Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Blood Brothers: Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis

For anyone interested, there is currently a big feature article on the front page of the Wall Street Journal website:
    Business News & Financial News - The Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

Here is the link to the article itself:
    Floyd Landis, Lance Armstrong and Doping Allegations - WSJ.com

To Floyd Landis, one of the mysteries of his time with the U.S. Postal Service cycling team was why more new bikes weren't available for the riders. He eventually struck on one possible answer: The team was selling equipment to the public to raise cash. . .
    Sorry, I'm not sure whether it is gated (subscriber only) or not. I am not a big cyclist, or Lance Armstrong fan (or enemy), but it is a pretty good feature article.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 48

Re: Blood Brothers: Lance Armstrong and Floyd Landis

All Lance can do is point to the fact he has never failed any drug tests, even though he has been tested more than any single athlete in history.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 209

Armstrong Addresses Latest Landis Allegations - WSJ.com
    In a statement sent to reporters Saturday morning here before the first day of the Tour de France, cycling's premier event, he dismissed Mr. Landis's claims to The Wall Street Journal as like "a carton of sour milk: once you take the first sip, you don't have to drink the rest to know it has all gone bad."
    The statement also said: "Today's Wall Street Journal article is full of false accusations and more of the same old news from Floyd Landis, a person with zero credibility and an established pattern of recanting tomorrow what he swears to today."
    I would agree with this statement. Innocent until proven guilty I say... and Landis has been proven guilty in the past while Armstrong has never, NEVER tested positive for doping.

Should Armstrong ever test positive and be proven as a doper, then I'd probably stop being a fan. Until then, I ignore all of the slander and cheer for him and the rest of the U.S. riders/teams.

On a different note, I think the sport of cycling gets tagged as a bunch of dopers just because cycling has the most stringent testing methods among all sports resulting in a select few that test positive and make headlines. If the NFL, MLB, etc. had the same testing procedures then I think they'd have the same reputation.

Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,802
    Given: 170

Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    In a statement sent to reporters Saturday morning here before the first day of the Tour de France, cycling's premier event, he dismissed Mr. Landis's claims to The Wall Street Journal as like "a carton of sour milk: once you take the first sip, you don't have to drink the rest to know it has all gone bad."
    The statement also said: "Today's Wall Street Journal article is full of false accusations and more of the same old news from Floyd Landis, a person with zero credibility and an established pattern of recanting tomorrow what he swears to today."
    Not saying I think Lance is a doper, but similar types of things were said about Jose Canseco and Brian McNamee. It's a standard strategy to attack the credibility of the accuser. Doesn't mean that Lance is lying, but it's not at all surprising that this is the tactic he is taking.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Not saying I think Lance is a doper, but similar types of things were said about Jose Canseco and Brian McNamee. It's a standard strategy to attack the credibility of the accuser. Doesn't mean that Lance is lying, but it's not at all surprising that this is the tactic he is taking.
    What is the appropriate response from Lance? Yeah Floyd is a good trustworthy guy, just don't listen to him in this one instance?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,802
    Given: 170

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    What is the appropriate response from Lance? Yeah Floyd is a good trustworthy guy, just don't listen to him in this one instance?
    I didn't say it was an inappropriate response, only that it's a response that we've heard before.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

I would agree with this statement. Innocent until proven guilty I say... and Landis has been proven guilty in the past while Armstrong has never, NEVER tested positive for doping.

Should Armstrong ever test positive and be proven as a doper, then I'd probably stop being a fan. Until then, I ignore all of the slander and cheer for him and the rest of the U.S. riders/teams.

On a different note, I think the sport of cycling gets tagged as a bunch of dopers just because cycling has the most stringent testing methods among all sports resulting in a select few that test positive and make headlines. If the NFL, MLB, etc. had the same testing procedures then I think they'd have the same reputation.
    Lance did have a positive test. I am not sure on the details but he did test positive. I think the B sample may have then come back positive. Anyway, something happened that negated that positive test. If they could have gotten him they would have. He had a huge target on his back the entire time he was winning.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Lance did have a positive test. I am not sure on the details but he did test positive. I think the B sample may have then come back positive. Anyway, something happened that negated that positive test. If they could have gotten him they would have. He had a huge target on his back the entire time he was winning.
    I remember that happening too. What happened was a lab that had a 3 year old urin sample of his allowed unauthorized people to have access to the sample and then they tested it right away afterward - and low and behold the test came back positive for doping. Several people got fired over that incident. If I remember right, the people who got access to the sample were employed by some french newspaper that had an anti-Lance/anti-U.S. cyclist agenda. Anyway, the case got thrown out.

There was another incident this spring before the Tour of California where Lance wouldn't take a test from a random inspector (in France) because he didn't have the proper credentials with him. It was right after a ride so he took a shower first then went and took a test once they guys credentials were proven. The French media blew this story way out of proportion too.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I remember right, the people who got access to the sample were employed by some french newspaper that had an anti-Lance/anti-U.S. cyclist agenda.
    And if you guys didn't know, European newspapers pretty much own pro-cycling. Each of the major tours are owned by an individual newspaper. Some of the papers try to get certain people to win or do well so they can sell more papers. It's kind of hard to sell French papers to French readers if a Frenchman isn't in the top 5. You could see why getting a person from another country DQed would benefit their chances of selling more papers.

It's kind of like U.S. TV broadcasters shaping the football conference scene to get more viewers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Lance is not even close to being the mosted tested athlete in history, even if he or his peope say it.

I did not believe Landis when he said he was not doping but I believe everything he now says about doping is at least close to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    All Lance can do is point to the fact he has never failed any drug tests, even though he has been tested more than any single athlete in history.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't even remember when a French rider was last in the top 5. The last one may have been Fignon in the 80's.

And if you guys didn't know, European newspapers pretty much own pro-cycling. Each of the major tours are owned by an individual newspaper. Some of the papers try to get certain people to win or do well so they can sell more papers. It's kind of hard to sell French papers to French readers if a Frenchman isn't in the top 5. You could see why getting a person from another country DQed would benefit their chances of selling more papers.

It's kind of like U.S. TV broadcasters shaping the football conference scene to get more viewers.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He had a positive test for steroids but produced a "doctor's prescription" after the positivie test. It was suprising that he was able to pull it off at the time and I doubt if it could happen for any rider these days. They need to submit the are taking banned drugs from a prescription before racing.

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here is a link to an IM conversation between 2 former armstrong teammates about doping on the team.

Cycle of denial: The dirty world of cycling | CBC Sports Online

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ffelknirznarf View Post
    Lance is not even close to being the mosted tested athlete in history, even if he or his peope say it.

I did not believe Landis when he said he was not doping but I believe everything he now says about doping is at least close to the truth.
    I can't even remember when a French rider was last in the top 5. The last one may have been Fignon in the 80's.
    He had a positive test for steroids but produced a "doctor's prescription" after the positivie test. It was suprising that he was able to pull it off at the time and I doubt if it could happen for any rider these days. They need to submit the are taking banned drugs from a prescription before racing.
    Multi-quote next to the quote button is your friend.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. Cylcing does have the most stringent tests and the biggest punishments. It is a 2 year suspension for the first positive test. What is baseball, a week?