Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

Ragbrai and Longer Bike Ride help

Ok.... I have a good amount of miles in and I am looking at doing 4 days of Ragbrai if not more depending on work and people I bike with. I have done 2 days before and that was cake but it seems like I was really unprepared if something big happened. So I am wonder these things.

1. I ride with my bike bag. I have 4 tubes and patch kit, tire levers, and a multi tool along with all the tools needed for my bike. What else would you recommend??

2. I need a mirror... Which is better to use: a helmet clip on mirror or handle bar mirror??

3. What is the proper procedure on handling some of those stupid racers that go flying by you with out warning you, or telling you they are on your left?? Is it proper to yell at them or should I just buy a gun... Ok.. Not too serious..

4. Would you suggest a bike lock for days?? At night the bikes will be in a vehicle and locked.

5. I use Gold Bond for chaffing and keeping dry.. Is there something better I should you, or Gold Bond and a Chamois Cream??? Just wanting to stay dry and fresh and didn't know the best method.

6. Also any nutritional drinks or what not I should be packing?? I usually have potasium pills and electrolyte tablets for water bottle..

Last edited by bellzisu; 07-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Re: Ragbrai and Longer Bike Ride help

1. I assume your patch kit has CO2 or something to inflate your new tube? Also, pack granola. That always helps between towns.

2. I use a clip on to my sunglasses. I would recommend that or one on the helmet.

3. Ignore them.

4. No need for a bike lock. Everyone on RAGBRAI is pretty honest.

5. You seem to have a good idea with the Gold Bond or using butt butter. I would also suggest only bike shorts and that's it. No compressions or anything under them.

6. Always heard pickle juice is a good way to keep from cramping.

Good luck, and remember most of RAGBRAI is mental and just the motivation to keep going after you start to get tired.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 99

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Ok.... I have a good amount of miles in and I am looking at doing 4 days of Ragbrai if not more depending on work and people I bike with. I have done 2 days before and that was cake but it seems like I was really unprepared if something big happened. So I am wonder these things.

1. I ride with my bike bag. I have 4 tubes and patch kit, tire levers, and a multi tool along with all the tools needed for my bike. What else would you recommend?? you are overstocked. One or 2 tubes is plenty for one ride. Blow 4 tires and you should give it up.

2. I need a mirror... Which is better to use: a helmet clip on mirror or handle bar mirror?? neither

3. What is the proper procedure on handling some of those stupid racers that go flying by you with out warning you, or telling you they are on your left?? Is it proper to yell at them or should I just buy a gun... Ok.. Not too serious.. so you don't want them racing by and you don't want them announcing their position to you, would you prefer they just tail you?

4. Would you suggest a bike lock for days?? At night the bikes will be in a vehicle and locked. worth considering but adds weight. if you are going to be away from your bike you might think about it if your bike is really nice. but, on RAGBRAI you benefit from the "herd immunity." Since there are so many bikes, many really nice ones, and most not locked, the odds are low of yours getting taken. good home owners insurance is a great option.

5. I use Gold Bond for chaffing and keeping dry.. Is there something better I should you, or Gold Bond and a Chamois Cream??? Just wanting to stay dry and fresh and didn't know the best method. Bike shorts with Chamois to absorb moisture and no undies underneath.

6. Also any nutritional drinks or what not I should be packing?? I usually have potasium pills and electrolyte tablets for water bottle..Water

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 99

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    1. I assume your patch kit has CO2 or something to inflate your new tube? Also, pack granola. That always helps between towns. A dime or penny will work in a pinch if you are talking about patching.

2. I use a clip on to my sunglasses. I would recommend that or one on the helmet.

3. Ignore them.

4. No need for a bike lock. Everyone on RAGBRAI is pretty honest.

5. You seem to have a good idea with the Gold Bond or using butt butter. I would also suggest only bike shorts and that's it. No compressions or anything under them.

6. Always heard pickle juice is a good way to keep from cramping.

Good luck, and remember most of RAGBRAI is mental and just the motivation to keep going after you start to get tired.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

4 tubes? Are you planning on riding on the roads or in the ditches? Two is plenty unless someone throws 5 pounds of tacks on the route, which has happened. The vendors are pretty reasonable on tubes. Pack a hat and sunscreen.

I don't know what to do about the racers. Try leaving around 7 or so in the morning. Those guys tend to get out early.

Mirrors, I really like my bike mounted one. A friend of mine loves his helmet mounted. Either one comes in handy when the racers come screeming up behind you.

No suggestion on nutritional stuff. Drink plenty of water. If it gets really hot Gatorade or some knock off are usually available and cold.

We never lock our bikes during the ride, mostly because there are so many better bikes laying around. If you have a really nice bike get a very light cable lock. If there is any deterent at all bike crooks will move on the easier game.

If you have racing shoes, take some sandals to walk around in. If you have SPDs, you can forget the sandals. You walk a lot on RAGBRAI.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

1. Sounds ok, I've never gone through 4 tubes on a RAGBRAI, and I ride from DSM to the start each year and ride the whole week. As was pointed out...CO2

2. Clip on to sunglasses

3. It's RAGRAI...there's 10,000 other riders, calling out left all day when you're surrounded by fellow cyclists....come on...if you're riding on the far left at excessively slow speeds you should expect to be buzzed by...and some people actually ride at 19-24 mph as an avg...it's not racing (jumping in a paceline is fun as well).

4. During the day a lock isn't necessary, but if you didn't have a vehicle to store your steed in overnight, a small cable lock is good for peace of mind.

5. Butt butter is essential, Gold Bond a good addition, agreed with bike shorts only and you shouldn't have a problem (rinse em' out when you shower and let them dry)

6. Salt pills followed by water always works like a charm.

Have fun! Should be a good time this year.

Walk On
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Recommend bringing some packs of Powerbar Gel or equivalent. There are various flavors (vanilla is good) and other brands like Gu, Clif shot/bloks, etc.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've got 4 tubes in my bag because I already went through 4 this summer. I finally took it to bike world to find out that I had metal slivers and shards stuck in my rim tape. So I come prepared now. I did get a CO2 pump after a buddy swore by it. Relatively cheap too..

My only problem with the racers is they never say anything. I consider myself a in the middle to upper range in biking and ride with people who are quicker and it pushes me alot. So we end up passing a ton of people and we always talk no matter how many people there are. Well last year I almost got clipped by a racer after going past some slower "pack" in which I told them I was going left. I had no clue about the person beside me. Probably why I'm very interested in getting a mirrow this year.

I may try butt butter and use gold bond later in the day if needed. I will have a different pair of shorts for each day and a chance to use a washer each night, so I really won't have to worry about letting stuff dry out.

My spd's are on sandals and I love them.... So I'll be good with them.

Salt pills and water... interesting.. will have to give it a try.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    Recommend bringing some packs of Powerbar Gel or equivalent. There are various flavors (vanilla is good) and other brands like Gu, Clif shot/bloks, etc.

Never tried any of them... Will have to remember to try it out this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

1. I ride with my bike bag. I have 4 tubes and patch kit, tire levers, and a multi tool along with all the tools needed for my bike. What else would you recommend??

2. I need a mirror... Which is better to use: a helmet clip on mirror or handle bar mirror??

3. What is the proper procedure on handling some of those stupid racers that go flying by you with out warning you, or telling you they are on your left?? Is it proper to yell at them or should I just buy a gun... Ok.. Not too serious..

4. Would you suggest a bike lock for days?? At night the bikes will be in a vehicle and locked.

5. I use Gold Bond for chaffing and keeping dry.. Is there something better I should you, or Gold Bond and a Chamois Cream??? Just wanting to stay dry and fresh and didn't know the best method.

6. Also any nutritional drinks or what not I should be packing?? I usually have potasium pills and electrolyte tablets for water bottle..
    1. Are you in the freaking boy scouts? You don't get a merit badge for being prepared on RAGBRAI. Two tubes, no patch kit, and a cell phone. That is all. Get some Gatorskin tires, they do not flat often.

2. You do not need a mirror.

3. The proper procedure is getting faster at riding a bicycle so you aren't getting passed by so many people.

4. Is your bicycle nicer than all the other thousands of unlocked bicycles on RAGBRAI? If not, I'd probably not bother with this.

5. Good luck. I like Assos chamois cream, but that won't keep you dry. It is cream after all.

6. You are kidding right? You are not crossing the freaking Mohave, you're on RAGBRAI where there's a food stop every 3 miles.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 104

Wow. Good thing you asked. Lots of self proclaimed experts on here with numerous smart *** remarks.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    Wow. Good thing you asked. Lots of self proclaimed experts on here with numerous smart *** remarks.

Yeah... You are correct... Alot of useful info, but alot of smart *** remarks. I guess it is afterall just Ragbrai and not Le Tour.

And no we don't stop in every town, every six miles. It gets old and seems stupid considering most of our "training" rides we will go 20 plus without stopping. Just needed some ideas incase it was a nice 90+ degree summer day with nice 90% humidity. It is Iowa which can feel like the MOHAVE.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Not to be a smart ***, but I agree with Eric. It's an easy year mileage and elevation wise. In fact I have a whole 4 miles in (oh the joys of being a new parent).

It'll be my 9th ride, and I'd recommend a spare tube, some cash, a cell phone and a relaxed attitude. You'll be fine.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 127

My tips: plastic baggies for your wallet and cell phone. Bring along a small sunscreen bottle. Make sure to put a koozie in your jersey pocket along with a cheap cigar. Don't bring any mirror, or more than 2 tubes.
    Somebody recommended gator skin tires and I 2nd that. Make sure to check your air every morning.
    I have a headlamp I wear when walking to the port a pots at night. I also bring along bug spray, a pocket knife and string in my tent bag.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Salt pills and water... interesting.. will have to give it a try.
    I had never used them before the I-24 (across Iowa in 24 hours) ride back in June. The ER doc that was travelling with us in support started giving them to me early in the day, they worked awesome. The gatorade/powerade etc drinks are just too much sugar.

Although...I'll be taking in plenty of beer throughout each day