of intent from one of the nationís top big men. Jerome Ward, a two-time Illinois state champion and Junior National Freestyle champion, will attend Iowa State this fall.
    Ward was ranked as the No. 3 189-pound prospect nationally by Amateur Wrestling News. Ward compiled a 156-13 record at St. Rita High School in Chicago, Ill. As a senior he posted a 44-1 record en route to the Illinois Class AA title at 189 pounds. As a junior he was 50-1 and won his first Illinois Class AA title.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 53,487, Level: 71
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Prone2Clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,163
    Points
    53,487
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 34

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    I love the fact that we have a coach whose collegiate record was EVERYTHING - 0 out recruiting. How can a kid not say "YES!" to arguably the best wrestler ever. GO CAEL!



  3. #3
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    isu_bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    550
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Intermat.com last october.


    Jerome Ward

    St. Rita, Chicago
    Projected college weight: 184
    Background: Ward, the two time Asics All American is a physical specimin. Extremly strong and aggressive on the mat, Ward also plays fullback for the state ranked Mustangs. Still developing as a technical wrestler, Ward's raw talent continues to improve at a speed faster than any other wrestler in Illinois. A third place finish in freestyle this past summer at 189 pounds has mirrored Ward's fast rise to national elite wrestler. Ward has developed into a great shooter who can finish with a pin if need be. Ward's physical, brawling style is a fan favorite and his matches are always must see matches. Clinching his first state title with a 47 and 1 record, the future seems very bright for the states top 189 pounder.
    What makes him a top recruit: Ward's ability to physically dominate a match makes it evident that he is a collegiate wrestler waiting on a coach to make him an offer. Ranked as the 19th college prospect by Intermat, college coaches can find a future college All American waiting at 79th & Western in Chicago.
    Where he's looking: Iowa, Illinois, North Carolina State, Nebraska-Lincoln


    Also:
    Jerome is rated the 20th best recruit of his class by Intermat


    Last edited by isu_bub; 05-31-2007 at 09:48 AM.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 252,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,536
    Points
    252,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Isn't he the same weight as Cael? Who wouldn't want to develop wrestling the greatest collegiate wrestler of all time?




  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 64,940, Level: 79
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,427
    Points
    64,940
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Intermat.com last october.


    Jerome Ward
    St. Rita, Chicago
    Projected college weight: 184
    Background: Ward, the two time Asics All American is a physical specimin. Extremly strong and aggressive on the mat, Ward also plays fullback for the state ranked Mustangs. Still developing as a technical wrestler, Ward's raw talent continues to improve at a speed faster than any other wrestler in Illinois. A third place finish in freestyle this past summer at 189 pounds has mirrored Ward's fast rise to national elite wrestler. Ward has developed into a great shooter who can finish with a pin if need be. Ward's physical, brawling style is a fan favorite and his matches are always must see matches. Clinching his first state title with a 47 and 1 record, the future seems very bright for the states top 189 pounder.
    What makes him a top recruit: Ward's ability to physically dominate a match makes it evident that he is a collegiate wrestler waiting on a coach to make him an offer. Ranked as the 19th college prospect by Intermat, college coaches can find a future college All American waiting at 79th & Western in Chicago.
    Where he's looking: Iowa, Illinois, North Carolina State, Nebraska-Lincoln


    Also:
    Jerome is rated the 20th best recruit of his class by Intermat
    Not sure how old this data is but I find it interesting that ISU wasn't even on his list of potential schools and now he signs with us. Very cool.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 155,562, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,582
    Points
    155,562
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 136

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    It is almost scary to think about the amount of success Sanderson may have over the years. It's starting to feel like we can just pick and choose whoever we want to come to ISU.



  7. #7
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Are there academic issues with this kid?



  8. #8
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    isu_bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    550
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    It's a late pick up, but there is nothing to blatantly indicate that.





  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 5,117, Level: 21
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Liberty, IA
    Posts
    206
    Points
    5,117
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    St. Rita has been basically grooming collegiate talent over the years. St. Rita was one of our biggest rivals every year at Mt. Carmel High School another athlete factory. This kid is revered in Illinois for his talent and huge upside. Iowa State Wrestling is going to be a dynasty again in the very near future. Should be exciting!

    Glad to see Iowa State find the South Side of Chicago, there is just a treasure trove of talent in every sport.


    Cyclone Pride on the South Side

  10. #10
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bmuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,583
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    It is almost scary to think about the amount of success Sanderson may have over the years. It's starting to feel like we can just pick and choose whoever we want to come to ISU.

    This must be what USC or Texas feels like in football.


    XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    I was looking online and found something from 2006 that said he committed to Iowa. What happened since then?



  12. #12
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    isu_bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    550
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    I was looking online and found something from 2006 that said he committed to Iowa. What happened since then?
    Brands came over for a house visit, got a little heated for no reason, and subsequently a coffee table was broken.





  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 64,940, Level: 79
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,427
    Points
    64,940
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Brands came over for a house visit, got a little heated for no reason, and subsequently a coffee table was broken.
    That made me think of Chris Farley doing Matt Foley, inspirational speaker, on SNL.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone pick up another gem

    When you're wrasslin'...in a van...down by the Iowa River!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM