Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 93

Deace haters...

From the venom being spewed over on the football board concerning Deace's article, a question came to mind. Why do those of you who constantly bash on Deace hate him so much? I know the obvious answer is that you disagree with his religious views and such, but is there more? I mean there's plenty of guys on the radio that I don't agree with but I don't wish them ill will or go nuts on them like I've heard everyone who disagrees with Steve do. Please explain your rationale for the rest of us that enjoy his views on family values and morality (something seriously lacking in our world today).

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Deace haters...

I have no problem with the guy, in fact anyone who is a cyclone in the media is ok in my book... Personally I was unhappy with the petition as well... But that article was pure garbage in my opinion.

Everyone has the right to say whats on their mind. I just happened to disagree with his mindless attacks that he did on my own personal moral standpoint... which ironically, is the foundation of his piece. The world is not better, nor worse as a result though, so no harm done!

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The thing with me is that he's a religious bigot. I can't stand people like that. To me, if you show that you can't accept people for either a) their beliefs or b) their race/ethnicity/handicaps/sexual orientation etc. you show a serious lack of intelligence and morality on your own part.

I know there are people who don't agree with some of these things, but instead of spewing forth bile such as "that homosxual is detroying my children by being flamboyant in public" or "if he's an atheist, how can he possibly teach morals to students?" I believe that I can teach my students about morality and walking down a righteous path by being accepting of all the people they come into contact with, and not buying stereotypes, and showing them a genuine caring environment in my classroom. I don't think I need to bring my personal beliefs anywhere near my students; that's not my job to do. That is something for each individual to decide on their own, and no one else should deter anyone from making such a personal choice.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I certainly don't wish him ill (at least in most regards; if his show were to be canceled I wouldn't feel bad). He made ripping him very easy by writing such a crappy article though. In general I tend to get get upset with anyone who arrogantly portrays them self as some great authority on an issue, can't back up what they say with any reasoned argument, and is too blinded by their position to even try to see things from another point of view. Hopefully these criticisms apply more to Deace's media persona than him personally, but I'm not so sure.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

When Deace speaks of religion, he uses glittering generalities... purporting his thoughts are of a general nature of having some moral compass - over not having a moral compass - or worse. His real personal beliefs could be viewed by some as extreme.

I think people that know Steve also know of his agenda as a believer in his sect. When he talks about religion, he is isn't talking about the run-of-the-mill Catholics & Protestants that make up 90+ % of church-going Iowans, nor is he talking about any "moral compass" that doesn't completely agree with his faction. He recruits outrage from people he considers "lesser Christians" because they will flood message boards for him and never know he actually considers them "lesser Christians".

The guy is smart. He entertains. He has every right to believe what he does. He has every right to feel smugly superior to traditional Christians. He may be right, in some cases.

If you are a Steve Deace Fan, more power to you. I hope that you are comfortable with what you are supporting.

To those who don't agree with Steve, you are probably concerned that Steve does not form his arguments by "walking the walk". Steve basically has a real (and valid) belief system... and an on-air belief system. He uses his "on-air belief system" to further his "real" belief system goals. Some will simply say this is a means to an end and the alternate reality is simply a way to convey his sect's message. Others will call this dishonest conduct. I think every person will have to determine for themselves the path that Steve has chosen.

So I can't tell you what to believe - I can only encourage people to investigate further and make your own decisions. Get off your butt and speak to him face-to-face. Find out for yourself. Look into his beliefs - and the strategies that they use to influence you. As a strong supporter of the American Way and full disclosure, Steve would approve of you learning about his beliefs - right?

I cannot hate Steve Deace - he is my fellow man. Although he isn't a real Cyclone Supporter - except under his terms - he is an entertaining and engaging radio host. I can take umbrage to what he says in the name of God because his God is seemingly much different than the one I worship on Sundays.

--------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

First off...I have no real opinion one way or the other on the chaplain issue. My belief is it's really a non-issue, made into an issue by the professors with their petition attempting to stand up to the establishment (aka the athletic department), the regular media with their summer duldrums looking for a story, and people like Deace who jump at an issue to sink their teeth into and beat into the ground to further spread their beliefs. By him writing this article, it only raises more red flags on the chaplain issue and sparks more opposition from those against it. Now this thing won't be going away or decided upon until August.... More radio time for Deace.

Steve gets paid to speak his mind...and is "entertaining" enough to get paid for it on the radio. But you have to wonder about his business acumen. I don't see how this article can be a good thing for CN. This could quite possibly alienate what portion of their subscribers remain. It is rather humorous that the first original content that site generated in the last month was Steve's unabashed beliefs disguised as an article. Maybe he should worry more about generating a subscriber base by coming up with informative pieces rather than spreading his views in this manner. I can see why that site has had such constant turnover..Steve and the other guy running CN must be extremely difficult to work for. An attitude of "I'm right and I don't care what you think" doesn't lend itself to a good product. It's sad really to see how far CN has fallen since the new year when their latest staff jumped ship. I am all for as much promotion of the Cyclones as possible, yet I wonder if Steve really is the best mouth piece for Cyclone athletics....but I guess we are stuck with him..for good and bad.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Look what happened to this deer after reading Deace's article....

Deer God. (deer gore) pics. - PbNation

Warning: this might contain more gore than Apocolypto. There is nothing Huber about this image.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If I were to rank my three greatest Christians of all time, it would go like this:

1. Steve Deace
    2. The real Jesus
    3. The Jesus of the New Testament.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If I were to rank my three greatest Christians of all time, it would go like this:

1. Steve Deace
    2. The real Jesus
    3. The Jesus of the New Testament.
    And just where does 8lb 6oz baby Jesus rank? Or what about "Bearded Jesus". How about the Jesus that shows up in a tuxedo shirt? Where do those 3 rank?

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    And just where does 8lb 6oz baby Jesus rank? Or what about "Bearded Jesus". How about the Jesus that shows up in a tuxedo shirt? Where do those 3 rank?
    Definitely Top 20. I also left out the farting preacher, who deserves votes. Farting Preacher - FartingPreacher.org | The Orginal Robert Tilton Farting Preacher Video Clips

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

I loved listening to Deace...I may not agree with much of his religious talk (although I do with some) but when I'm choosing a radio station to listen to, my main goal isn't to find a host who I agree with 100%.

I don't agree with M&M alot, but I like listening to their show.

For you Deace-haters...would you rather have Deace back on 1460 or listen to Jon Miller? Or Marty and Miller? I'd take Deace in a heartbeat.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Deace was good for ISU sports when he was on KXNO. However, his bigotry is undeniable. Remember when he was bashing a Jewish baseball player for taking a day off for a Jewish holiday? He had a simple solution for the player. Convert to Christianity and accept Jesus as his savior. Would he have made an issue if a player refused to play on Easter or Christmas? I doubt it.

That, my friends, makes him an intolerant bigot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KneeGusto View Post
    To those who don't agree with Steve, you are probably concerned that Steve does not form his arguments by "walking the walk". Steve basically has a real (and valid) belief system... and an on-air belief system. He uses his "on-air belief system" to further his "real" belief system goals. Some will simply say this is a means to an end and the alternate reality is simply a way to convey his sect's message. Others will call this dishonest conduct. I think every person will have to determine for themselves the path that Steve has chosen.
    I'm risking losing rep points, but oh well...

Do you personally know Steve Deace? How do you know he's not walking his walk? How do you know his on air belief system is any different than when he's walking through Wal-Mart or grilling burgers with his neighbors? And how can anyone determine which path Deace has taken if they don't really know him?

By the way, evangelical Christianity isn't a sect...

(Braces for flaming arrows...)

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Deace was good for ISU sports when he was on KXNO. However, his bigotry is undeniable. Remember when he was bashing a Jewish baseball player for taking a day off for a Jewish holiday? He had a simple solution for the player. Convert to Christianity and accept Jesus as his savior. Would he have made an issue if a player refused to play on Easter or Christmas? I doubt it.

That, my friends, makes him an intolerant bigot.
    That my friend was parady.

I love how when a person takes the bible and word of God literally they are intollerant and deserve hatred. It amazes me how "far" society has come in their views. I imagine the folks in Sodom thought they were pretty progressive as well.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I loved Deace on 1460 most of the time. He's knowledgeable and entertaining.

I skip over to WHO from time to time, but it's more of what I didn't like about Deace - his soapbox act. And frankly it makes me want to puke. He has such a narrow - my way or the highway to hell - view of things, it's very non-Christian, IMO.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 05-30-2007 at 08:38 AM.