Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

Neighbor Advice Needed

My wife and I live in a decent, quiet sub-division. When we moved in, there were some vacant lots across the street that we assumed were part of the sub-division. They weren't. Someone ended up building townhomes there and renting them to college students. I wouldn't have a problem with all of that. But there have been lots of party's that get loud and cause problems (drinking and driving, fights, bottles all over in the morning). I have anonymously called the police about these parties in the past but they still have them every 3 months or so.

Well, just tonight I'm sitting in my home office and I hear fire crackers. From my deck I see two guys throwing firecrackers from a deck of the townhomes and they see me see them. I go back in to my office and I hear something hit the side of my house and then "boom". So I go out in the yard and find a firecracker that hit my house. But the guys aren't out there anymore.

So here is my question:

Should I call the police and start some giant war with these guys (I have way more to lose than them since I own the property). They would know it was me that called the police this time. Or go talk to them about it. Or just ignore it?

Any suggestions?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Neighbor Advice Needed

Speaking from experience it is not worth the effort of confronting them. It doesn't do any good except egg them on to do more and up the anty.... chances are you'll live there longer than them but they aren't worth giving them control of your happiness.

I was faced with a similar situation and had two choices. Either live with it and not let it bother me or move. I ended up moving and never looked back.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Call em, you live there and they won't as long probably. I'd contact the property owners too and file a complaint about their tennants. No reason you should have to put up with that crap.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'd go talk to them about it TOMORROW. Not tonight. In no way do you want to get involved with someone who may be intoxicated and beligerant (sp?), as you have more to lose than they would if a fight broke out. However, if you've already talked to them about their behavior in the past, and they've blown it off, I'd call the landlord about it.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hmm...two very different answers at this point...

Needless to say I'm extremely PO'd about this. I don't want to make a bad dicision because I'm angry.

We have already talked about moving. But now isn't the right time. I would say that within 3 years, we'll be moving.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Call em, you live there and they won't as long probably. I'd contact the property owners too and file a complaint about their tennants. No reason you should have to put up with that crap.
    I've never contacted the property owner about anything they have done. I think I'll do that tomorrow and see what they have to say.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

Plant some drugs in their house and call the police.
    Sorry, i know this really sucks, its like your a prisoner in your own house. They arent just gonna change their ways, something needs to be done for them to change. Cops, landlord, whatever. Good luck!

Ps have a camcorder ready at a moments notice.

Last edited by ripvdub; 05-30-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Needless to say I'm extremely PO'd about this. I don't want to make a bad dicision because I'm angry.
    That's why you don't want to talk to either the tenants, or the landlord tonight. You could make it worse ten-fold. At the house I lived in last year, we got along with our neighbors until VEISHEA weekend, then we ****** them off. They came over and threatened us while everyone was drunk, and we decided to upset them more. At our house now, our neighbors who owned property around us talked about what they would appreciate we did about the look of the neighborhood before anything happened, and we've tried to abide by these rules because they were kind to begin with. Your best bet would be to try and meet the new tenants when they move in and discuss things with them at that point, or when you see them around. That's what has worked best for me at least.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I've never contacted the property owner about anything they have done. I think I'll do that tomorrow and see what they have to say.
    Contacting the landlord is probably the best route. They will care because p!ssed off neighbors is the last thing they want. And they would be more effective in getting their tennants to shape up if rent deposit or a place to live was on the line.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I have anonymously called the police about these parties in the past but they still have them every 3 months or so.
    So you're the one!

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

But will the landlord give a damn? Most of the time, they don't from my experience. I'd take cyclones62 advice and just try casually talking to them. That seems like the best bet for ending this without a big fiasco. If you talk to those kids, they will respect that and probably stop doing it in most cases IMO. If one of my neighbors aproached me with your concern, I'd respect that and watch it from now on.

Throwing a firecracker on someone's house is pretty ballsy.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice, all.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

Go straight to the landlord and tell him you will be going to the cops the next time it happens. The landlord should care if you tell him that. The new people that live above me were lighting firecrackers last night; just tossing them off their deck and they landed by all the vehicles. Good thing my truck wasnt parked over there or I'd pull out my paintball gun and fire back!!!

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 114

I'm gonna give advice from a different angle...I just graduated from college last year, and for my last two years, I lived in a house off campus...I had numerous parties at my place, and needless to say, a few times my neighbors either came over while we were having the party and asked to keep people inside or talked to us about it the next day...

We would always cooperate with them if they came to us and talked about it...the ones that got pissy and called the cops everytime without talking to us, well they were the ones that we had the problems with...

I would say just go over tomorrow and talk to them, and more than likely they will try to keep some control...that is unless they are just complete jerks....

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'm gonna give advice from a different angle...I just graduated from college last year, and for my last two years, I lived in a house off campus...I had numerous parties at my place, and needless to say, a few times my neighbors either came over while we were having the party and asked to keep people inside or talked to us about it the next day...

We would always cooperate with them if they came to us and talked about it...the ones that got pissy and called the cops everytime without talking to us, well they were the ones that we had the problems with...

I would say just go over tomorrow and talk to them, and more than likely they will try to keep some control...that is unless they are just complete jerks....
    I agree completely. Where I'm living right now, which is about 50/50 for rent/own relationship, we haven't had any problems with obnoxious parties or cops. The only reason is that the people that own property were respectful enough to us to talk to us either before anything even happened, or the day after something disruptive occured. Unless the people you live near are complete jack-holes, they'll respect the fact that you took the time to talk to them about your concerns before instigating legal actions. You treated them as you would like them to treat you.