Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 105,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,581
    Points
    105,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 26,057, Level: 49
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,309
    Points
    26,057
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 83

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Interesting - could be a good scenario for all involved if he can get his **** together.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 135,695, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,342
    Points
    135,695
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 4

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    If this guy weren't a really good wrestler everyone would agree he should be locked up in treatment or prison ... instead we give him a 10th chance. I'm sure he'll change - jeez, we're like the girlfriend trying to mold our badboy boyfriend into marrying material.

    I don't see it happening.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,744, Level: 76
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,118
    Points
    60,744
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 545

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Just because your girlfriend couldn't mold you, doesn't mean other people aren't moldable. (is that even a word?)



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 280,537, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,940
    Points
    280,537
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 191

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    I also don't see it happening, but hope he gets his life in order



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 32,151, Level: 55
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,693
    Points
    32,151
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 187

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    If this guy weren't a really good wrestler everyone would agree he should be locked up in treatment or prison ... instead we give him a 10th chance. I'm sure he'll change - jeez, we're like the girlfriend trying to mold our badboy boyfriend into marrying material.

    I don't see it happening.
    Did you feel the same way with Berryman?

    I might be biased but I think that if he can prove to the staff for an entire year that he is willing to work on his lifestyle that he should be given another chance.

    I'm glad they "booted" him from the team for now. ISU doesnt need any more negative pub from him.

    It just seems to me that if he can straighten up for an entire year then he is on the road to recovery and deserves another chance.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 135,695, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,342
    Points
    135,695
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 4

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Did you feel the same way with Berryman?

    I might be biased but I think that if he can prove to the staff for an entire year that he is willing to work on his lifestyle that he should be given another chance.

    I'm glad they "booted" him from the team for now. ISU doesnt need any more negative pub from him.

    It just seems to me that if he can straighten up for an entire year then he is on the road to recovery and deserves another chance.
    I guess its good to give him a goal. that said, nothing he's done to this point gives us any evidence that he's going to change.

    some psych major on here can clarify but I think there was a study done that people will act in a situation like they've acted in similar situations in the past at a far greater frequency than how they say they will act when questioned about it.

    basically we like to think we'll take the high road, but we tend to do whatever we did before.

    Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneNviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.


    Last edited by clones_jer; 07-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 65,811, Level: 79
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,016
    Points
    65,811
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 9

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    I guess its good to give him a goal. that said, nothing he's done to this point gives us any evidence that he's going to change.

    some psych major on here can clarify but I think there was a study done that people will act in a situation like they've acted in similar situations in the past at a far greater frequency than how they say they will act when questioned about it.

    basically we like to think we'll take the high road, but we tend to do whatever we did before.

    Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.
    This is probably your most well-thought-out, coherent post on this board. Congrats.

    but... uneviable? Huh??

    (BTW, I agree.)



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 80,234, Level: 88
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,716
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,288
    Points
    80,234
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 7

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    this is why i try to keep my mouth closed on what athletes at other schools are doing wrong. someday it is going to happen to one of ours and i am going to hope for the best and that they can stay on the team.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 45,287, Level: 65
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ca4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Central IA
    Posts
    1,929
    Points
    45,287
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 146

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    this is why i try to keep my mouth closed on what athletes at other schools are doing wrong. someday it is going to happen to one of ours and i am going to hope for the best and that they can stay on the team.
    Amen. It always cycles back. No matter how many good student/athletes we have representing us, the FEW that are being knuckleheads are always going to make their headlines.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 32,151, Level: 55
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,693
    Points
    32,151
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 187

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    I guess its good to give him a goal. that said, nothing he's done to this point gives us any evidence that he's going to change.

    some psych major on here can clarify but I think there was a study done that people will act in a situation like they've acted in similar situations in the past at a far greater frequency than how they say they will act when questioned about it.

    basically we like to think we'll take the high road, but we tend to do whatever we did before.

    Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.

    Agreed- More than likely if he was going to learn his lesson it would have occured the time he got fricken tazed by the popo but I trust KJ and the staff and hope that Dylan (his brother) can beat the crap out of him in the room and make him realize that he has too much talent to waste.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 444,933, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,290
    Points
    444,933
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 96

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Agreed- More than likely if he was going to learn his lesson it would have occured the time he got fricken tazed by the popo but I trust KJ and the staff and hope that Dylan (his brother) can beat the crap out of him in the room and make him realize that he has too much talent to waste.
    I hope he doesn't see the room. He needs to learn some responsibility and a good lesson in wise decision making. The room doesn't help that. You can't babysit a 21 year old, or at least you shouldn't have to. He needs to get his life figured out before he worries about wrestling.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 135,695, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,342
    Points
    135,695
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 4

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    This is probably your most well-thought-out, coherent post on this board. Congrats.

    but... uneviable? Huh??

    (BTW, I agree.)
    unenviable ... I miss 1 letter and you get all up in my face.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 65,811, Level: 79
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,016
    Points
    65,811
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 9

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    unenviable ... I miss 1 letter and you get all up in my face.
    I wondered if that wasn't what it was, but can never be sure with you.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 165,151, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    12,866
    Points
    165,151
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,524
    Given: 1,988

    Re: Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I hope he doesn't see the room. He needs to learn some responsibility and a good lesson in wise decision making. The room doesn't help that. You can't babysit a 21 year old, or at least you shouldn't have to. He needs to get his life figured out before he worries about wrestling.
    I disagree. Unless it was the other guys in the room that were enabling the problem being able to focus 100% on studying and wrestling is probably the best course of action. Cutting him off completely would probably just make it worse. If he is committed to turning his life around then he needs to cut out what was causing the issue, not the things that give him a reason to succeed.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM