Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

CR CYCLONE TAILGATE TOUR -- WEDNESDAY

Just a reminder the Cyclone Tailgate Tour will kick off this Wednesday May 30 with the first stop in Cedar Rapids at Lindale Mall (NE Parking Lot/Collins Road) . LINK

The inaugural Cyclone Tailgate Tour – a six-stop, state-wide caravan featuring coaches, student-athletes, spirit squads, Cy, the pep band, interactive games and inflatable attractions for kids, door prizes and much more – will be touching down across the state. All events have free admission and will run from 5-7:30 p.m. with a short program to begin at 6:30 p.m. Food and Cyclone gear from the Iowa State University Bookstore will be available for purchase

Last edited by SlyCy; 05-29-2007 at 01:32 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: CR CYCLONE TAILGATE TOUR -- WEDNESDAY

Published May 28. 2007 6:40PM

Pollard: Iowa-ISU rivalry 'a chess match'

By Scott Dochterman

scott.dochterman@gazettecommunications.com

CEDAR RAPIDS - Often, the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry takes on a life that borders between a friendly poker game and a wild-west shootout.

Iowa State Athletics Director Jamie Pollard has become the rivalry's polarizing force. He's stoked the passion of Iowa State fans to take pride in their school while riling up the more populous Iowa fans across the state.

One might wonder if Pollard's philosophy and popularity is shaped toward taking shots toward Iowa City.

Well, Corridor Cyclone and Hawkeye fans alike, here's your chance to find out up close. Pollard, new football coach Gene Chizik, men's basketball coach Greg McDermott, wrestling coach Cael Sanderson and others come to Cedar Rapids as part of the Cyclone Caravan. The free event begins at 5 p.m. Wednesday in Lindale Mall's northwest parking lot.

Certainly fans of both persuasions will focus on Pollard's relationship with Iowa. As for Pollard, he sees the rivalry as a positive for both schools.

``In some ways for me it's a chess game,'' Pollard said. ``We're moving the pawns and the horses, and we're trying to figure out how to use that rivalry to be able to strategically grow interest - selfishly in Iowa State - but it's going to help them, too.

``It's probably more of a rivalry for us than for them because they've always been in command. So we're probably more of an annoyance to them, but to us, it's more fun.''

Hawkeye fans still flare their nostrils when thinking of a football billboard Pollard placed on I-380 in Cedar Rapids last summer proclaiming Iowa to be ``A Cyclone State.'' With Iowa's victory last fall, Pollard may need to find another method of stirring the state's passion pot.

Still, Pollard and his group of Cyclones don't want to concede Eastern Iowa - specifically Cedar Rapids - to the more local Iowa fan base.

``There's nothing wrong with reaching out to our fans in the eastern side of the state to let them know we know they're there,'' McDermott said, ``and we appreciate the fact that they're there. I think that's a positive.''

Football once again might be the catalyst toward stoking flames between the schools. Iowa State is charging $90 per ticket in its 4,000 ticket allotment to Iowa, one of the nation's highest single-game figures. Pollard also has withheld single-game ticket sales, which draws the ire of traveling Hawkeye fans.

Pollard insists his purpose is not to shut out Iowa fans, rather to increase season-ticket sales. So far, Iowa State has sold about 33,000 season tickets, a record. But some people call it risky and several thousand seats could remain empty for an always-packed game.

``It's a risk to someone who evaluates it on one game and the revenue for that game,'' Pollard said. ``I don't care about those people. Those people who are gauging it on one game aren't the people that are donating and buying our tickets for the long haul. Those are the people that want to seem en vogue the day of that game. I don't care about those people, because those people aren't the people who are going to get us where we need to go.''

Pollard, though, said he wants to keep all relations cordial. He calls Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta ``a great friend'' and the two athletics directors will meet colleagues and their spouses at a think tank in Wyoming this summer. Pollard also said he wants to keep the rivalry fun.

``I always tell our people, `Let's not get taken too seriously,' '' Pollard said. ``It can't ever get too nasty. It's not intended to be nasty. But at the same time, I don't think historically that people at Iowa State have pounded their chests. They were afraid they couldn't do what they were saying they were going to do.''

McDermott said there's a respectful tone with him and other coaches toward their cross-state rivals.

``Too many of our fans take the rivalry so seriously and that's great, but you can also have fun with it, and I think that's what Jamie has done with the billboard,'' McDermott said. ``There's no animosity between he and the Hawkeyes or any of us and the Hawkeyes, at least in my view. It's a very respectful rivalry in my opinion, and I think we're fortunate in the state of Iowa to have a rivalry such as that.''

LINK

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

I really like this, but this is what sucks about ISU right now. We have to build a bigger fanbase by winning some frickin games. We are stepping on the hawks toes by putting up a billboard and going to Cedar Rapids for a couple of meet the coaches nights? Ames is to Des Moines as Iowa City is to Cedar Rapids. Hawks are always in Des Moines parading around and have billboards all over DM. There is even a Choose the University of Iowa Billboard right outside of Ames, but nobody says crap because their are a ton of Hawk fans in central Iowa. Man that sucks.
    I really hope that we can start a bigger fanbase in Eastern Iowa in the future. At least we have the best AD for that to happen.
    Thats my beef and I am pissy b/c I have been doing server maintence for for the last few hours.

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 05-29-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 46

``It's a risk to someone who evaluates it on one game and the revenue for that game,'' Pollard said. ``I don't care about those people. Those people who are gauging it on one game aren't the people that are donating and buying our tickets for the long haul. Those are the people that want to seem en vogue the day of that game. I don't care about those people, because those people aren't the people who are going to get us where we need to go.''

what a great, great quote.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bumpty, bump, bump

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

hmmmm my dogs obidience school is at 6pm at pet smart in CR tomorrow I wonder if I can bring my puppy to the cyclone tailgate.....

Not to mention it is supposed to rain here tomorrow

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    We are stepping on the hawks toes by putting up a billboard and going to Cedar Rapids for a couple of meet the coaches nights?
    Don't agree really. Stepping on their toes? They can go *F* themselves. There is a large contingent of ISU fans in CR and it's growing all the time. The CVCC banquets of the past have been one of the biggest held in the state.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    hmmmm my dogs obidience school is at 6pm at pet smart in CR tomorrow I wonder if I can bring my puppy to the cyclone tailgate.....

Not to mention it is supposed to rain here tomorrow
    incase anyone had same question I had, I just called the questions number and they said they have not really thought about pets, or restricted them yet, and as long as they are well behaved they should be ok. My only problem is, I don't think it is possible for my 4 month old puppy to be well behaved but we will give it a shot lol

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Would those CVCC banquets being well attended have anything to do with Cedar Rapids being the second biggest city in the state.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk4Life24 View Post
    Would those CVCC banquets being well attended have anything to do with Cedar Rapids being the second biggest city in the state.
    Yes that would probably have something to do with it, which strangly might be the same reason (gasp....) that iowa state puts billboards in cedar rapids

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Which is exactly why Pollard should put up billboards and put the ISU name out there. Even the piece in the Gazette, he's not paying for the kind of publicity. He has done a great job of creating buzz in the state and not paying for the advertising.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,305
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 77

Linn County has more Cyclones in it than any other county in the state by a huge amount, with the exception of Story and Polk. That is why Pollard is making it a priority, and rightfully so.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Linn County has more Cyclones in it than any other county in the state by a huge amount, with the exception of Story and Polk. That is why Pollard is making it a priority, and rightfully so.
    Pulse...
    Are you serious about that? I had no idea there was some many cyclone fans in CR. When ever I have been to Waterloo/CF, CR, Iowa City and the Quad Cities I felt like a big minority. I guess that is good news if true. Maybe we just have a bunch of closet fans that need to wake up?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would say cyclones in linn county are still dwarfed by the amount of hawkeyes but I always see tons of ISU plates on the roads, or vehicles with others cyclone stuff on it. And I know the few times I went to the cyclone game watches at cabo sports bar there are generally a large number of cyclone fans there as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,305
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Pulse...
    Are you serious about that? I had no idea there was some many cyclone fans in CR. When ever I have been to Waterloo/CF, CR, Iowa City and the Quad Cities I felt like a big minority. I guess that is good news if true. Maybe we just have a bunch of closet fans that need to wake up?
    Absolutely! Linn in one of most populated counties and has a lot a of jobs. Those jobs that require degrees certainly aren't Iowa grads! Yes there are a lot of I fans on that side of the state, but there are many ISU fans too, and Pollard is reaching out to them. The fans over there probably lay low so they don't have to get into an arguement with every toothless Iowa fan.