Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 58,389, Level: 74
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,575
    Points
    58,389
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 1

    Thank you Jesse Smith

    As we head into a new season with lots of new Cyclones ready to step up and carry the momentum that last year's group created, I just want to give one last shout out to Jesse Smith. Man, I'm going to miss the character he brought to our team.

    His last play as a Cyclone epitomized his entire career. You might recall that the clock was winding down in the Insight Bowl and Minnesota was inside our 25 yrd line only needing a field goal to win the game. Knowing they were in the driver's seat, the Gophers chose a safe play and handed the ball off to their running back. With two Minnesota blockers in his face, Smith had absolutely no chance to make the tackle, but he somehow managed to reach desparately between the two blockers with his left arm just far enough to hit the ball loose from the running back's grasp. Another Cyclone recovered the fumble and it was game over - Cyclones win the bowl game.

    As if the play itself wasn't amazing enough, it's what Smith did afterward that made me shake my head. Unlike most of today's players, Jesse didn't strut, beat his chest, or shout "look at me!" after causing that game winning fumble. Nope, Smith just got up off the ground and trotted almost anonymously to sideline, satisfied with watching his teammates and coaches go crazy.

    I've replayed that play so many times on my DVR, and I still shake my head in amazement. Jesse Smith was a truly a great Cyclone. Hopefully, our new young linebackers (also Iowans) learned the most important lesson of all from watching Jesse Smith - that heart, desire, and character are just as important as skill.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,253, Level: 90
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,708
    Points
    85,253
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    As we head into a new season with lots of new Cyclones ready to step up and carry the momentum that last year's group created, I just want to give one last shout out to Jesse Smith. Man, I'm going to miss the character he brought to our team.

    His last play as a Cyclone epitomized his entire career. You might recall that the clock was winding down in the Insight Bowl and Minnesota was inside our 25 yrd line only needing a field goal to win the game. Knowing they were in the driver's seat, the Gophers chose a safe play and handed the ball off to their running back. With two Minnesota blockers in his face, Smith had absolutely no chance to make the tackle, but he somehow managed to reach desparately between the two blockers with his left arm just far enough to hit the ball loose from the running back's grasp. Another Cyclone recovered the fumble and it was game over - Cyclones win the bowl game.

    As if the play itself wasn't amazing enough, it's what Smith did afterward that made me shake my head. Unlike most of today's players, Jesse didn't strut, beat his chest, or shout "look at me!" after causing that game winning fumble. Nope, Smith just got up off the ground and trotted almost anonymously to sideline, satisfied with watching his teammates and coaches go crazy.

    I've replayed that play so many times on my DVR, and I still shake my head in amazement. Jesse Smith was a truly a great Cyclone. Hopefully, our new young linebackers (also Iowans) learned the most important lesson of all from watching Jesse Smith - that heart, desire, and character are just as important as skill.
    Couldn't agree more. Jesse will be missed. Thankfully we have a couple guys that replace him that are outstanding people as well.


    "Not at the table Carlos."

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 35,237, Level: 57
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    istater7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,903
    Points
    35,237
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 75

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    yeah I loved watching him play. he wasn't the most talented or the biggest guy on the field but he always went 110% every play.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 30,138, Level: 53
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,103
    Points
    30,138
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 111

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by istater7 View Post
    yeah I loved watching him play. he wasn't the most talented or the biggest guy on the field but he always went 110% every play.
    I think the guys we have replacing him ARE more talented, hopefully they have the heart as well and we'll be in great shape



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 110,699, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,992
    Points
    110,699
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 663

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by istater7 View Post
    he always went 110% every play.
    THIS

    I don't ever remember seeing a play and thinking to myself "oh if he just would have tried a bit harder....". That never happened with him. He gave it everything he had every play.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 94,324, Level: 95
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,711
    Points
    94,324
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Not that it matters, but it was the backup QB running the ball when Smith knocked it out of his hands.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,408, Level: 83
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,588
    Points
    72,408
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 222

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Klein is from Wisconsin is he not? That being said, I couldn't agree more about Jesse.



  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 4,258, Level: 19
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47
    Points
    4,258
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Not that it matters, but it was the backup QB running the ball when Smith knocked it out of his hands.

    Apparently it matters to you.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,942, Level: 73
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,735
    Points
    56,942
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 68

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Saying he wasn't the most talented is a disservice, I'd say he was pretty talented.



  10. #10
    All-Star cyclonenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,140
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCampanile View Post
    Apparently it matters to you.
    owned



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,559, Level: 76
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the road again
    Posts
    3,816
    Points
    60,559
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 1,034

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Saying he wasn't the most talented is a disservice, I'd say he was pretty talented.
    Yep, he is very talented and a great person as well. He's a success at whatever he chooses to do. He's a fine example for all Iowa State student-athletes.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    He seemed to be in every single play. He was always hitting someone


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 94,324, Level: 95
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,711
    Points
    94,324
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenate View Post
    owned
    Please. I agree completely with the point the OP was making. But, for watching the replay multiple times, you'd think he would realize who was carrying the ball. Pretty obvious.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 18,289, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Ace000087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    749
    Points
    18,289
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Classy post... Jesse Smith's drive and 110% every down last fall was huge.


    1337 Internet. Serious Business.


  15. #15
    Prospect
    Points: 4,258, Level: 19
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47
    Points
    4,258
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Thank you Jesse Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Please. I agree completely with the point the OP was making. But, for watching the replay multiple times, you'd think he would realize who was carrying the ball. Pretty obvious.
    To be fair, and I made the initial reply, I think you may have just been putting up a correction there, so I'll agree with your intent.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM