Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 47,481, Level: 67
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,965
    Points
    47,481
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

    When to buy A/C unit

    We are running a 25 year old A/C unit right now. At some point we would like to replace it, and think that this summer might be the time. There seem to be some HVAC experts on here, so it would be a good place to start.

    I believe that I saw somewhere that there is a major change coming for home A/C units regarding their efficiency. Which leads me the the question of whether it is best to buy now, or wait until next summer?

    If I do buy this summer, when is the best time to do so?



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 30,030, Level: 53
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Points
    30,030
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 107

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    We are running a 25 year old A/C unit right now. At some point we would like to replace it, and think that this summer might be the time. There seem to be some HVAC experts on here, so it would be a good place to start.

    I believe that I saw somewhere that there is a major change coming for home A/C units regarding their efficiency. Which leads me the the question of whether it is best to buy now, or wait until next summer?

    If I do buy this summer, when is the best time to do so?
    I'm no expert, but I would guess December...



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 736,732, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,986
    Points
    736,732
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,559
    Given: 750

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    I would imagine that there are efficiency rebates still out there, but I could be wrong.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 3,077, Level: 16
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    74
    Points
    3,077
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    I am thinking Jan during a blizzard.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 26,533, Level: 49
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,275
    Points
    26,533
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 17

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Unless you have no common sense, you will replace your unit at a time when you need neither cooling nor heating for your house. Most intelligent people would schedule that type of work during the spring or fall so that their HVAC system would be working properly during times of extreme weather.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 39,415, Level: 61
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,647
    Points
    39,415
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    Unless you have no common sense, you will replace your unit at a time when you need neither cooling nor heating for your house. Most intelligent people would schedule that type of work during the spring or fall so that their HVAC system would be working properly during times of extreme weather.
    Chuckles, exactly how long do you think it takes to replace an A/C unit?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    Chuckles, exactly how long do you think it takes to replace an A/C unit?
    Are you talking window unit, or central? I can't imagine a window unit takes any more than an afternoon or so, and our new furnace/a/c was installed and running in two days.

    I would also agree with the premise that getting new central air installed in July probably isn't the best way to go.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 39,415, Level: 61
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,647
    Points
    39,415
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Are you talking window unit, or central? I can't imagine a window unit takes any more than an afternoon or so, and our new furnace/a/c was installed and running in two days.
    OP only mentioned the Central air unit. Half a day tops,



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Ball park figure....how much to replace central air? Ours went out yesterday.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 77,689, Level: 86
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,130
    Points
    77,689
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 33

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_REV View Post
    Ball park figure....how much to replace central air? Ours went out yesterday.
    Alot of variables.... but avg would be $1500.


    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Replacing a air conditioning unit is something that I don't give any thought to since it is quite comfortable in the summers without air conditioning (I live in NW Colorado and my house is at the 7,000 foot elevation level).


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 30,030, Level: 53
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Points
    30,030
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 107

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    Chuckles, exactly how long do you think it takes to replace an A/C unit?
    years



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 87,140, Level: 91
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,132
    Points
    87,140
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Replacing a air conditioning unit is something that I don't give any thought to since it is quite comfortable in the summers without air conditioning (I live in NW Colorado and my house is at the 7,000 foot elevation level).
    You're fortunate(however your UV levels are much higher than what we deal with in the lowlands).

    I hiked up in Colorado a few summers ago and was amazed at the natural a/c.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 26,533, Level: 49
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    iowa_wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,275
    Points
    26,533
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 17

    Re: When to buy A/C unit

    The only trouble with replacing a central air unit in July is that they seem to die when the temp is hovering around 102 in the shade. You call the local HVAC dealers and they tell you that they are swamped but will try to work you in the first of next week.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM