Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

ISU's Defense

So over the last year I've become reinvigorated with ISU sports and ISU football. The previous 6 years or so I had stopped caring about the sport and did not pay attention. Now though, I'm back in the swing of things and have a few questions about the Xs and Os. Given that I never played football above the middle school level (and wasn't good then) I never got to know the ins and outs of the D. I understand our offense just fine, but ever talking about the comparative advantages of nickel to 4-3 goes over my head when it comes to D. I was hoping someone could give me an overview of the Ds that ISU runs and the times at which they are run.

Thanks!

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 881
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 11

Re: ISU's Defense

Quote Originally Posted by clonefanpaul View Post
    So over the last year I've become reinvigorated with ISU sports and ISU football. The previous 6 years or so I had stopped caring about the sport and did not pay attention. Now though, I'm back in the swing of things and have a few questions about the Xs and Os. Given that I never played football above the middle school level (and wasn't good then) I never got to know the ins and outs of the D. I understand our offense just fine, but ever talking about the comparative advantages of nickel to 4-3 goes over my head when it comes to D. I was hoping someone could give me an overview of the Ds that ISU runs and the times at which they are run.

Thanks!
    Why should we help you, Kirk, of all people??

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 772
    Given: 1,174

Thanks!
    ISU's defense is based off of the ole "punt block" play from Super Nintendo's NES Playaction football. Rhoads learned along time ago when playing the game that if you ran a punt block every play you got a sack everyplay. So when he became ISU's head coach he decided to implement this strategy since he was now the boss. There really are no X's and O's to it, you just line up 11 guys and everyone goes to the ball, end of story.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    Why should we help you, Kirk, of all people??
    I don't see why you have to bring me into this.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    ISU's defense is based off of the ole "punt block" play from Super Nintendo's NES Playaction football. Rhoads learned along time ago when playing the game that if you ran a punt block every play you got a sack everyplay. So when he became ISU's head coach he decided to implement this strategy since he was now the boss. There really are no X's and O's to it, you just line up 11 guys and everyone goes to the ball, end of story.
    Nice, but Rhoads & Burnham don't run that defense EVERY down. In passing situations they line up in the Super Tecmo Bowl formation. The nose tackle just needs to slide down, and it's an instant QB sack everytime. Wally is crafty like that.

To actually answer the OP's question, I really don't know the intricacies of ISU's defense. It's a base 4-3 defense (four defensive linemen, three linebackers, four defensive backs). Often times they run a 4-2-5 (four linemen, two linebackers, five dbs) to counter the passing attacks that have become prevalent in the Big XII recently. Usually the 5th defensive back (nickel back, currently Ter'ran Benton) plays closer to the line of scrimmage, kind of an undersized, speedier linebacker.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by skipisu View Post
    Okay, let me rephrase. I've got some handle on the different types of D there are, but I want to know more about what ISU normally runs, and why we run it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 772
    Given: 1,174

Okay, let me rephrase. I've got some handle on the different types of D there are, but I want to know more about what ISU normally runs, and why we run it.
    I could help you, but I don't know you therefore I don't trust you and won't tell you, lol. But if you make it to an ISU game sometime, send me a PM and I'll come sit by you and tell you what defense ISU is in by their formation/pre-snap movements and why they are lining up that way. PLus it gives me someone new to tell the plays too cause I think I was driving my fiance' nuts telling her.

Recruit
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU's base D is a 4-3, b/c many, many Big12 teams now run a spread offense with 3-5 wideouts they are in the 4-2-5 (Nickel) most of the time b/c it allows more coverage outside the hash marks where the spread is supposed to be most effective. ISU's base Nickel set is somewhat modified with TB playing a hybrid linebacker/db slot from which he can cover guys in the slot, play the run, and blitz b/c our front 4 usually can not get pressure. So all you need to know is when Benton is out there he is the most important player on the field. Welcome back to cyclone football fandom - don't give up on it again.