Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 24,982, Level: 48
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,092
    Points
    24,982
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

    International Students

    I'm curious to see how much effort has been directed towards international students at Iowa State to support our teams. What have been done and what else can be done ?

    A lot of international students ended up being huge fans of basketball and football teams. For football, some of them didn't, just because they didn't understand the rules and they had no one to explain the rules. For basketball, this is easier as there are no problems understanding the rules like football, but I believe there could be a stronger push for this segment.

    First: some of them don't go home during the holidays. They can go to Hilton to watch basketball
    Second: Most of them want to have different experience (from the cultural standpoint) when going to school in the US. Why can't they have great experience watching Football, basketball, etc ?
    Third: Who knows they can be donors in the future ?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: International Students

    It gets expensive FAST to watch break games. Trust me.

    Additionally, they don't do anything to market to the college students besides orientation. Why would they make a push for the international students, many of which leave the country when they graduate anyways? Additionally, in the short term, college students aren't where they make money. Even in the long term they really aren't where you make money. The people who want to donate will, and the people who don't care won't.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 24,982, Level: 48
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,092
    Points
    24,982
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It gets expensive FAST to watch break games. Trust me.

    Additionally, they don't do anything to market to the college students besides orientation. Why would they make a push for the international students, many of which leave the country when they graduate anyways? Additionally, in the short term, college students aren't where they make money. Even in the long term they really aren't where you make money. The people who want to donate will, and the people who don't care won't.
    Why can't they do anything - if it doesn't work for a long-term, at least "push" them to attend games when they're here. I don't know how many international students are at ISU right now but when I was there, there were probably at least 4-5000 international students.

    And most of them have a lot of money because they (or their families) are really rich in their own countries.

    We won't have to have an extravagant effort but at least do something through their student organizations during orientation or in the beginning of the semester



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 856,891, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,048
    Points
    856,891
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 1,120

    Re: International Students

    I know a Korean couple that makes several MBB games during the season

    And some Indonesian alumni who reside in Ames that attend as well.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,643, Level: 92
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,318
    Points
    88,643
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

    Re: International Students

    It'd be perfect if Cyclone Alley could be given 3-4 rows on the west side during break games. I usually see that many CA members at every break game, and being a loud college student is frowned upon in the balcony.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 92,742, Level: 94
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,571
    Points
    92,742
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 29

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    It gets expensive FAST to watch break games. Trust me.

    Additionally, they don't do anything to market to the college students besides orientation. Why would they make a push for the international students, many of which leave the country when they graduate anyways? Additionally, in the short term, college students aren't where they make money. Even in the long term they really aren't where you make money. The people who want to donate will, and the people who don't care won't.
    I disagree that they don't do anything to market to college students besides orientation. Every year, we see videos of coaches stopping by the dorms on move-in day and handing out treats. The FB program usually has a pep rally on campus prior to the first game. And I'm pretty sure coaches routinely speak at different frats and dorm floors to drum up support.

    On a side note, I've noticed a LOT more ISU gear being worn by students the last few years. I don't know whether it is just new and different shirt designs they are offering or what (I know back in the 90's, they had all of 2-3 designs and all were pretty plain), but I believe that the AD gets a lot more and better student support than they did just 10 years ago. I know for sure that the bookstore has been filled with students on their orientation visits these past few weeks. I'm betting that they somehow worked a MU visit into their itineraries.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    We won't have to have an extravagant effort but at least do something through their student organizations during orientation or in the beginning of the semester
    So now you want to force the student organizations to do something that they get nothing out of? As an officer of the basketball club, if someone from Iowa State tried to get me to sell tickets or promote ISU athletics because I'm involved with the basketball club, I'd tell them to go screw themselves. Just from being involved with the basketball club, I can tell you we had exactly no international teams last year, and it wasn't because of a lack of marketing it. The interest just wasn't there, so we won't spend time/money to market to them this year.

    In the end, they all have to go through orientation, and all the students get the same paperwork that 90% don't read about where you can get involved in stuff. From the international students I know and have interacted with, 90% don't care at all about sports. They're here for an education. Go to Lied at night, you'll see one court, max two of international students.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I disagree that they don't do anything to market to college students besides orientation. Every year, we see videos of coaches stopping by the dorms on move-in day and handing out treats. The FB program usually has a pep rally on campus prior to the first game. And I'm pretty sure coaches routinely speak at different frats and dorm floors to drum up support.

    On a side note, I've noticed a LOT more ISU gear being worn by students the last few years. I don't know whether it is just new and different shirt designs they are offering or what (I know back in the 90's, they had all of 2-3 designs and all were pretty plain), but I believe that the AD gets a lot more and better student support than they did just 10 years ago. I know for sure that the bookstore has been filled with students on their orientation visits these past few weeks. I'm betting that they somehow worked a MU visit into their itineraries.
    The coaches stopping on one floor move in day amounts to very little, especially when the people who are interested know who they are, and the people who don't know who they are generally don't care (this is from being on move-in crew multiple years).

    The football program has a pep rally before the first game? Hm. Didn't know that.

    Coaches may speak to a frat, but I don't think I've heard of a coach speaking on a dorm floor. I don't see a coach speaking to a frat of 50 guys as much of a marketing ploy either. 50 people out of 30,000 students is nothing.

    Bookstore = packed because of orientation and people getting their books pre-ordered. You'll also notice more ISU shirts just because they give a BUNCH of them away at orientation. Orientation alone I got SAA, Cyclone Alley, UBS, etc. shirts. They hit you at orientation, then e-mail occasionally afterwards.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 24,982, Level: 48
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,092
    Points
    24,982
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    So now you want to force the student organizations to do something that they get nothing out of? As an officer of the basketball club, if someone from Iowa State tried to get me to sell tickets or promote ISU athletics because I'm involved with the basketball club, I'd tell them to go screw themselves. Just from being involved with the basketball club, I can tell you we had exactly no international teams last year, and it wasn't because of a lack of marketing it. The interest just wasn't there, so we won't spend time/money to market to them this year.
    No, for international students: it will be through their student organizations (e.g. Taiwanese Student Association, etc). Ask whether they'll be interested in having a coach and/or player coming to their meeting in the beginning of a season. It's not about selling tickets.

    Another problem with international students: most of them mingle with fellow internationals. But that's a different situation


    Last edited by CyGal; 07-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 856,891, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,048
    Points
    856,891
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 1,120

    Re: International Students

    [quote=cyclone13;1803020]
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    So now you want to force the student organizations to do something that they get nothing out of? As an officer of the basketball club, if someone from Iowa State tried to get me to sell tickets or promote ISU athletics because I'm involved with the basketball club, I'd tell them to go screw themselves. Just from being involved with the basketball club, I can tell you we had exactly no international teams last year, and it wasn't because of a lack of marketing it. The interest just wasn't there, so we won't spend time/money to market to them this year.
    QUOTE]

    No, for international students: it will be through their student organizations (e.g. Taiwanese Student Association, etc). Ask whether they'll be interested in having a coach and/or player coming to their meeting in the beginning of a season. It's not about selling tickets.

    Another problem with international students: most of them mingle with fellow internationals. But that's a different situation
    And American students mingle with American students.

    I've found that international students love to mingle with Americans, but sometimes it helps if the American shows that interest, too.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 24,982, Level: 48
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,092
    Points
    24,982
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 37

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    The coaches stopping on one floor move in day amounts to very little, especially when the people who are interested know who they are, and the people who don't know who they are generally don't care (this is from being on move-in crew multiple years).

    The football program has a pep rally before the first game? Hm. Didn't know that.

    Coaches may speak to a frat, but I don't think I've heard of a coach speaking on a dorm floor. I don't see a coach speaking to a frat of 50 guys as much of a marketing ploy either. 50 people out of 30,000 students is nothing.
    +1
    It's how to find the new segment. find someone who doesn't know and make him/her interested in what they're doing.


    Last edited by CyGal; 07-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 130,939, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyrevkah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,090
    Points
    130,939
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 440

    Re: International Students

    Back to Internationals...I think a lot of it may also depend on the friends they make while here. Most of the current students I know would like to go to a game at least once. If they have someone with them that's willing to explain what they don't understand it's more fun too.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    No, for international students: it will be through their student organizations (e.g. Taiwanese Student Association, etc). Ask whether they'll be interested in having a coach and/or player coming to their meeting in the beginning of a season. It's not about selling tickets.

    Another problem with international students: most of them mingle with fellow internationals. But that's a different situation
    Again, why would those organizations want to give up their time? Organizations are a pain as it is to get as many people's schedules to work out as possible, so the time you do have together you really have to focus on getting things done.
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And American students mingle with American students.

    I've found that international students love to mingle with Americans, but sometimes it helps if the American shows that interest, too.
    How would you know about mingling? No one has an interest in you.

    Bike rack. Yeah. I know the drill.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    Back to Internationals...I think a lot of it may also depend on the friends they make while here. Most of the current students I know would like to go to a game at least once. If they have someone with them that's willing to explain what they don't understand it's more fun too.
    And here enlies your problem. Few people go out of their comfort zone. It's rare to see an international student with anything other than international students unless its for group projects or other class related activities. I had a couple international roommates, and I never saw them with anyone that wasn't an international student.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 16,539, Level: 39
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclone1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    900
    Points
    16,539
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 104

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    If they have someone with them that's willing to explain what they don't understand it's more fun too.
    This would have been difficult last year, there were many times I couldn't understand what Mac was doing with the team either.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 39,715, Level: 61
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,040
    Points
    39,715
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

    Re: International Students

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I'm curious to see how much effort has been directed towards international students at Iowa State to support our teams. What have been done and what else can be done ?

    A lot of international students ended up being huge fans of basketball and football teams. For football, some of them didn't, just because they didn't understand the rules and they had no one to explain the rules. For basketball, this is easier as there are no problems understanding the rules like football, but I believe there could be a stronger push for this segment.

    First: some of them don't go home during the holidays. They can go to Hilton to watch basketball
    Second: Most of them want to have different experience (from the cultural standpoint) when going to school in the US. Why can't they have great experience watching Football, basketball, etc ?
    Third: Who knows they can be donors in the future ?
    Cyclone Alley should have been doing this once it was formed. It's easy enough to sell tickets and give away "toys" during basketball games because the students that make up CA are the ones who would have bought tickets regardless. That group should be the ambassadors to reach out to the student demographic that does not attend athletic events - international students, select students in the design building and the few AG majors who are Hawk-fans. If CA would use that money to offer free tickets to one game to these groups instead of buying foam cowboy-hats, ISU can improve the atmosphere which could lead to an improved product on the floor.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM