Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Is there another Cael or Gable out there?

Lots of top wrestlers...any guesses if there is another BIG time wrestler on the horizon?

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Is there another Cael or Gable out there?

I think these two graduate this spring, but I wrestled with them, and they have the work ethic of those two. David Drahozel and James Colwell. They made the state tourney their freshman year of high school, and then their senior seasons, I didn't look into the the state tourney their soph of junior years, so I'm not sure what happened there. Like I said before, they will out-work anyone in the practice room, and have significant talent for wrestling. If nothing else, I'd love to see them walk-on at ISU this fall.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    I think these two graduate this spring, but I wrestled with them, and they have the work ethic of those two. David Drahozel and James Colwell. They made the state tourney their freshman year of high school, and then their senior seasons, I didn't look into the the state tourney their soph of junior years, so I'm not sure what happened there. Like I said before, they will out-work anyone in the practice room, and have significant talent for wrestling. If nothing else, I'd love to see them walk-on at ISU this fall.
    I researched these guys, really, they would fit in more at Division 2,3, NAIA.

David Drahozal
    C.R. Xavier 152 21 7 11 75.0%
    James Colwell
    C.R. Xavier 130 25 8 13 75.8%

Their records fall right at how I did in high school, and I wasn't Division 1 material. Any decent wrestler like these guys are would make good impacts at lower levels or in the practice room.

Wrestlers to the caliber of making an impact for our team had better have two state titles, or be a two-three time place winner, depending on the state. Winning four state titles, like many of our wrestles have, is usually a proven pedigree to success. Even in non-traditional wrestling power states, like Kansas, a 4-timer is usually clutch, like Zach Roberson, who was a national champion for us. Likewise, Jake Varner won only 2 California State Titles but the California State Wrestling Tourney lumps every district and region of the state together, so it is much tougher.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Wrestlers to the caliber of making an impact for our team had better have two state titles, or be a two-three time place winner, depending on the state.
    I guess I disagree. Maybe I rate heart and work ethic a bit higher, and even though I may seem biased, these two have the biggest desire to make it at a DI school that I have seen. I wouldn't give them a shollie, but as walk-ons, I'd love to see them push the starters to the max in the practice room. Perhaps their hearts would show that they wrestled with the varsity high school team as sixth graders, but if it doesn't, it does show that they're willing to be the best by making such a big jump.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Sometimes the reach of a walk-on can speak very well for programs of any sport. sometimes a walk-on connect with the staff and technique more in college...it take a hell of a committment...plus school.

I wish your friends good fortunes. Hope to see them on the mat in some unattached tournaments in the near future...and perhaps push the schollies.... anything is possible.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I agree, walk-ons can be contributers to a program, but a walk-on wrestler becoming the next Cael or Gable is almost completely out of the question. No wrestler will probably ever make the type of impact Cael did anyway.